2022 F1 Season

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
I've enjoyed the racing this year so far but as a McLaren fan, it's been very disappointing........ again. :(
Try being a Tyrrell fan! ;)
You were in NASCAR country. It’s about as bad for Sebring. Speedway is king down there, no accounting for taste I guess. ;)

A friend wants to do the Vegas race next year. I dunno. Street races are fun to watch on TV, not much fun to spectate.
All the stands will have Jumbotron right across from them- even general admission areas have screens in some places!

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire

All the stands will have Jumbotron right across from them- even general admission areas have screens in some places!
I'm not sure if this is an argument for or against going; like I said, street races great to watch on TV, even if you're there. We did the Baltimore GP (ALMS/Indy) a couple years and it was fun but the same thing (impossible to keep up without watching TV, pray something interesting happens at the corner where your bleachers are). It also wasn't as packed as this is gonna be.

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Yeah, it's a bummer. One of the good guys in the sport, great ambassador. He might consider taking a page out of his countryman Webber's book (among many, many others) and go do sports cars for a while. Factory programs are heating up again in the top class, no shame in winning Le Mans for Porsche.
I think that's a good idea - many drivers have done well after switching from F1 to another branch of motorsport...
but there are no guarantees that you can get back into F1 and make a success out of it a second time round. These drivers believe F1 is the pinnacle of motor sport and want to win F1 races - I guess that's why you get former world champions like Vettel and Alonso still battling it out in the lower order teams rather than leave the formula

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I think that's a good idea - many drivers have done well after switching from F1 to another branch of motorsport...
but there are no guarantees that you can get back into F1 and make a success out of it a second time round. These drivers believe F1 is the pinnacle of motor sport and want to win F1 races - I guess that's why you get former world champions like Vettel and Alonso still battling it out in the lower order teams rather than leave the formula
There's no doubt it's the tops as a driver; sports cars are a step down (which is why often subpar F1 drivers do exceptionally well in them). I just feel like he's not doing his reputation any good staying on whether it's the driver or the car's fault.

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
There's no doubt it's the tops as a driver; sports cars are a step down (which is why often subpar F1 drivers do exceptionally well in them). I just feel like he's not doing his reputation any good staying on whether it's the driver or the car's fault.
Yes, it's painful to see - Riccardo was well known as having the biggest smile in F1 (not that you can see that with a mask on...)
However, there is hope - this year's cars are new to everybody, and all the drivers are having to adapt - maybe Daniel can too

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
I'm not sure if this is an argument for or against going; like I said, street races great to watch on TV, even if you're there. We did the Baltimore GP (ALMS/Indy) a couple years and it was fun but the same thing (impossible to keep up without watching TV, pray something interesting happens at the corner where your bleacher are). It also wasn't as packed as this is gonna be.
Yeah- Like American Football, it’s honestly better on TV. I agree with all of your valid points.

For our two sons, however, it will be special. Even if they don’t think so at that moment :lol:. November 2023 they will be 8 and 11.

We took them to Austin US GP general admission at the hairpin corner in 2017. They don’t really remember- we were in the process of fostering to adopt at that juncture, and they were 2 and 5!!!!

Here is my hardcore Alonso/Ferrari wife at Austin 2013. Note Tyrrell P34 shirt. :cool:
11F95BE4-F7D4-40C1-92FF-05082B63EE90.jpeg
CCDAA8E0-EE1B-4919-BD1F-87597EE86813.jpeg

20E10711-5A30-46F3-88B7-4F2A6472415E.jpeg

When we lived in Northern Vermont, Montreal was a two and a half hour drive! We would head up there, and stay at a place near the Metro..easy peasy!! Breakfast joint or Tim Horton’s on the way! Yum! Here’s press/pit walk day 2014.
1CA9B798-E5ED-479C-AEC4-50D37EC5A713.jpeg
814EFFF8-04A6-4D52-93A7-41EE54A1A432.jpeg
8D602330-35EC-4054-A32F-11C680F28AD7.jpeg

I hope Vega$ is as fun! Lol

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
So glad Seb's better and back. I know a lot of people dislike him (esp back at RB, 'multi 21' and all that), but he's still one of my faves. The terminally petulant/aloof thing with some drivers (and athletes broadly) is so unattractive. My man's out here putting out his own fire and rolling the car away. One of the good guys imo.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah- Like American Football, it’s honestly better on TV. I agree with all of your valid points.

For our two sons, however, it will be special. Even if they don’t think so at that moment :lol:. November 2023 they will be 8 and 11.

We took them to Austin US GP general admission at the hairpin corner in 2017. They don’t really remember- we were in the process of fostering to adopt at that juncture, and they were 2 and 5!!!!

Here is my hardcore Alonso/Ferrari wife at Austin 2013. Note Tyrrell P34 shirt. :cool:
View attachment 969725 View attachment 969723
View attachment 969722
When we lived in Northern Vermont, Montreal was a two and a half hour drive! We would head up there, and stay at a place near the Metro..easy peasy!! Breakfast joint or Tim Horton’s on the way! Yum! Here’s press/pit walk day 2014. View attachment 969726 View attachment 969727 View attachment 969728

I hope Vega$ is as fun! Lol
Awesome pics wow!

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
So glad Seb's better and back. I know a lot of people dislike him (esp back at RB, 'multi 21' and all that), but he's still one of my faves. The terminally petulant/aloof thing with some drivers (and athletes broadly) is so unattractive. My man's out here putting out his own fire and rolling the car away. One of the good guys imo.

I don't dislike Seb, I've always thought he was pretty funny and likable. It's a very strange environment in a lot of ways and the whole 'It's a team sport' but there's a driver's championship, is always the root of a lot of issues. I've always thought it would be better not to have the driver's championship, so team mates can actually work together.

Nico vs Lewis was crazy and Nico had to pull out all the stops to beat him that year, including doing things that put the team at a disadvantage over all.

We saw it with Alonso and Occon at the last race, they should have been towing each other around, swapping DRS to drag them both away from the others behind, not screwing each others laps.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't dislike Seb, I've always thought he was pretty funny and likable. It's a very strange environment in a lot of ways and the whole 'It's a team sport' but there's a driver's championship, is always the root of a lot of issues. I've always thought it would be better not to have the driver's championship, so team mates can actually work together.

Nico vs Lewis was crazy and Nico had to pull out all the stops to beat him that year, including doing things that put the team at a disadvantage over all.

We saw it with Alonso and Occon at the last race, they should have been towing each other around, swapping DRS to drag them both away from the others behind, not screwing each others laps.
Totally true, I think Seb just committed a sin in confirming that the main event, if not officially, is still the one in which every driver is for themselves. A lot of guys catch hell for that, Nico did for sure. Great year that one though, not gonna lie.

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
Cutthroat individuals expected to “best” their teammates every week.

Now ask them to “be a team player” and multi 21 to the finish.

Sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t…I can’t find fault in that- they are wired to win. I loved the whole Lotus “Pull the (flip) over, Kimi” a few seasons back. :D

We really got a show 2013 Austin at that hairpin when Seb won- he came to the hairpin on the cool down lap and pulled off a set of screaming doughnuts right in front of us! Great show-

Intubator

Tele-Afflicted
Bawlmer, Merlin- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
Great race yesterday, Verstappen and Red Bull placed top podium. Ferrari showed well also placing 2 and 3. Very technical course there in the inaugural GP of Miami. Looks like a fun race to attend, the gondola that runs along the straight looks to be a fun must do during the race... Going to try to go next year.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Third of the way through the campaign, the big show is this weekend.

Have to say this has been a tremendous season so far. Competitive parity is extraordinarily high relative to the last few years as evidenced by the standings.

Great race in Spain, Russell with an epic drive.

1653489306008.png

1653489241700.png

Gaz_

Tele-Holic
I'm going to let my geek out for a second. This always seems like a good place to do it...

Tyrell, were sold in 1997 to Craig Pollock and British American Tobacco, who raced as Tyrell for 1998, then became BAR in 1999. Then, around 2005, BAR, who were an "exclusive" customer of Honda at the time, sold the team and became "Honda" and began racing in 2006. By 2009, after the credit crunch, honda pulled out just before the season, leaving the technical director to buy the team, bolt a merc engine in the back and win the drivers and constructors titles. Which led Mercedes to buy the team outright. And they've won what, the 7 of the last 8?

It's not a bad time to be a Tyrell fan my friend!

This is from a Jordan fan... who's pedigree is much less impressive, Jordan>Midland>Spyker>Force India>Racing Point>Aston Martin. The years have been much tougher!

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I'm going to let my geek out for a second. This always seems like a good place to do it...

Tyrell, were sold in 1997 to Craig Pollock and British American Tobacco, who raced as Tyrell for 1998, then became BAR in 1999. Then, around 2005, BAR, who were an "exclusive" customer of Honda at the time, sold the team and became "Honda" and began racing in 2006. By 2009, after the credit crunch, honda pulled out just before the season, leaving the technical director to buy the team, bolt a merc engine in the back and win the drivers and constructors titles. Which led Mercedes to buy the team outright. And they've won what, the 7 of the last 8?

It's not a bad time to be a Tyrell fan my friend!

This is from a Jordan fan... who's pedigree is much less impressive, Jordan>Midland>Spyker>Force India>Racing Point>Aston Martin. The years have been much tougher!

Red Bull Racing are the team formerly known as Stewart Grand Prix, then Jaguar Racing. Then there's Minardi>Toro Rosso>Alpha Tauri. Alfa Romeo were Sauber (still are really), also known as BMW for a few years. Alpine were Renault, before that they were Benetton, and before that Toleman. Ayrton Senna began his F1 career in a Toleman.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire