2021 Winter Build Off - Thunderbird 5

2groggy

Tele-Meister
Prepping materials for internal frame and bracing...
purfling pile2.jpg

2groggy

Tele-Meister
You counting pieces in this build? I'm pretty sure if you get to 555 it's an automatic win... :lol:
This gives me 3 choices:
  1. count the pieces and accept a 1 in 5 chance that the number is divisible by 5
  2. claim that I already counted the pieces and that they already are divisible by 5
  3. Let you use the pictures to count the pieces yourself :p

2groggy

Tele-Meister
I made some progress in the last couple of days

I decided to add internal longitudinal bracing between the neck block and tail block that didn't touch either front or back. I built it an an I-beam.
central I beam.jpg

I also built up the neck from the same reclaimed timber.
neck pieces rough.jpg

And doesn't it figure... I see a nail hole that I thought that I'd miss.
drat nail hole.jpg

plugged nail hole.jpg

2groggy

Tele-Meister
No particular reason, but I wonder which of you has the best meme for the totally hypothetical situation of gluing up and clamping the neck, and then returning to the workshop two hours later and seeing the truss rod sitting on the workbench. Purely a hypothetical situation of course:rolleyes:. Nope, no pictures of a glued up neck with an empty slot where the truss rod should be.... nope... no pictures... didn't happen...;)

Reedt2000

TDPRI Member
No particular reason, but I wonder which of you has the best meme for the totally hypothetical situation of gluing up and clamping the neck, and then returning to the workshop two hours later and seeing the truss rod sitting on the workbench. Purely a hypothetical situation of course:rolleyes:. Nope, no pictures of a glued up neck with an empty slot where the truss rod should be.... nope... no pictures... didn't happen...;)
How about this one:
homer-simpson-doh.jpg

ctmullins

Tele-Meister
Ad Free Member
Ha!

I once glued a fingerboard to a neck with the fret slots facing down. Fortunately I immediately realized my mistake and pulled them apart. Had to do a lot of unnecessary cleanup!

@Delinquent ’s idea is a good one - can you slide the rod in, maybe with some judicious tapping with a hammer?

2groggy

Tele-Meister
First off, here's the picture of the walnut headstock. It will have 3+2 tuners. I still need to shape the back.
walnut FB and headstock.jpg

I took most of the day testing pre-bending of wood binding. I based my tests on this.

My pieces had more spring-back than the author's, so I'll give it another watch and see what corners I might be cutting.

pre bending wood binding.jpg