1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2021 weigh-in thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jupiter, Jan 8, 2021.

1. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

In May of 2020 I was pretty miserable with how I looked. I started intermittent fasting and walking/jogging. I haven’t slipped up not once on my fasting, I’m very strict. The walking on the other hand was put on pause during the summer when I bought a house and fixed it up, and also when the cold weather hit in the winter. I’m down 70 pounds, and I’d like to lose another 30!

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Hmm, who vacuums the house?

3. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

She does. She's constantly moving.

4. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I'm with you on the fitness stuff! I am currently at my goal weight. It's just softer and squishier than I intended when I set the goal 10 years ago. lol I could lose a couple inches and build some more strength.

5. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I decided to start getting active last month and cut out a lot of things and am doing the high protein route

I’ve only lost 10 pounds in a month....but... that is okay

If you lose A LOT quickly there’s a good chance that some of it is muscle

6. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I jog carrying two guitar cases.

Actually, that's just me running down the alley in the bad part of town after the gig.

But it is exercise.

5'10/ 150

Fretting out likes this.
  7. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

I was a wrestler for a long period in my life, I learned very quickly that gym strength and mat strength are two very different things. Some exercises I think are essential for foundational functional strength: burpees, pull ups, squats, and dead lifts.

8. Jupiter

Heck man, ten pounds in a month is excellent! That is about an ideal pace I think. About a kilo a week... Even a bit slower than that would be totally acceptable to me.

I wouldn’t put burpees in the same category as the other three, though I’m not against em! But yeah, I’m a BIG fan of squats and deadlift: in my book, if you aren’t doing those, you aren’t lifting. I couldn’t do pull-ups for over a year because my elbows didn’t like em (I did chin-ups instead), but I’m phasing pull-ups back in gradually with assistance bands. I wanna get back to where I can do a clean set of ten; losing some weight is a big part of the program for that!

Stanford Guitar and Fretting out like this.
  9. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve gotten really interested in bodybuilding,I'm trying to see what my natural peak is

So I pretty much just cut out all the crap I eat so now it’s all veggies, meats and good carbs, and just as important I cut out all the super sugary drinks and soda

I’m not as concerned with the amount of weight I lose/gain as long as I’m gaining muscle and losing fat, all at a practical pace

Sometimes it’s good for a Change and I have nothing else going on at this time

10. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Afflicted

My journey to better health started about 4 years ago, 5'6 240lbs, high BP, high A1c. I was down about 30lbs in a year, BP normal & A1c in check. Kept working on losing more weight with my goal being 180lbs. Enter 2020 at @ 200lbs, ate too much & drank too much but still maintained, definitely not doing what I should. My wife & I had our annual checkup, most of my numbers were good but started to see some increases that got my attention & also for my wife. We got back on low carb in Sept. with not the results we were looking for so in Oct. we got serious with keto & fasting 18 hours per day. As of yesterday, wife was down 20lbs & I was 168lbs yesterday. The fasting has been big for us. We'll continue as my goals have changed, now shooting for 160lbs. For the first time in my life, I'm losing not just weight but fat. Very happy with our progress & enjoying our lifestyle change.

smoothrecluse and Jupiter like this.
  11. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

216.4lbs this AM...-4.4lbs since 2 Jan. Target 199, then reassess.

Jupiter likes this.
  12. Jupiter

1lb/wk is very reasonable I think.

13. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

1lb a week is usually the best I can do.

Mrs just burst my bubble...announcing her cross check of our two scales this AM shows a 4lb delta (mine yesterday was less than a 1lb). SO, we'll see how I do in a couple of weeks ;).

Engine Swap and Jupiter like this.
  14. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I saw this thread pop up again in passing but I was on my way to do some stuff.

I weighed myself last night: 200lbs even, still 5' 8".

Two recent developments- As per my thread asking about it, I did pick up some resistance bands. Also, I took a proper look at my diet, and it was a real eye opener. Not that lack of exercise didn't play its role too, but I've been eating like real crap since about this time last year. Basically, I'm getting too many of my calories from processed foods, and I'm falling short on protein intake even for a sedentary fat guy. No wonder walking makes me sore, and no wonder I've had such muscle atrophy over the last year.

So between a revised diet plan, body-weight exercises, resistance bands and some tips from Mission6_OG I hope I'm turning this around.

Breakfast was eggs, ham, onion, peppers, cheese scramble on tortillas. While it was cooking I'd stir it up, do some counter pushups, stir it up again, do squats, stir it up, pace around the place, repeat. I did enough sets to make myself sore by time the food was ready. The breakfast tacos amounted to 37g of protein @ 450 calories. Not bad.

Lunch was shredded chicken, black beans and spinach.

I also drank a very small glass of milk today to see if it will cause issues. I don't think I'm lactose intolerant, but I think my exhaust system is just not used to milk, since I haven't really drank it in probably 20 years. I'm going to try reintroducing it gradually.

15. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

[/QUOTE =I wouldn’t put burpees in the same category as the other three, though I’m not against em! But yeah, I’m a BIG fan of squats and deadlift: in my book, if you aren’t doing those, you aren’t lifting. I couldn’t do pull-ups for over a year because my elbows didn’t like em (I did chin-ups instead), but I’m phasing pull-ups back in gradually with assistance bands. I wanna get back to where I can do a clean set of ten; losing some weight is a big part of the program for that![/QUOTE]

Burpees are about getting on the floor and back up again, an essential part of functional strength.

If you are in Japan, look into strapping on a white belt and joining a Judo dojo. You will learn the meaning of the word functional strength! Pound for pound Judo players are some of the strongest functional humans on the planet.

Jupiter likes this.
  16. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

I've posted about this before, but I'm going on a very low-carb/keto type diet with intermittent fasting. I'm 56 and my blood sugar is way too high. I've lost 5 pounds in 6 weeks. I'm cheating today, though.

17. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Hi Joop, Happy New Year. Good luck with your health program, we gotta keep moving! WTH is a burpee? I thought that's what happens if you drink your Kirin Ichiban too fast.

18. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

You'd think so but I think it's about the same.. as both require disciplined thinking first.
    Conquer the state of mind and discipline required for maintaining or losing weight,. especially due to the overwhelming temptations in this world,..and the body usually follows. I go by the phrases "a moving stone gathers no moss" , "you don't use it, you lose it".....and stay active, especially when you get older.

Where's my double stuff Oreo's?

Peegoo likes this.
  19. Jupiter

[​IMG]

20. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

We used to call that a Squat Thrust.

geoff_in_nc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.