2022 Guess What This Tool Does Thread

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Post your strange tools here!

Be sure to reply to the original post so everyone knows which tool you are referencing.

View attachment 984413
Guilty of not reading all the posts, but I made one of these to spread the rear frame rails on my Schwinn Crosscut frame when I switched to a little bit fancier wheelset.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Maybe, I don't know what they are.
I did an image search and I learned something today.
They are a specialized type of a tool known as a Float. Apparently I have some old floats that I was calling rasps. Mine are just flat, probably for joinery. They are said to provide a fine surface similar or better than scrapers.
The ones from your picture have offset handles, cut on the push and have concave cutting surfaces.
This link https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/unusual-mathieson-tool.57648/ suggests they may be for making gunstocks or something similar. I didn't see any firm conclusions but it seems plausible for either that or maybe the big one was for banisters or something.
1652901572881.png

1652901596546.png

Lie-Nielsen has a number of floats for plane making and joinery. https://www.lie-nielsen.com/nodes/4081/floats
This is a pull-cut face float.

1652901631113.png

EDIT: Ok, just found this: Much more info - cabinetmaker's floats. https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/blog/587/

Last edited:

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I posted the picture but I don't know what they are, was hoping to find out.

It looks to me like each tine is a little chisel, concaved at the ends, gaped on the top to let the shavings go free without clogging. Only thing I can think of is that they were used to "round" something off... corners, etc. or perhaps to make a dowel rod from scratch? Dunno. Ever tried to use one to see what it would do?

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
It’s a device called a shovel calibrator.
It is employed to ensure that your shovel will function correctly in relation to the hemisphere in which it is being used.
Very rare.
Most folks have never even heard of one, much less have access, and are just going around using non-calibrated shovels.
Kind of makes you sad when you think about it.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
It’s a device called a shovel calibrator.
It is employed to ensure that your shovel will function correctly in relation to the hemisphere in which it is being used.
Very rare.
Most folks have never even heard of one, much less have access, and are just going around using non-calibrated shovels.
Kind of makes you sad when you think about it.
The Pyramids could have been built in a Fraction of the Time had they taken the time to use one.
Same goes for the Space Shuttle!