2022 Guess What This Tool Does Thread

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Bottom bracket adjustment, spoke wrench and bottle opener?
spoke wrench and bottle opener are correct. Not a BB tool.

Answer: It's a Maillard wrench used specifically for the Helicomatic freewheel.

Last edited:

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
One of those came with my Ibanez ST-50 in 1982. I still have it & to this day I don't have a clue what it's for.
I assumed it was for locking tuners which the ST-50 doesn't have!!!
I never tried 'Wilization' though.
Mine came with my MIJ knock-off P-Bass from the Mid 80's.
It was made in the Fuji Factory.
Nice Bass, weird Tool.

Stanford Guitar

Friend of Leo's
D70CC90B-AC4B-4EA5-AC8A-25D06FAC0FB0_1_105_c.jpeg

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
First "blocks" are specialized and unfamiliar to me.
I could guess. Less than 50/50 chance...

But the second image is something very familiar to where my career and hobbies started...

I was hoping someone would pitch in on the second image.

The blocks are most definitely not an "off the shelf" tool - machine shop practice! They just kinda look cool.

I found the second one in a local recycle facility. Someone threw it away. Maybe the family of a mechanic-oriented person who had passed.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
I did an image search and I learned something today.
They are a specialized type of a tool known as a Float. Apparently I have some old floats that I was calling rasps. Mine are just flat, probably for joinery. They are said to provide a fine surface similar or better than scrapers.
The ones from your picture have offset handles, cut on the push and have concave cutting surfaces.
This link https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/unusual-mathieson-tool.57648/ suggests they may be for making gunstocks or something similar. I didn't see any firm conclusions but it seems plausible for either that or maybe the big one was for banisters or something.
View attachment 984686
View attachment 984687

Lie-Nielsen has a number of floats for plane making and joinery. https://www.lie-nielsen.com/nodes/4081/floats
This is a pull-cut face float.

View attachment 984688

EDIT: Ok, just found this: Much more info - cabinetmaker's floats. https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/blog/587/
A gunmaker I once knew had a whole mess of floats, just like these. He roughed out a gunstock and then used the floats for final bedding. Using lamp-black he would use the floats to knock those spots down. Round ones were for the barrel and action surfaces which were round. Flat ones for the flat surfaces, etc.

There's a Greek guy on youtube who makes his own wood planes...uses floats like a pro. Just a specialized file.

Eddiebaby1

Tele-Meister
"Mortise machine drill/cutters. I want one. Chopping mortises by hand is fun for the first dozen..."

Correct. A way to drill square holes. Brilliant. A friend worked at a local council rubbish tip and one guy came in dumping a whole bunch of tools...