2021 Winter Build Off - Thunderbird 5

2groggy

Tele-Meister
2groggy 2021 wood pile.jpg

At first glance, the uninitiated might guess that 2groggy is building a bass guitar from a reclaimed door jamb (poplar), reclaimed cedar from an old playscape and a variety of other offcuts. Those that know him have no doubt, and probably predicted this.

The 2 real questions are "What is he going to build?" and "Why?". Those that know him, know better than to ask why - they want to know how, because he tends to make things up as he goes along.
They even tolerate him referring to himself in the third person.

The "what" is a five string acoustic with the general outline of a Gibson Thunderbird.

Now the "why"... Quite frankly, due to his routine negligence in following the forum threads under his nose, he didn't know about the "5" theme until relatively late in the game. Thunderbird 5 popped into his head and stuck.

For those too young to remember, this is Thunderbird 5, from the TV series Thunderbirds are Go.
Thunderbird 5 image.jpg

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
Yes- the Thunderbirds are GO!!! I recall this as well!!! Puppets cheaper than actors...and whenever the “girl” wrote a letter, a human “hand model” would hold the letter...Lady Penelope...

Reedt2000

TDPRI Member
View attachment 799665

At first glance, the uninitiated might guess that 2groggy is building a bass guitar from a reclaimed door jamb (poplar), reclaimed cedar from an old playscape and a variety of other offcuts. Those that know him have no doubt, and probably predicted this.

The 2 real questions are "What is he going to build?" and "Why?". Those that know him, know better than to ask why - they want to know how, because he tends to make things up as he goes along.
They even tolerate him referring to himself in the third person.

The "what" is a five string acoustic with the general outline of a Gibson Thunderbird.

Now the "why"... Quite frankly, due to his routine negligence in following the forum threads under his nose, he didn't know about the "5" theme until relatively late in the game. Thunderbird 5 popped into his head and stuck.

For those too young to remember, this is Thunderbird 5, from the TV series Thunderbirds are Go.
View attachment 799674
Just noticed the pentatonic scale on the wood pile... awesome :lol:

2groggy

Tele-Meister
The problem with reclaimed lumber...

Nails

when whoever it was removed those door jambs many years ago (me), the twit made sure to hammer any finishing nails flush to make sure that nobody ever got a booboo from them. I literally had to cut them out before planing and ripping.

nails!.jpg

Also, I just found out that Sharpie ink bleeds through 68 year old paint,

Sharpie nails.jpg

However, I have made myself enough quartersawn pieces to laminate a neck. I'll glue that up over the weekend.

Happy Holidays to all.

Delinquent

Tele-Meister
I used to do industrial carpentry many moons ago, and I had a big nail catch my forearm when I was pitching a board out an opening into a dumpster 25 feet below. That nail caught the sleeve of my thick fire retardant coveralls (I don't miss those) and nearly pulled me out the opening with the board. My pulling it back hard to save myself caused it to dig in and give me a little scar. Even though I'd curse myself for hammering them in flush too, short of pulling each one out, it was the right thing to do. :D

2groggy

Tele-Meister
I don't have any decent way to resaw panels for the top and bottom, and I don't have suitable wood for that anyway. So I am glue up panels from thin pieces. I've done this in the past for hollow wood surfboards. If that construction style can endure my weight, then there should be no problem making a guitar body.

The panels will be flat. I made a couple of test panels a few days ago but found them boring. So I decided to go for a driftwood look.

I made a steam chamber to see if that helps with the bending.
Steam chamber.jpg

And started to build a panel face down,
Steam chamber.jpg
panel start.jpg

I can only glue up a few strips at a time, so this stage might take a while.
panel start.jpg

Edit - apologies for the duplicate pictures

Last edited:

Reedt2000

TDPRI Member
I don't have any decent way to resaw panels for the top and bottom, and I don't have suitable wood for that anyway. So I am glue up panels from thin pieces. I've done this in the past for hollow wood surfboards. If that construction style can endure my weight, then there should be no problem making a guitar body.

The panels will be flat. I made a couple of test panels a few days ago but found them boring. So I decided to go for a driftwood look.

I made a steam chamber to see if that helps with the bending. View attachment 801836

And started to build a panel face down,
View attachment 801836 View attachment 801837

I can only glue up a few strips at a time, so this stage might take a while. View attachment 801837

Edit - apologies for the duplicate pictures
Wait, what am I looking at here? Is that gonna be the top and back?