24” Scale guitars? What’s out there?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jakedog, Aug 22, 2019.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The right Tele neck pickup can sound fabulous.

E5RSY and Jakedog like this.
  2. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i clearly have never played one of the right ones. the one in my 90s mim only sounds good in the middle position and it's muddy garbage by itself.

3. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

Even worse a 12" radius neck. Old, crooked fingers like more curved necks.

4. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

5. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

Squier did (perhaps still do) a hardtail 24" scale Strat in a beginner pack, with small amp, crappy lead etc. I managed to talk a LGS into splitting the pack and he just sold me the guitar.......great fun and the neck will fit a standard Strat neck pocket and it intonates, so is in effect a "conversion neck"......

Edit..still available this side of the pond!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fender-Squier-Stratocaster-Sunburst-Laurel/dp/B07J5Q9PVH

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yes and MIM did it for a very short time. I had one. It was like a Std Strat with short scale. Sold it to a woman with small hands to play. I didn't realize how rare it was at the time. I havent seen one on Ebay since. I bought mine locally. I think Fender immediately went to making them as Squier.

7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

And yes, as mentioned above the early Squier VM tele thinline was 24.75" (not 24" I believe) and came in black or gold.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  8. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

The Squier Bullet Mustangs have a 24" scale

Like mine, very cheap used. I have modded mine a bit though;-)

[​IMG]

Matthias likes this.
  9. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

I’ve been watching for a good deal on a used Blacktop HH Jaguar for a while now, but the prices seem really high for a used MIM Fender. I’ve wanted once since I installed a TOM bridge on a Squier Vintage Modified HH Jaguar a few years ago, and I’m always amazed at how great the thing plays and sounds, considering I payed $200 for it.

It’s the one on the right.
    0FDF0181-A330-49F7-9D66-4F82A394739E.png

10. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Plenty of inexpensive used Hamer XT instruments out there with a short scale length. This was originally a hardtail -- I added the trem.

20190518_111635.jpg

Zepfan likes this.
  11. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Kind of a silly suggestion and the bridge sucks + it has a vibrato tailpiece, but the Squier Vintage Modified Mustang (not Classic Vibe) has some hot pickups which to me give off a strong GD vibe.

12. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

My Burns Brian May is 24'' scale. Loads of sounds and easy to block the Strat style trem.

Jakedog likes this.
  13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If it's all wired correctly, you simply have the rong pickup. Get another.

Fender Texas Special, '62 Custom Telecaster, Twisted Tele, and Tonerider Vintage Plus neck pickups are, or have been, in this household. Each has it's own flavor of full and well-defined. Each can be bright if that's what you want to emphasize with the amp. None of them has anything muddy going on.

There are a hundred other Tele neck pickups that are full and position-appropriate, but with lots of note definition and treble on tap if needed.

14. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Ooooo ... I want one of those.

15. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

if that's the case then the stock one on my mim tele is garbage.

16. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I love the PRS SE-245 with the wrap-around.
    It's like Paul Reed Smith looked at a "Blow By Blow" Les Paul and said "We can do this better."
    And they did too.
    Mine shipped well packed to my door for $499.00 and I've since bought Her my Numero Uno hardcase a Guardian CG-056 Café Case. Something about ergonomics and Tear Drop Café Cases, maybe it's because You'll never damage moldings again (I know that's why The Ladies Love 'em.)

If You want to go back to the 1960's the Rickenbacker 325 and 320's were the short scale rulers, I'm thinking under 24" if there's a shred of memory left.:D

17. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

RoyBGood likes this.
  18. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was thinking about short-scale Rics also so I looked them up - on the reissue of the 50s 325s they used a 20.75" scale and the 60s reissue 325 they used a 21" scale so they are really short scale compared to a 24" Fender. Rickenbacker has discontinued the 325 '58 reissue but is still making the 325 '64 reissue (the one with the 21" scale neck).

The current Brian May guitar was mentioned early on in this thread but I'll point out that almost all of the various Brian May guitars made over the years by Guild, Burns, and private custom builders are 24" scale (one of the Guild 1990s May models was the more normal 24 3/4" scale).

Jakedog likes this.
  19. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

One of those passed through our Guitar Center just recently; I spent some time with it and really liked it. I forgot it was shorter scale tbh, it still sounded like a Tele to me. Good deal if you can find one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.