22 frets, swapping pick guards without neck removal

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ape Factory, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Ape Factory

Ape Factory TDPRI Member

Any creative solutions to this minor dilemma? I have this really wicked Telecaster I built and I'm able to swap out the bridge pickup in a matter of minutes (no soldering). Problem is, I have a neck humbucker and that, combined with the 22-fret neck, means I can't get the pick guard out from underneath the overhang without unbolting the neck. I really don't want to do that too often. I've got another pick guard now loaded with a traditional Telecaster single coil and a matching pickup for the bridge (Kleea tall blues set). Want to test it vs. the original Fralin Unbucker/Blues special setup and be able to go back and forth quickly as I have no short term memory. Ok I jest. A bit.

Now the best solution is to just build another telecaster (you can never have too many right?). Wondering if anyone's trimmed back the pick guard to facilitate removal with an attached neck and did it make things look overly weird? Thinking maybe a spot of flat black tape over the location may hide things visually but I don't want to start filing away just yet.

Advice appreciated.

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Lift the back edge of the pickguard, scoot it back and up. It will come off.

3. Ape Factory

Ape Factory TDPRI Member

The humbucker actually stops it from doing that. Can't lift it high enough to get the bottom edge of the humbucker over the neck route.

4. Dennis Brown

Dennis Brown Tele-Meister

I have had the same problem and I tried a number of things. In the end, I found it was easier and safer to just remove the neck, at least partially. Didn't want to scratch up my guitar. You can drop the pickup and get the pickguard out, but you can't install or remove as long as the pickup is installed on the pickguard, at least from my experience.

5. Ape Factory

Ape Factory TDPRI Member

Grr. I was afraid of that. Might have to come up with something creative.

6. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Cut off the fretboard extension. No one needs to play that high anyway....;)

7. Jake D

Jake D Tele-Holic

Also, you can try to raise the pickup in the pickguard. It can decrease the depth of the pickup and make it easier to pop over the pickup route. Top tip!

8. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

One thing you can do is to put threaded inserts into the neck and replace the screws with bolts. Onyx Forge has a nice set, and forum member Chet Johnson also sells a very nice set. Or, if you have a good local hardware store you may be able to source the inserts yourself.

[​IMG]

It's really quite easy to do and once the inserts are in there you can remove and replace the neck as often as you want without damaging any threads.

9. Dennis Brown

Dennis Brown Tele-Meister

I think you can use an angle grinder and do that with the still neck on the guitar. Just be careful not to nick the pickguard. :p

10. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

^^^^^^^^^^this!

11. Jake D

Jake D Tele-Holic

This is called the Highway 1 Method.

12. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yep.

13. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Hahaha!

14. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Holic

why not loosen the strings then loosen, but not remove, the 4 screws that secure the neck to the body. That would allow the neck to lift off or tilt back out of the way enough for you to get the PG off.

15. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

What's with the reluctance to pull the neck? If it's never been removed before you'll want to remove it all the way if the paint's created a seal. After that just detune & capo the strings loosen the screws and tilt..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.