24 Years

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
Congrats FR!! That's a great accomplishment!!

It's also a great feeling to know that those around you support and care about you 100%. Keep it up, you're worth it.

BTW you probably weren't that good at playing pool..... ;)

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Kudos Fiesta,it takes massive courage and will power to maintain that, and a strong will to change, my hats off to you.
I quit for 2 years cold , for similar reasons ( over 35 years ago). But i was lucky enough to realize I could enjoy myself with a maximum of 2 beers or less and walk away from it with out regrets , its been about 2.5 years since my last beer , I can take it or leave it , I may have a glass of wine with dinner . but I am cogniscent of my intake all the time. and in the last 30 years have only fallen down the rabbit hole 2 times. I got sick and tired of waking up sick and tired.

Again be proud you deserve it!

Last edited:

Wheelhouse

Tele-Meister
Now just think of all the money you saved NOT buying alcohol that you were able to put into instruments and gear! ;)

Best wishes to you.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I salute you for not drinking alcohol. I had many wonderful times while drinking, but it's a funny thing, the longer you do it, less the wonderful times show up. It takes something internal to make one stop drinking, at least for me it did, I came to the conclusion that I had as good a life going, as I was ever going to, and that the only thing that could mess it up was booze so I stopped, right then, and never drank again. The end of this year will be twenty-five years for me.

During the course of my drinking, I was beaten as badly as a human can be and survive three times by the gendarmes. It did not dissuade me from drinking. It only made me more aware of when and where to drink, and to ALWAYS have an escape plan. The last beating was so bad, and my resistance so great, had I not had the good luck to have a bail bondsman who employed a criminal photographer, I would have been in serious trouble. There were seventeen blackjack marks on my back and shoulders, and the pics he had his guy take, saved my bacon. That and emergency room receipts for having my right shoulder, which was dislocated, relocated. ;)

Drink for some of us is just plain trouble for others it's something to augment a special occasion. I wish I had could have stayed at the augment occasion stage of drinking. Drinking Jack straight out of the bottle put an end to that. I don't know if stopping drinking was a vast improvement in my life, but I'm pretty sure by now I would be dead had I not quit. Instead, I woke up this morning not dead yet at the age of 79.

scrapyardblue

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I can have a drink without getting too silly, so I've never been in your shoes, Red. I do know several who have been and are now sober and I consider stopping to be a tremendous personal accomplishment. Great job.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I salute you for not drinking alcohol. I had many wonderful times while drinking, but it's a funny thing, the longer you do it, less the wonderful times show up. It takes something internal to make one stop drinking, at least for me it did, I came to the conclusion that I had as good a life going, as I was ever going to, and that the only thing that could mess it up was booze so I stopped, right then, and never drank again. The end of this year will be twenty-five years for me.

During the course of my drinking, I was beaten as badly as a human can be and survive three times by the gendarmes. It did not dissuade me from drinking. It only made me more aware of when and where to drink, and to ALWAYS have an escape plan. The last beating was so bad, and my resistance so great, had I not had the good luck to have a bail bondsman who employed a criminal photographer, I would have been in serious trouble. There were seventeen blackjack marks on my back and shoulders, and the pics he had his guy take, saved my bacon. That and emergency room receipts for having my right shoulder, which was dislocated, relocated. ;)

Drink for some of us is just plain trouble for others it's something to augment a special occasion. I wish I had could have stayed at the augment occasion stage of drinking. Drinking Jack straight out of the bottle put an end to that. I don't know if stopping drinking was a vast improvement in my life, but I'm pretty sure by now I would be dead had I not quit. Instead, I woke up this morning not dead yet at the age of 79.
I never got mouthy or angry or violent, I got lazy, goofy and tired. I only had a couple of interactions with the police—and both came out ok…during one of them, they thought I was funny and drove me home.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I never got mouthy or angry or violent, I got lazy, goofy and tired. I only had a couple of interactions with the police—and both came out ok…during one of them, they thought I was funny and drove me home.
I have nothing but the utmost respect for the boys in blue after my last altercation with them, and that was a long, long time ago. I was like Cool Hand Luke; my mind was right boss!

teletail

Friend of Leo's
A singer I played with years ago had a drinking problem - he liked to drink, his wife was a problem. Anyway, she had a mid level government job and her office had a Christmas party at someone’s house. He got obnoxiously drunk, made snarky comments about her co-workers, and passed out laying in the hall. One of her friends found him and let her know what happened. We had rehearsal the next day and man you could have gotten frostbite from the looks she was giving. He quit drinking for about a year, but wound up off the wagon.

Last edited: