2022 F1 Season

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The porpoising this season has been hard to watch - but it has been a good season so far. It will be interesting to see if Mercedes can pull forward to win races or be in contention. Haas has been fun to watch this year. Lots of settling issues across the grid.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
The porpoising this season has been hard to watch - but it has been a good season so far. It will be interesting to see if Mercedes can pull forward to win races or be in contention. Haas has been fun to watch this year. Lots of settling issues across the grid.
I think if Mags doesn’t turn in on Hamilton early at Spain, he finishes maybe 2nd in that race. They solved the porpoising and were very fast.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I forgot to mention - it has been interesting who is getting the most out of the new car, and who isn't. Checko seems to like it. Sainz was an underrated driver, but he is having trouble coming to grips with the car. Lewis is struggling, while George is flourishing. (Of course, George is used to driving a crap wagon, so...). Magnussen is all smiles, and seems at home in the car. Albon is driving well, while Latifi seems to be trying too hard to prove himself. The Aston Martin needs some tweaks, but Vettel is doing OK. Bottas has been a surprise this year. Alpha Tauri seems lost, as does Alpine. And Chuckles needs to calm himself and quit making mistakes if he wants a chance to win the championship, because Max just does not make very many mistakes.

Intubator

Tele-Afflicted
Bawlmer, Merlin- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
Some thoughts on the Spanish GP..
Perez is not only an elite competitor but a true team mate and a class act to give Verstappen the lead the way he did.
Hamilton's driving was impressive as usual especially going from 19th to 5th after the race incident with Mag. Time wise he was over a minute behind Russell and got within around 10 seconds...
Too bad for LeClerc, DNF due to power failure... Is there an issue with the reliability of the Ferrari engines?.. There have been a couple of failures this season.
Other entertaining moments: Verstappen's irratic DRS failures while chasing Russell.... "Will it work? Nope. Maybe on the next straight"...

Intubator

Tele-Afflicted
I watched the Monaco practices yesterday. The changes in the cars this year are on display with this course. The 18" wheels and the lower profile tires are less forgiving on imperfect surfaces and cause an oversteering effect on turns. This could be a real problem at race speed with the surface imperfections, mostly no runoff areas to speak of and a generally narrower roadway. Also, the cars are slightly longer with a larger turn radius adding to the challenges. It'll be interesting when two are going around the hairpin together, if it happens... A couple of drivers were reporting porpoising but it seems it was likely the surface variations causing the motions. 2.07 miles of mostly turns and elevation changes, should be a fun watch! Looking forward to qualifying.

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
Big F1 fan since the 1980s here (turbo era, Mansell, Prost, Senna, etc.). Just found this thread. I told my son there is this sort of silent club of U.S. fans that used to get up early on Sunday mornings to watch the races.

I've been trying to find the races on TV, who's carrying F1 here in the states?
If you can swing it, it's about $10/mo for F1 TV Pro (f1tv.com). It's really good. Finally we get to see everything, like they always have in European TV. You need decent internet service, and either a decent computer or streaming device like Roku to watch. But you can set up multiple devices to watch different feeds (main US or international coverage, timing data, driver cams). Plus it's on demand - we watch later in the day. (We ditched cable long ago and only have a Roku, an F1 and a couple other subscriptions that rotate. Not much TV watching here, more time for guitar playing!)

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
The new helmet cams are the best! Captures the violence of an F1 cockpit. How they do it I don’t know - millimeters from the barriers at the limit while being shaken to death. Skill level unbelievable.

Intubator

Tele-Afflicted
Big F1 fan since the 1980s here (turbo era, Mansell, Prost, Senna, etc.). Just found this thread. I told my son there is this sort of silent club of U.S. fans that used to get up early on Sunday mornings to watch the races.

If you can swing it, it's about $10/mo for F1 TV Pro (f1tv.com). It's really good. Finally we get to see everything, like they always have in European TV. You need decent internet service, and either a decent computer or streaming device like Roku to watch. But you can set up multiple devices to watch different feeds (main US or international coverage, timing data, driver cams). Plus it's on demand - we watch later in the day. (We ditched cable long ago and only have a Roku, an F1 and a couple other subscriptions that rotate. Not much TV watching here, more time for guitar playing!)
I watch on youtubetv. But this is good to know. Thanks for the heads up on that!

Intubator

Tele-Afflicted
The new helmet cams are the best! Captures the violence of an F1 cockpit. How they do it I don’t know - millimeters from the barriers at the limit while being shaken to death. Skill level unbelievable.
Hey DKMW, yeah I caught a few of those shots today during qualifying, first time I think I've seen it. It does give a better drivers prospective than the typical in car cam. On this track in particular you can almost feel the bumps and road vibrations right through the TV... One of the drivers was requesting arm pads during qualifying on radio apparently due to the severity..

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
How close?

1CF51AA3-474F-459B-A9F5-E5032FA049F5.jpeg

And here’s helmet cam of a complete lap:

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
While functionally laying down and often holding their breath to avoid have their lungs collapse under cornering Gs. Just amazing