Friend of Leo's
We have a date: Sunday 11th September, 1pm - 6pm

Mill Hill Music Complex., Bunns Lane, London NW7 2AJ

Studio 6

Howard Tibble to thump tubs

I'll be bumping this thread, in the hope we get a few more pickers

knavel

Tele-Holic
Oh, WOOD Green! That I know! Although I didn’t know of a studio there.
My wife has an artist studio there and they had to do open night once a year because of a Council requirement. I remember going through a couple of studios at that time. Also some guy looking at an old Gretsch I was selling said that somewhere around my wife's studio is where the music or some sonic aspect of the programme Better Call Saul was recorded.

Tony474

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
What’s the position with amps at Mill Hill?
It seems that in Studio 6 there’s a Laney LV300 with a 4x12 cabinet, a Peavey T450 bass amp with 1x15 and 4x10 cabs and that’s about it. I’ll be bringing my own amp, pedalboard and mic anyway, as I suspect will others. However, it may be that the studio people will have additional amps available, but I wouldn’t rely on that.

AngelStrummer

Friend of Leo's
It seems that in Studio 6 there’s a Laney LV300 with a 4x12 cabinet, a Peavey T450 bass amp with 1x15 and 4x10 cabs and that’s about it. I’ll be bringing my own amp, pedalboard and mic anyway, as I suspect will others. However, it may be that the studio people will have additional amps available, but I wouldn’t rely on that.
I'll also be bringing my own rig.

Tony474

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Just an idea, but as in previous years, any suggestions for material to jam on?

It would be fair to say that as a Country aficionado (for my sins) I don't like or even know much Rock (without Roll), but in addition to the usual 12-bar suspects, perhaps these two would be worth a try:

"Ramblin' Man" (Key G), The Allman Brothers;
"Why, Why Me?" (Key A), Delbert McClinton.

Both have fairly simple chord structures and seem pretty jammable-on for as long as it takes for everyone to get a solo or two.

There must be loads of others. Wodja got?

AngelStrummer

Friend of Leo's
Just an idea, but as in previous years, any suggestions for material to jam on?

It would be fair to say that as a Country aficionado (for my sins) I don't like or even know much Rock (without Roll), but in addition to the usual 12-bar suspects, perhaps these two would be worth a try:

"Ramblin' Man" (Key G), The Allman Brothers;
"Why, Why Me?" (Key A), Delbert McClinton.

Both have fairly simple chord structures and seem pretty jammable-on for as long as it takes for everyone to get a solo or two.

There must be loads of others. Wodja got?
- Workin' man blues (A)
- Can't judge a book... (E)
- Too hard to handle (A)
- La Grange (A)
- Dead flowers (D)
- Oreo cookie blues (E)
- Key to the highway (A)
- Route 66 (A)
- Pride & joy (E)
- Crossroads (A)

Tony474

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
- Workin' man blues (A)
- Can't judge a book... (E)
- Too hard to handle (A)
- La Grange (A)
- Dead flowers (D)
- Oreo cookie blues (E)
- Key to the highway (A)
- Route 66 (A)
- Pride & joy (E)
- Crossroads (A)
Yes indeed, I know most of those, some of them intimately (so to speak), but many were what I referred to as the “usual suspects”. Hell, let’s ’ave a go! 😀

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
I am so envious of ya'll! Sure wish I could be there. Can't wait to see some pics and hopefully some videos of this jam! Giving your thread a bump ;)

knavel

Tele-Holic
Great - with a bit of luck all will be well. 🤞

Rick? Richard? Knavel? Others? Please tell me all will be well with you too. As much as I do enjoy playing with Tony, the more the merrier!
My bad, I booked a last minute trip and lost momentum on things including this.

Drum set? Drummer?
Bass?
I'll do any of the foregoing suckily, although a quality bass amp is the only thing I didn't get all the way here with from America as my B-15 would need to ship in three parts because of its weight so I left it on the Continent.

Is there a car park? It looks far enough out that parking shouldn't be an issue.

Tony474

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
My bad, I booked a last minute trip and lost momentum on things including this.

Drum set? Drummer?
Bass?
I'll do any of the foregoing suckily, although a quality bass amp is the only thing I didn't get all the way here with from America as my B-15 would need to ship in three parts because of its weight so I left it on the Continent.

Is there a car park? It looks far enough out that parking shouldn't be an issue.
There is a moderately respectable car park at Mill Hill, though how heavily occupied it will be is anybody’s guess.

I think Angelo’s organised the redoubtable Howard Tibble to thump the tubs, and if I’m not mistaken a bass player too. There’s a big bass rig in the studio, so no problems in that regard.

AngelStrummer

Friend of Leo's
There is a moderately respectable car park at Mill Hill, though how heavily occupied it will be is anybody’s guess.

I think Angelo’s organised the redoubtable Howard Tibble to thump the tubs, and if I’m not mistaken a bass player too. There’s a big bass rig in the studio, so no problems in that regard.
Confirmed regarding the redoubtable Mr Tibble.

Not so much on the bass player... Tony, didn't you say you have a low-end hombre who could cover?

Tony474

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Confirmed regarding the redoubtable Mr Tibble.

Not so much on the bass player... Tony, didn't you say you have a low-end hombre who could cover?
Ah, perhaps I misunderstood. I did have someone in mind, but he lives in Bracknell, which is quite a way to come, therefore I suspect some remuneration might be expected. Alternatively there’s my regular partner Jim, but that may or may not be a possibility.

Anyone else have any idea? Rick, you’ve been playing bass lately – would you like to provide the low end, or at least share the duties with others including me if necessary?

I’ll await comment before contacting Peter Rudd, the bloke I was thinking of.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Man, I'm envious following this thread. I hope somebody takes some pics and or videos and posts them here. Maybe Id'ng the various players. It'd be cool to be able to put names with faces.