24 Years

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
August 8, 1998.
I was playing slide guitar, harmonica and occasional vocals in a too-large band, and we were holding a band rehearsal and dinner at my home.

I made sure we had supplies for my world-famous Pink Cadillac Margaritas (recipe in a following post)…and a twelve pack of Miller Lite…and some higher-end sippin’ tequila for shots…and…well, you get the point…

I got loaded early and unfortunately didn’t slow the roll…I kept slamming back drinks for several hours, all the while trying to rehearse the uneven mix of blues and rock and pop and country songs. I even gave Clapton the Weenie Dog (1993-1998, RIP) a bowlful of beer and got him wobbly.

I’ve heard of “blind drunk”, but I used to occasionally get “deaf-drunk”…drunk enough that I really couldn’t hear things around me. I think it was actually psychological or mental—I just couldn’t focus so I couldn’t or didn’t hear anything unless I mustered all my attention on one thing, which was dang near impossible in that condition.

I got queasy, then nauseous, then out-and-out sick. I’ll spare you the details, but things came up that hadn’t been seen in years…I’m sure a forensic archeologist could have found evidence of Amelia Earhart’s remains.

Embarrassed my wife.
Embarrassed myself.
Irritated my band mates.

Woke up the next morning with jackhammers and sirens in my head. “Sunday Morning Coming Down” would have been a fitting soundtrack…but I decided not to take the hair of the dog that bit me. Instead, I decided to come clean and be forthright and honest with myself and my wife.

We had a very blunt conversation—or more correctly, she gave a very blunt soliloquy to let me know what was wrong with my behavior.

August 9, 1998
First day of sobriety.
White-knuckled it for a while.
Read the Big Blue Book (helpful).
Went to a few meetings (not helpful—actually made me want to drink…I’m an acquaintance of Bill, not a friend).
Learned to go to a party sober.
Learned to go to a concert sober.
Learned how to play a gig/jam/rehearsal sober.
Learned to deal with anger and sadness and frustration sober.
Still haven’t regained my billiards skills sober, but I enjoy playing any way.

So 24 years ago today, I had my last drink.

I can be around alcohol—I can play in a bar or go to a show in a bar or go to a party where alcohol is served. I’ve even gone to wine tastings and had a fun time watching everyone else (I politely decline). I even play bartender for my wife and her friends. 99.999% of the time alcohol is not a temptation, and during that 0.001% of the time that I kinda want a drink, I just “change the channel” in my mind and I’m ok.

Life is better sober.

Last edited:

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
For those of us who can imbibe alcohol moderately and responsibly:

Fiesta Red’s Pink Cadillac Margaritas

1 can frozen limeade
1 package frozen strawberries
Tequila (gold or white)
Triple Sec
Ice cubes

-Put limeade in blender
-Fill empty limeade can with tequila (3/4 full) and triple sec (1/4), put in blender
-blend well
—put 1/2 of this blended mix aside (this will be your second batch; it will last in the fridge for at least one week)
-with remaining half of mix in blender, add ice cubes until it is slushy but drinkable
-add frozen strawberries until drink is the color of Elvis’s pink Cadillac.

Enjoy with salted rim on your cup, or not.

***caution—this concoction will make your children be born naked.

Last edited:

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
August 8, 1998.
I was playing slide guitar, harmonica and occasional vocals in a too-large band, and we were holding a band rehearsal and dinner at my home.

I made sure we had supplies for my world-famous Pink Cadillac Margaritas (recipe in a following post)…and a twelve pack of Miller Lite…and some higher-end sippin’ tequila for shots…and…well, you get the point…

I got loaded early and unfortunately didn’t slow the roll…I kept slamming back drinks for several hours, all the whole trying to rehearse the uneven mix of blues and rock and pop and country songs. I even gave Clapton the Weenie Dog (1993-1998, RIP) a bowlful of beer and got him wobbly.

I’ve heard of “blind drunk”, but I used to occasionally get “deaf-drunk”…drunk enough that I really couldn’t hear things around me. I think it was actually psychological or mental—I just couldn’t focus so I couldn’t or didn’t hear anything unless I mustered all my attention on one thing, which was dang near impossible in that condition.

I got queasy, then nauseous, then out-and-out sick. I’ll spare you the details, but things came up that hadn’t been seen in years…I’m sure a forensic archeologist could have found evidence of Amelia Earhart’s remains.

Embarrassed my wife.
Embarrassed myself.
Irritated my band mates.

Woke up the next morning with jackhammers and sirens in my head. “Sunday Morning Coming Down” would have been a fitting soundtrack…but I decided not to take the hair of the dog that bit me. Instead, I decided to come clean and be forthright and honest with myself and my wife.

We had a very blunt conversation—or more correctly, she gave a very blunt soliloquy to let me know what was wrong with my behavior.

August 9, 1998
First day of sobriety.
White-knuckled it for a while.
Read the Big Blue Book (helpful).
Went to a few meetings (not helpful—actually made me want to drink…I’m an acquaintance of Bill, not a friend).
Learned to go to a party sober.
Learned to go to a concert sober.
Learned how to play a gig/jam/rehearsal sober.
Learned to deal with anger and sadness and frustration sober.
Still haven’t regained my billiards skills sober, but I enjoy playing any way.

So 24 years ago today, I had my last drink.

I can be around alcohol—I can play in a bar or go to a show in a bar or go to a party where alcohol is served. I’ve even gone to wine tastings and had a fun time watching everyone else (I politely decline). I even play bartender for my wife and her friends. 99.999% of the time alcohol is not a temptation, and during that 0.001% of the time that I kinda want a drink, I just “change the channel” in my mind and I’m ok.

Life is better sober.
As a frequent drinker myself......and one who doesn't lose control, (anymore) I have to applaud anyone who WANTS to quit and CAN quit. Too many folks can't do a lot of things in moderation, and so it's better they don't do them at all. As I've said before, I NEVER drink anything (other than water) on a gig. I have to maintain every ounce of control I can muster, plus I feel it affects my voice in a bad way. I probably feel similar to you about quitting smoking in 1981.....THAT'S the best "vice" related thing I ever gave up.
Anyway, congratulations, and I'm happy for you. ;)

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
My longest stretch has been one year. I've been mostly sober over the last 3-4 years at least. I can be at a bar as long as I'm there for a purpose. If I'm just hanging out watching people drinking, I can't handle it.

Just about a month ago my son-in-law was down here with his wife and the grandkids. He rented a beach house a few miles from here, so we spent a few days down there with them. Sitting on the beach, fishing, and watching my son-in-laws drinking ice cold beer got to me. I didn't drink then, but a few days afterwards, I grabbed a 12 pack one night. A few days later I was back to drinking whiskey, and I was so sick I couldn't eat. The fear of alcohol withdrawal makes me drink like a madman.

I am sober again now.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Good for you and congratulations. My cousin was an alcoholic and quit and stayed sober until she passed last year. I was lucky and inherited my mother's intolerance for alcohol. I go from kind of happy to hugging a toilet. It was hard to not drink as a young man; especially traveling and socializing for work. I learned moderation and since I retired, I only have a beer when I go out for Mexican food, otherwise I don't drink alcohol. I treat it like smoking, it is just something that I don't need anymore.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Congratulations on a wonderful goal, a wonderful history and the strength and courage to make a difference in your life. Hats off to you.

For others I have these rules that I stick to....
#1 Never go someplace just to have a drink
#2 Never drink with the goal of getting drunk
#3 Always eat before, during and after having drinks.

Always have a plan to let a sober person drive.

For those of you with courage to quit I have much admiration. You've got character.