22 fret neck to 21 fret neck?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by AbleMob, Jul 17, 2021.

1. AbleMob

AbleMob TDPRI Member

Just for convenience of changing pickups or pickguard, I was thinking of cutting down the fretboard of my 22 fret Indio/Monoprice tele down to 21 frets. I looks like I should be able to do this by removing the last fret and carefully cutting, even if it's at a slight bevel. I've attached 2 photos. IMG_4245.jpg IMG_4244.jpg Anybody have experience with this in regards to the actual width of the notch that would be left over?

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Holic

I haven't actually done it, but it looks like a slight bevel will take care of it. I doubt that you'll even be able to tell.

Skydog1010 and AbleMob like this.
  3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

You can do it, and hide it with a roundover.

I don't "get" why you feel inconvenienced...but you can do it.

as5431, King-of-Tone and radiocaster like this.
  4. AbleMob

AbleMob TDPRI Member

The "inconvenience" is minor at most; more for a sleeker look which I appreciate on my Squier bullet.

5. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

I’ve done it on a cheap neck and it turned out better than I thought it would.

King-of-Tone likes this.
  6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You've already done a third of the work just by removing the neck! This should be pretty easy if you have the tools for the job.

Gardo likes this.
  7. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Duplicate

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  8. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Wow! I guess different strokes for different folks. I won't buy an electric guitar that has less than 22 frets. All my Fender types have 22 frets. The 1952 Les Paul's had 22 frets and the 1954 Stratocaster had 6 saddles and the 1954 Les Paul Custom had a 6 saddle tune-o-matic bridge. I don't see any reason why in 2021 a guitarist should settle for less than 22 frets and 6 bridge saddles on an electric. It's true we don't play up at the very top that often. But sometimes we want to finish with a big buildup climbing up the fret board and hit that climactic high D as the finishing note to a song or solo. I want to have the option of that high D or bend up to high E for those rare occasions.

9. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Guess not everyone is you.

Here's a reason for you...

Due to my frequent changing of Tele pickups & sometimes pickguards I also prefer 21 frets. My 22-fret Warmoth makes the work a big pain. If I want those high notes my fingers are strong enough to bend up to 'em - yours aren't?

Skydog1010 and RomanS like this.
  10. Gardo

Gardo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For ease of changing pickups I trimmed the pickgaurd to clear the overhanging fretboard. It’s really easy and not really noticeable

Attached Files:

11. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

I just got done doing this on one of my builds. I've come to disdain 22 fret guitars for the exact reason you mentioned. Putting the pickguard back on is a hassle. Sure you can trim up the pickguard, but I prefer the look of 21 fret guitars.

This neck started out as a 22 fret because at the time I made it I was still struggling to find a good way to cut a nut slot. Stewmac sells fretboards with nut slots cut, but they're 24 fret. Lmii sells anything you want, but they won't cut the nut slot for some reason. So for this one I went with stewmac. The other day I got frustrated and took it to the bandsaw and cut it off. Pulled the fret off, cut the overhang and cleaned it up on the router. Someday I'll refinish it and fill in the empty fret slot somehow but for now I'm happy and unbothered by how it looks.

20200423_225253.jpg 20210627_125907.jpg 20210627_131413.jpg 20210627_211509.jpg 20210627_211515.jpg 20210627_211526.jpg

Skydog1010 and RomanS like this.
  12. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

My fingers are strong enough. But with an extra fret I can bend a semitone higher than you and play in a wider variety of keys. My first electric guitar in 1985 had 24 frets, and the style of music I learned in the 1980s had a lot of high fretboard notes in it. Like I said, different strokes for different folks. No need to get defensive and question/criticize my finger strength. It wasn't a putdown, just noticing differences between different generations of guitar players. I guess there are differences on how often people change pickups and pickguards too. I usually change pickups or pickguards once at most and often not at all. Not better or worse, just different. Peace.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  13. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Resized_20200423_214222 (1).jpeg 20200915_180650.jpg I guess it depends on if you look at it from the player's perspective or the builder's perspective. As a player I like having the extra fret. I'm not much of a builder, but I have changed out the pickguard on a couple of 22 fret Teles and Strats and it wasn't a hassle. Maybe changing the pickups is more of a pain. I'm probly a little out of place on a partscaster blog.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    telemnemonics and radiocaster like this.
  14. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

What am I missing here? I've never had a problem sliding the PG out from under the overhang on any of my Fenders with a 22 fret neck

radiocaster and Maguchi like this.
  15. ponycar

ponycar TDPRI Member

Ive done it with all my Warmoth and USACG conversion necks. Although with those necks there is ample room on both tele and strat heels. I too dislike an overhang. I do it in part for ease of pickguard removal and I prefer the aesthetics. In your case if you dont mind the appearance and just want to be able to swap, go for it.

16. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Tele-Meister

Depends what Pickguard you have. Some are thick, some are thin.

Anyways, trimming that 22nd fret off should be easy. Then mask off by staining the wood after bevel and sanding.

17. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Has anyone tried leaving the fret, but just hacking half of the overhang off? Or filing the underside to allow more room for the pickguard? Just curious.

Maguchi likes this.
  18. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Did you have a pickup (or two) attached to that pickguard? I've got something like 15 pickguards in different colors & configurations, trimming them all is out of the question.

This applies to Strats too...

19. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Can part of the overhang be trimmed while leaving the 22nd fret on, or the underside of the fretboard be sanded down?

Yes Strats and most Teles have the pickups attached when you put them on. The older Teles had the neck pickup attached to the wood and some of vintage reissues do too

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

You know you can also enlarge the neck pickup rout (toward the bridge, maybe 3/8") in order to lift the rear of the guard over the bridge plate, slide it back from under the board, and lift it out that way.
    Less work than cutting off a fret if you include trying to make the bodged up neck look OK by putting a funny bevel on it and sanding it down.
    Invisible too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.