2063 Years Ago...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cc50fralin, Mar 15, 2019.

1. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

This has to be the smartest guitar forum ever.

P Thought likes this.
  2. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

That might mean something if this was drum forum :)

JuneauMike likes this.
  3. JuneauMike

For centuries the one common ruling principle of mankind was the "Conquest Doctrine." That means if I kill you, I keep your stuff and I write your history. If you are strong, I generally leave you alone, and vice versa. Pretty much all civilizations operated within the guidelines of this. We got smarter and more sophisticated about our friendships, alliances, mutual opportunities, etc. But at the end of the day, he who has the strongest army ruled the most land.

You can't judge history or historical figures through our modern cultural mores. Its really a non sequitur. His life seems to have been a great achievement. So was his death.

jackinjax likes this.
  4. JuneauMike

This is a telecaster forum discussing the historical relevance of the Ides of March.

Come on, give props where they are due.

darkwaters, DADGAD and Piggy Stu like this.
  5. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

But only ONE Julius Caesar......

uriah1 likes this.
  6. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

And only 1 lived to retire.

P Thought, JuneauMike and uriah1 like this.
  7. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

yes, we celebrate Genghis Khan, and Vlad the Impaler too. I agree that we should not expect historical figures to be lovely and sweet viewed through our modern glasses. But if we don't recognize them for what they actually did, we are not studying history; we are repeating earlier tales of glorification.

Those guys - including Julius - were blood-thirsty bastards. They did as much to demean humanity as they ever did to progress it. They did it for personal glory; along the line some of them found it advantageous to implement some measures that actually improved the lives of their subjects. But that is really a side-effect. The story of the Romans is a story of personal power and the struggle - between men - to achieve and wield more of that power. More often this was to the detriment of subjected and enslaved peoples. But hey - they don't get to write the stories, do they?

And anyway - we don't discuss politics here!

The Ides of March is past, with all the tales it holds. We are now looking forward to St Patrick's day! Sure and there's a tale or two to be told there as well!

8. JuneauMike

Well this isn't politics, its culture. And that most certainly changes over time. But it changes out of necessity and convenience. I think by any measure the Roman Empire was a great civilization (Don't make me quote Monty Python here, lol).

I'm not going to excise the great historical figures from history or minimize and otherwise redefine their accomplishments because their cultural norms seemed kinda not nice in contrast to our gentile existence. But I see what you are getting at.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    jhundt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.