21 year old musician has encounter with mountain lion at Pyramid Lake

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
time to get a rolled up newspaper and keep it in your jacket, just in case.

edit Might work on bad dogs too, though i can't test it now since i don't have a dog.
edit 2 i got mixed up in my postings...

Last edited:

rand z

Friend of Leo's
The Mountain lion is an asset that we can not do with out, deer over population is rising, and they have no natural predictor with the exception of the mountain lion . I think that they the mountain lions are a beautiful creature and when and enlightened populous recognizes their inclinations a peaceful balance will be established.
I'm glad that you didn't eat the mountain lion, they really have a gone-sour-chicken taste even when marinaded over night. The Wiley mountain lion is making a come back in the Alameda/ Contra Contra hills. hurray! If you have a garden in the hills you know what the deer are capable of in your vegetable garden too many deer not enough food for our over populated friends , beside a quick tasty and free lunch is hard to forgo.

Never go hiking alone now, as you said never ever run, If I were to go into the hills I take along my 5'6" oak shepherds crook it's a great walking stick and carry one of those air horns that are really loud. mountain lions really take freight at loud noises.

A hungry bear will run down, kill, and eat a dear.

(Normally they eat grubs, berries, honey etc.)

The dear is much faster, but tires easily.

And a bear can run for a long time.

Bears hate loud, shrill noises... and, I've chased them off with a referees whistle.

BTW, never try to out-run a bear.

Last edited:

rghill

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
One creature I have never encountered out in the wild. Though I am sure they have encountered me.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Yeah, I faced down a 1,100 pound polar bear that way. Just roared at it and it got scared. :p
The little ones scare easily.
I didn't watch the whole video, but his first thought in a life or death situation was to have that phone out to film it?

Really?
While on the job in Churchill, a CBC personality asked me about being told not to run if a polar bear appears. He said “isn’t it a person’s first instinct to run?” I replied, “no, a person’s first instinct, in my experience, is to pull out a phone or camera and move towards the bear.” I was not joking.
A hungry bear will run down, kill, and eat a dear.

(Normally they eat grubs, berries, honey etc.)

The dear is much faster, but tires easily.

And a bear can run for a long time.

Bears hate loud, shrill noises... and, I've chased them off with a referees whistle.

BTW, never try to out-run a bear.
In the above conversation, I also pointed out to him that is was pointless for him to run, since his inseam was a good 4” shorter than mine, and I had better shoes.

DrBGood

Tele-Afflicted
A friend of my daughter’s ran one off by playing Metallica at it. That would work for me as well, so I understand that cat. (We have the world’s highest density cougar population here on Vancouver Island.)

Her video:

News coverage:

There's always a Celine Dion MP3 in my phone for that. Also good for scaring street gangs.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Mountain lions in the Americas might be the rangiest animal in the world. I'm happy to be corrected here. Its habitat is from Canada down through South America. They live in deserts, mountains, forests, urban areas, etc. They are remarkable.
If they can adapt to avoid highways, I am hoping they return to the NE slowly on their own. The Adirondacks tried re-introducing lynx decades ago, and all (83??) were dead within a year or so from car strikes. starvation, and predation. If this were tried again, the scientists would learn by their mistakes. But with decreasing winter precipitation up here, it probably wouldn't be a good idea. Canada lynx pretty-much target snowshoe hare, which are likely to do poorly with little snow cover.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
The Mountain lion is an asset that we can not do with out, deer over population is rising, and they have no natural predictor with the exception of the mountain lion . I think that they the mountain lions are a beautiful creature and when and enlightened populous recognizes their inclinations a peaceful balance will be established.
I'm glad that you didn't eat the mountain lion, they really have a gone-sour-chicken taste even when marinaded over night. The Wiley mountain lion is making a come back in the Alameda/ Contra Contra hills. hurray! If you have a garden in the hills you know what the deer are capable of in your vegetable garden too many deer not enough food for our over populated friends , beside a quick tasty and free lunch is hard to forgo.

Never go hiking alone now, as you said never ever run, If I were to go into the hills I take along my 5'6" oak shepherds crook it's a great walking stick and carry one of those air horns that are really loud. mountain lions really take freight at loud noises.

I agree that they're beautiful animals, and we need them out in the wild. Most areas where I do short hikes are on trails that are fairly well populated, and the big cats usually avoid those. We aren't really on their menu, and when one attacks a human being, it's usually because you're crouched down and you look like prey, or the cat is malnourished or sick. Or small children hiking with the group that stray away they can get a cat's attention. Over the years I've seen several others, usually when I was driving. I remember one that dropped down off the mountainside and ran across the road, as I was driving up to a ski resort.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
There's always a Celine Dion MP3 in my phone for that. Also good for scaring street gangs.
Someone needs to make an air horn that when you push the button it plays Yoko Ono "singing" at 120 decibels.

Actually I wonder if a t-shirt like this, with the face on the back, might be a good idea to wear when out hiking.

Attachments

• 20220114_073428.jpg
    20220114_073428.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 5