22 fret neck on a 21 fret guitar?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by KelvinS1965, May 17, 2017.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Possibly a silly question, but is a 22 fret neck longer than a 21 fret neck, so would I have to modify the neck pocket to fit a 22 fret neck to an existing 21 fret guitar?

I've been (very) slowly modifying an old Affinity Telecaster I have. So far have turned it into an Esquire, with a single coil sized Seymour Duncan lil '59 humbucker. I would like to change the neck as the frets are worn and it is the narrow 40mm width and I prefer the wider neck of my 50s Classic Telecaster.

I just like the idea of having a Rosewood neck on this guitar to further differentiate it from the 50s Classic which is maple.

2. darkforce

darkforce Tele-Meister

On a fender style neck the 22 fret sits on the fretboard overhang, so the neck pocket should not be a problem, but the pickguard needs to fit the overhang.

Best regards
    Johannes

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Thanks for the quick feedback. It's easier to reshape the pickguard if necessary (single ply off white B stock I bought for the Esquire look), so that's not a show stopper.

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

5. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Modern Player neck won't work on your body, but other than that one exception any Fender spec Telecaster neck will work, be it 21 or 22 frets. There's no need to modify the pickguard.

David_Maas likes this.
  6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

On one of my guitars, the pickguard wouldn't fit under the fretboard overhang, so I filed away the underside of the overhang until it did.

7. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

The pickguard fits under the overhang on my Tele. No mods needed to anything and the neck goes into a standard pocket. It's just an overhang.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.