1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

$25 worth of wood

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by soggybag, Jul 22, 2017.

1. soggybag

soggybag Tele-Meister

I got this wood for $25 at the recycling center. It's all about 2" x 12" x 37". There is some checking and the edges are pretty rough and rotted in a couple places. Some of it looks like redwood, though I'm not sure.

I got 7 pieces. Pairs seem like they would be more than large enough for a body with plenty of play.

What do you think, worth the money, about $4-5 per board?

Will the checking be a problem, or can this be glued or filled with something?

I was pricing body blanks and the cost is really high these days, especially when shipping ends up at $25 and up. I figured I'd get some practice in on some cheaper wood. Though it looks like these boards will require time and effort to get into shape.

For reference the long ruler is 42" and the small one is 6"

IMG_0068.jpg IMG_0069.jpg IMG_0070.jpg

Ekko, Raimonds, John Nicholas and 2 others like this.
  2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

go for it..... to resolve the cracks etc... use the clear epoxy used for countertops.. it's slow cure and extremely strong... the slow cure allows it to wick deeply into the cracks and into the fibers in the walls of those cracks... let it cure over night then use it just like ya would any wood....
    keep us posted and welcome to the party...

here's a listing of the resin

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=262993487143

Ron Kirn

3. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Of course I am looking at the quartered piece thinking acoustic guitar.

4. soggybag

soggybag Tele-Meister

Thanks for the epoxy tip.

My plan so far. Flatten one side with the router sled, rip one side, then set router table up as a jointer and square up one side.

5. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Definitely worth the price.

6. soggybag

soggybag Tele-Meister

I figured it was a deal with the caveat that I manage to make something with it.

7. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Oh that stuff looks great. I bet those checks don't go too far into the wood, but even if they do Ron's suggestion will fix it. Don't be surprised if the bodies you make from this turn out beautiful - that stuff is far from "trash" for sure.

Rex

8. soggybag

soggybag Tele-Meister

AFE8F807-0E71-4579-87CF-417A29A5E6A4.jpeg I’m finally getting back to this wood. I built this router sled from an old shelf, and got an 1 1/2” planing bit from amazon.

The bit makes this go really fast and leaves the surface really clean.

The wide sled looks awkward but works well. I should put some handles on it!

Ekko likes this.
  9. soggybag

soggybag Tele-Meister

365BD1C7-AED5-41C2-8A69-C18B51A60382.jpeg FC96BF8E-33EE-45EB-9206-BA9382387314.jpeg Here’s a picture of one blank I made today. It’s 18” long. And about 2” too narrow for a tele body. I’m debating how to work with it.

What kind of wood do you think this is? I thought it might be redwood?

dickjonesify, Macrogats, Ekko and 3 others like this.
  10. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

Definitely Redwood,makes a nice light guitar.Its usually pretty soft though.

11. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Here's a suggestion to make your blank wide enough for a Tele... since it's more then long enough to fit the body with a bit left over. Cut out a chunk, after staring at the grain and attempting to match it as best as possible. True the edges and glue two blocks where the lower bout of the body will be. If you do it right, the glue line will be virtually non-existent.

Here's a photo of what I did...

IMG_0564.JPG

Hopefully the blank you have is wide enough for the front bout of the Tele body... if not you can repeat the process there as well.

The wood looks fabulous!!

12. TRexF16

Let me pile on to this idea by suggesting you use the same wood from the same slab if you can get away with it. Like this:
    Tele blank too narrow.jpg
    You'll have to measure carefully to see if this will work, but if it will, it's a good approach. Careful joinery and bandsawing very close to the line will be key. And if you do a solid color or burst you can get away with any piece of wood there.
    Best of luck with it, that's great wood.
    Rex

13. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Afflicted

wow, love the idea above of same wood and look fwd to using that! good call!

op - it'd be hard to get a better deal than you got and looks like some good stuff. nice work.

14. soggybag

soggybag Tele-Meister

Thanks for the advice. I think I can handle this. I just need to tru up the edges and add some wood.

15. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

I recognize those by the grooves. Here in NORCAL there are a lot of old farms with huge old redwood water tanks built into wooden towers. A good friend of mine is a dairy farmer and just disassembled his. He’s going to install a hot tub on the top of the old tower portion. Not a bad way to catch a sunset. I’ll check in with him to see if he wants to part with any of the wood. I know there are some wood scroungers around here.......

16. TRexF16

You talkin' to me?

DrASATele and Barncaster like this.
  17. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Nice score on that wood soggybag. John or TRex's ideas should work for you. I have the same problem with some nice black acacia I've got.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.