1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2022 '52 Anniversary Reissue?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by blue17, Mar 2, 2021.

1. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

The 2020 70th anniversary Broadcaster got me thinking about whether Fender is going to be releasing more anniversary models to correspond with other famous models and years.

In early 2022, my dad will be turning 70, and I think a '52 anniversary model would be a great gift. Do we think they will do a '52 70th anniversary Tele RI?

I know the "Telecaster" name was officially adopted in late 1951, but there is no doubt that '52 was a significant year for the Tele, when it went into more mass production and seemed to hit its stride as a model. Also, Gibson is happy to do 60th anniversaries of seemingly every Les Paul model year, so it doesn't seem that crazy on the whole.

2. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

You know it's coming! And really, why wouldn't they? Retire the '52 reissue to create some scarcity and demand and POW! a commemorative edition with the fret markers in the right place, an embroidered case, some CS pickups, etc.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    blue17 and JamesAM like this.
  3. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

Basically what they did with the 70th anni Broadcaster anyway. They scrapped the '52 with the vintage spec, so they could release the AO without vintage spec, so they can sell the Broadcaster with vintage spec.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  4. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Yeah, I mean...I'm just some guy on the internet, I wasn't in the boardroom or whatever. But I would bet a pack of strings on it.

5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

IMO just buy him a 2022 '52 AVRI if they still make them. It's the year that counts, not a little foil wafer on the back of the headstock. He'll dig it. ;)

blue17 and Electric Warrior like this.
  6. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Wouldn't the 70th Broadcaster basically be the exact same guitar? Honestly how many times can you repackage the early 50s butterscotch Telecaster?

7. quackzilla

quackzilla TDPRI Member

It would be alright if they mix it up a little. Maybe a neck humbucker?

Electric Warrior likes this.
  8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

How many times can Jimmy Page repackage the same set of fifty year old Led Zep master tapes......:lol:.

Ed Driscoll and Electric Warrior like this.
  9. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

Gibson did a ‘58, a ‘59 and a ‘60 Les Paul in successive years, so apparently there is some market.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.