1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

22W Tweed Bassman

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by smuc, Apr 4, 2021.

1. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

Well, after a while of fiddling with the amp, I have finally finished my tweed Bassman head. Really happy how it sounds. Don't have the possibility to record the amp through a proper cabinet (which is a shame because through the cab it sounds amazing), so I am putting a few clips recorded through a reactive load and a couple of IRs.

Hope you guys like it!

IMG_5719.JPG IMG_5724.JPG

2. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been playing around more and more with modeled Bassmans. Now, I really want one. This sounds great.

3. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

You sometimes wish Fender would be a little more creative, with their reissue decisions.....a '52, perhaps?

01_BASSMAN_52BassmanfrontRonOKeefe.jpg 02_BASSMAN_52BassmanBackOpenRonOKeefe.jpg

mojek and Willie Johnson like this.
  4. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

Sounds awesome, congrats and well done.

5. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

Great looking build. Classic Rock crunch in your recording. Is the perceived volume much lower than a regular Bassman?

6. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

Thanks mate.

Thanks. The recordings were done through a reactive load. The amp was cranked quite a bit and the channels were bridged if I remember correctly. The speaker plays a big role in regards to volume. These settings through the 1x12" with the Celestion G12H30 Anni from the photo would be ear blisteringly loud. Same settings through a 1x10" cab with the Celestion Tube 10 yields significantly less volume. Perhaps a 2x10" or a 1x12" with a G12M Greenback would be a good compromise. And head to head with a proper Bassman through the same 4x10" cab I would expect roughly the same volumes but the original would probably sound "cleaner/clearer" above 6-7.

7. NTC

NTC Tele-Holic

6V6'S I assume?

8. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

Sounds great! Nice grimy grind going on. That's pretty awesome, to be able to build something like that yourself.

9. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

That‘s right. It‘s actually JJ6V6S which are a kind of „baby 6L6“.

Thanks. I‘ve spent quite a bit of time and money building amps and pedals and I often ask myself if it‘s worth it. Especially when I say I‘m going to the workshop and the missus gives me the raised ˋbrow. It can be frustrating at times but the challenge of learning and improving something is quite rewarding.

dan40 and Cali Dude like this.
  10. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Afflicted

You could be spending your time doing worse things for sure and more expensive
    tractor pulling.

It does sound fantastic
    So do you have a schematic for curious eyes.

11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

It's not a "Bassman", though, is it?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  12. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

Very nice!!! I have put together a half Bassman chassis lately.

Obviously those stupid small front wheels are needed because of regulations? Fun watching anyhow :)

13. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

sick. i always wanted to try one in a vibro champ or PR chassis. how big is the head you built it into?

14. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

Thanks! I don't really have a schematic, used a standard 5F6A schematic and tweaked the values to taste and need. Classic Bassman preamp with first coupling caps at 22n and 4.7n for the bright channel. PI input coupling is at 4.7n, the other side of the PI is at 22n. A 12AT7 in the PI, 10K tail, 56K Feedback (from 4ohm tap) Trainwreck type 3 Master, 10K grid stoppers, 22n PI coupling, 220K grid leaks, 1.5K screen stoppers and a switchable rectification.

It does not have 6L6s in, so it is not a "real" Bassman. It does have a Bassman style preamp and tonestack so you could also argue that somehow it is. :)

It is a relatively compact head. The donor was a Hartke GT60H. So 191 mm (7 1/2”) H x 508 mm (20”) B x 229 mm (9”) T.

Vibro Champ would be tough, with the PR you could maybe get away with.

Mongo Park and loopfinding like this.
  15. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Does it have the cathode follower or is it a plate driven tone stack?

16. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

One of my favorite amps for a long time, a long time ago, was a Traynor Bass Mate head. I punched a third preamp tube into the chassis, installed a tube rectifier and wired in a Bassman circuit. If your amp is a 6V6 Bassman, you've got a winner there, it's a killer circuit.

17. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

Cathode follower.

18. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Nice. I bet that amp rocks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.