1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

20w enough??

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Riff Robin, Jan 15, 2021.

1. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Well, let me answer that with an anecdote. When I saw Brent Mason in October, he was using a black Tone Master Deluxe Reverb.

I use the black one 75% of the time. It has a Jensen speaker. The blonde one has a Celestion speaker

Riff Robin likes this.
  2. Stinger22

Stinger22 Tele-Meister

It's plenty enough for you then just mic it for the room.

3. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

My main amp is a Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 25th Anniversary with 20 Watt.
    I played it with various drummers and it was always efficient in small clubs. Of course I place it on an amp-stand or lately on my second amp (I've changed my setup towards a wet/dry system shortly before our first gig for months was canceled due to the second lockdown over here) to have it closer to the ears - mine as well as the audience.
    For bigger events I mike it, because the tone of a single 12" speaker somehow gets....lost in a large place.
    I'm happy with my setup and can't imagine myself going back to higher power amps or large cabinets.

black_doug likes this.
  4. Riff Robin

Riff Robin TDPRI Member

ok...i finally got to GC today and played them both. I would think the deluxe is loud enough for most gigs. I also played the Twin and noted that when you drop the wattage it DOES stay clean. It does not darken up or fuzz out up to about 6ish on the knob...even down to 5w!!! So, at 5w at about 5 or 6, its a nice living room volume and has all the tone of a twin reverb. And of course can cut any live gig situation. If i can get a blond one with jensens...ill get one...not sure which though..lol. Thanks all!!!!

northernguitar and black_doug like this.
  5. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I have a 22 watt DRRI. I use it for cleans and reverb. It can stay clean in my band situation. The secret is the Alnico Blue speaker. It has about a 102 dB sensitivity so the amp can put out more clean power. The other reason is, of course,we do not play at blistering volumes.

My 1966 Deluxe Reverb could not play clean.

PhredE likes this.
  6. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

Interesting mod! I’ve heard of the ss rectifier and 6l6 mod, but have never seen it running 2x10.

7. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Imperial is loud for sure, but it's not magic. It is 20 watts, so it's more about headroom than volume. I have a Palmer DI, subs for a mic, but more importantly, lets you use a powered speaker of any size/power as an extension cab, solving any possible volume issues if you are not in the PA and makes it easier if you are going to the PA. If you can swing both, the Imperial and Palmer + speaker will take care of any situation (especially MKII with the attenuator) but its nice to have the TM twin to be loud enough no matter what and for outside or other situations where you don't want to use the more expensive Imperial or want very simple grab and go/light. They are coming up used now and you can get a great deal on lightly used one, especially if you can get it local CL with no tax or shipping. The imperial is incredible so i would grab that and then if you ever find a situation where you need the TM, they are much more readily available. Let us know!

Cali Dude likes this.
  8. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Well, I had the two 10" JBLs, and figured this would be a good sounding place for them. Boy, was I right! The two 10s move more air than a single 12, the bottom end is more focused, and that JBL punch makes the sound jump out. The JBLs are alnico, so the highs, while crispy, are very smooth to my ears. Overall, I love the sound of this amp!

PhredE, black_doug and notroHnhoJ like this.
  9. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Spoken like a lead guitarist (says the crusty, old bass player). :p

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks......(says the Music Director concerned with the overall sound. ;););) )

11. donnyrocker

donnyrocker TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Noon? Locally, venues got upset with 9:00 on my Z-28!!

black_doug and Ignatius like this.
  12. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

I'm in the 'usually but lots of variables' crowd.

20 watts into a good, multi speaker cab is pretty loud.

Playing most venues you are mic'd, you only need to be loud enough to hear yourself if you don't use in-ears.

Playing dirty makes it easier, most amps don't have the clean headroom at 20 watts that people expect.

13. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

A big chunk of what I read round here is:"My big amp is too loud ...how can I get it to give me creamy distortion at a lower volume? HELP!", or "My little amp breaks up at "5" on the volume knob, will a different speaker or tube change get me more headroom or more volume?"

These people should trade amps, problems solved.

14. Blues Twanger

Stage tech: how big is your amp?
    Me, holding up pedalboard only: the whole house.

15. strat a various

The whole channel "7" of the PA. Can I have a separate monitor mix please? Nah, we're not set up for that. By the way, the chick singer doesn't want to hear you in her monitor.
    Enter Rod Serling ...

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  16. Blues Twanger

One of my bands kept our own portable PA system on hand, and we aren't talking one of those mini passport kinda systems either.

We could've played practice amps and been loud enough...

17. strat a various

We carried around an audience, y'know, just in case the place had a bad night. Always be prepared.

Blues Twanger likes this.
  18. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Nobody that's ever actually put a healthy Deluxe Reverb next to a healthy Twin Reverb believes this often repeated on the internet load of crap.
    When I had my little "volume war" the DR actually had the edge in speaker sensitivity. At some point the only indication the DR was even still turned, was the glowing pilot light.
    Not saying a Deluxe Reverb amp isn't loud! It's just never going to keep up with a Twin Reverb.
    Think about, if they were even close, why did Leo bother with amps that used a quad of 6L6s in the first place?
    Not picking on anyone here. It's just something I see repeated all the time, that just doesn't hold water, if you actually try it.
    If you do, hearing protection wouldn't be a bad idea. ;)

Fluddman likes this.
  19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Speaker efficiency counts. Get close to 100+dB for loud at low watts.

I gigged with my Mesa running in 15w mode with a loud drummer but the cab had EVMs in. I need 40w not 20w watt mode on my marshall with its celestion. 20w mode just runs out of headroom forcing micing.

20. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Tele-Meister

I've experienced both sides of this fence.
    Professional drummers who care about dynamic, and are skilled and communicative enough to play with nuance - on any kit.

- and pretend professional drummers, who try to cover all of their considerable inadequacies with as much blistering subterfuge as possible, and then argue that your gear isn't up to the job . . usually while playing an absurd, OTT, heavy-metal kit that used to belong to some famous dead guy.

schmee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.