24” Scale guitars? What’s out there?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jakedog, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity

Height adjustment? Lower the bass side and raise the treble side?

2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I believe the Martin D Junior (flattop) has a 24" scale.

3. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

I think the OP is right that unless you look at something fairly rare the Fender models mentioned are the best bets. Curious about the dead feel. Was it the feel of the instrument or the plugged in sound? The imports I have (Mustang and Duo-sonic) both had pretty horrible sounding pickups to me but with some mods sound and play very nice.

4. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

A bit more expensive, but I've really fallen in love with my core PRS Starla. Really a great guitar

5. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Really nice guitars, but they are a little bit longer scale - 24.5" scale so it's closer to Gibson scale (LPs are typically roughly 24.6" scale) than it is to 24" scale.

Core (well technically "pre-Core") Starlas and Miras are great bargains. I find it interesting that PRS keeps moving those 2 models "downscale" - they were among the first S2 models when they split the USA production into 2 lines. Then they dropped them from the S2 line at the beginning of 2019, but just revived them as part of the SE line.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  6. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

My mistake .. It just felt shorter and I actually thought it was 24".

But yeah .. it's a great guitar and killer bargain. Seller just couldn't get rid of it. Don't know if people got it mixed up with the S2 lines or whether retro looking guitars with bigsbys just don't speak to people?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  7. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Unfortunately both the Mira and Starla had low used values pretty much from day 1, probably because they were outside the typical PRS "box". Which is probably why PRS has been willing to move both models down to the S2 lineup and now to the SE lineup. But in moving the Starla from core to S2 they have changed it from 24.5" scale to 25" scale (the Mira was always 25" scale); the just announced SE version will also be 25" scale (and no Bigsby on it).

PRS did make less expensive "pre-Core" versions of the Mira and Starla - the Mira X and Starla X - and the Mira X had the 24.5" scale instead of the 25" scale; they also did a "Mira 245" for the 25th Anniversary in 2000 that had both the 24.5" scale and had P90s instead of humbuckers.

8. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

You really like PRS or just these quirky models?

9. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

IMG_0178.JPG IMG_0170.JPG IMG_0163.JPG
    Must be to match his Tele headstock.. Can't tell if it's a square heel cut though.
    I have a similar rig but it's 25.5 scale with 2 Sanford Magnetics Humbuckers, Rutters Half Tele bridge. Tele cut pocket and neck. And of course my 24" scale Jaguarillo with Staytrem bridge and Lollar P90's

10. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

I have talked with the guy at Tonebomb. They seem willing to do about anything you want. They have a Mustang Tele hybrid body that he says is regular 25.5 scale but they also make regular Mustang bodies. I bet he could work with you on something you want.. I gave him a list for a 25.5 scale body with several mods for a Tele Mustang hybrid and he said no problem... I just messaged them off their facebook page and he got back to me same day..
    I'm not affiliated in any way just telling you my experience with them. They seem like they do good work on their bodies and very reasonably priced imo.

I'm gonna build something , not sure if it will be a TeleStang or a Stangcaster..? wtf lol. My intentions are something like this.. Tele-Mustang hybrid, Mustang body shape with many Tele appointments / 24.75" scale Tele cut neck and neck pocket / 2 P90's? / Rutters half bridge / Tele control cavity probably back routed but with a toggle switch... something along those lines..
    I ordered the Neck yesterday from BGP. (Best Guitar Parts.)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    schmee likes this.
  11. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I liked the quirky models - I was really interested in them (particularly the Mira) when they first came out 12-13 years ago but never pulled the trigger. I do have a different quirky PRS - the Vela - which I recently picked up. My other electric at the moment is also quirky - a Fender Mustang (American Performer version).

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

13. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity

I'm liking the Fender Player Series Jaguar in H/S format.
    [​IMG]Has the large headstock.

14. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Yeah ... Quirky is good .. I can vouch for that.

I'll make a mental note of those mustangs. I wouldn't be surpriced if they'll go on some sort of sale after xmas :)

15. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I guess for me the die was cast with my first "good" (i.e. not dime store) guitar back in 1979 - a Fender Lead II.

I have been thinking that the American Performer Mustang might be on the chopping block as the Mustang isn't a "huge market" model and they just dropped a more vintage-style model in the Vintera series (for $200 less than the American Performer), but Fender just did a new demo video for the model. In all honesty I bought mine just about as soon as they were available; ordered it from Guitar Center sight unseen. Fender dropped the original Mustang in late 1981 or early 1982 (my sophomore year in college) and I never wound up getting one. I jumped at the opportunity to get one of the first USA-built Mustangs in 36 years.

Here's John C's current "Island of Misfit Guitars":

[​IMG]

zippofan and Zepfan like this.
  16. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

MustangTele.jpg Here's a nice set up. This is a regular size Mustang body with the bridge moved back a little to allow a 25.5" scale neck to be used..
    Pretty sweet I'd say.
    Pic off of another forum..

cdwillis likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.