1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2021 weigh-in thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jupiter, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

2020 was the Year of Strength Training for me. I did some pretty heavy lifting for an old guy, and I ate pretty much whatever I wanted to help recover. Consequently, I also hit a PR in body weight...

I have decided to christen 2021 the Year of Mobility! I’ll have several things going, but one of em is the goal of going from 80kg to 70kg by the end of June, and then staying under that through December. I’m gonna try logging my weekly progress here, based on the principle that “what gets measured gets done”.

If anybody else wants to go on record with a weight loss resolution, feel free to post your progress here as well.

I got a little bit of a head start so right now I’m actually at

79.5/175: 9.5kg to go!

2. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Good for you, everybody needs positive goals. I leave 2020 with a heavy heart over the people who lost love ones. Thankful, for the people who stepped forward and made a difference. And look forward to a much much better year in 2021....... May your guitar playing improve and you get the Tele you want :D

Cali Dude likes this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

No loss resolution--but maintaining where I am? That's my goal. I'm 6'4" and 225 lbs; I want to get neither lighter nor heavier. I'm right where I need to be and my doc agrees.

Almost all my contemporaries are slowly putting on weight, and if that's the trend as we get old--I will do my damnedest to stay switched on and keep the pounds off.

Maintaining weight is a whole lot easier than losing it, so huge mojo to you...I hope you hit your goal.

Tonetele and electrichead like this.
  4. Jupiter

Thanks! Ironically, I find it easier to lose weight than to maintain it, because I can get fired up by a goal, like "bench my bodyweight" or "lose 10kg by summer". The problem is AFTERWARDS...

TokyoPortrait and Peegoo like this.
  5. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Afflicted

2021 will be maintaining at 6'0, 175#.

Honey wants me to stay where I am - so I better follow instructions.

6. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Interestingly, I lost weight in 2020. Most people I know put on weight, but I think that my complete lack of eating out at restaurants has afforded me some easy weight loss. I'm 5' 8", and I went from 210 to 195 from April to October. I have put on a few from the holidays (a staycation has meant that I have time to actually make a lot of food and eat it. It's good-for-me-food, but I still ate a lot of it). I expect this to melt off over the next couple of months. 5'8 and 195 is not ideal, but I think I could continue this trend over some time to arrive at 140-145, which is my ideal.

Something that has been striking me this year- I'm starting to feel 'feeble'. As in, move around some heavy stuff, or go for an hour walk, and the next day I'm sore. I'm 46 years old, and I feel like this is pretty unnecessary. I don't remember this being an issue in 2019.

I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions, but the thing I'm working towards is basically getting back into shape. Right now, I'm doing stretching exercises, and will start some body weight stuff soon. When this is all over with I plan on joining a gym. Cardio, some minor weight training, better diet. I don't expect to become a BUFF DEWD but I bet I can improve my quality of life. It seems very achievable.

Oh, plus more sleep and more water. Just not at the same time.

7. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

I'm in the middle of a weight loss effort. I'm 6' 2" and my weight had crept up to 230 pounds.

Since April 2019, I'm down to 203 pounds. I'm watching what I eat and have been cycling and walking a lot.

Last winter I put 8 pounds on between Oct. and Feb. I'm tying to hold steady over the winter, since the gyms aren't an option and cycling is done for the season. Being careful, and tracking my weight daily helps. Stayed away from halloween candy this year.

Hoping to eventually get down around 185 over the next 2 years.

Lake Placid Blue and Peegoo like this.
  8. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Maintenance seem to get harder as one seems to gets older ...

P Thought, Cali Dude and getbent like this.
  9. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I've struggled with the weight thing since I was put on medications that are notorious for weight gain, starting right at the beginning of my 30's. Prior to that, I was 6' 175 lbs. That was at the tail end of the 90's. By '02 or '03 I shot up to about 245 lbs.

I've also had hypertension issues going back to when I was a teenager, and probably only weighed 130 lbs tops, at the time. But when the weight went up, the BP issues also obviously got worse.

I clearly remember in the summer of 2011 getting down to right around 200 lbs. The problem is that I was miserable, because I was sticking to a highly restrictive diet, and I love eating.

By the end of 2016, I'd returned to my old ways, basically eating whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. My weight went back up, and my hypertension got really bad, to where it was basically a crisis. This was the point when I got put on hypertension meds. I was now in my late 40's, so I knew I had to get serious about things, or my luck would run out.

...And I more or less stuck to a better regimen, but again did slip, and was in hot water with my doctor, back in February of 2020. I was about 235 lbs, and my hypertension was bad again. My doctor upped my existing hypertension meds, and added a second one. He told me I had to lose weight, too.

By April or so of 2020, I dropped down to 215 lbs., and my BP got a lot better. I then got my weight as low as 203 lbs in another couple of months. Since then, I've again succumbed to temptation here and there, particularly with birthdays and holidays. So now my typical weight is about 210 lbs.

I have a strong disdain for walking/jogging, and for exercise equipment in the house. I used to go to the YMCA to use their exercise equipment a few years back, but I'm not going there until this COVID thing is done. I used to do on-site contract-based work that meant that I at least was walking a minimum of a half a mile each weekday, but that came to an end last August.

So for me, the hardest part is regular exercise. In spite of the health reasons for it, I just don't enjoy it, if it's intentional. I'm trying to find something fun, but just haven't been successful yet. I'm guessing what I'm experiencing is hardly unique, though.

10. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

6'2 and 180 lbs.

Rocky058 likes this.
  11. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Have you tried riding a bike? It's my favorite form of exercise.

Engine Swap likes this.
  12. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

+1

Low impact and burns a lot of calories, not to mention you're not stuck in a gym.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  13. Jupiter

I realized a couple years ago that my body could no longer sustain the volume of exercise required for me to eat whatever I wanted.

A couple food-related things that I do that don't feel particularly onerous:
    1. No food after dinner time (6-7 pm). I feel really lucky that this is easy for me; I know it isn't for everybody.
    2. Eat the foods that I like, but just LESS. One slice of pizza (or two lol) instead of three, stuff like that. I have a pal at work who eats a GIANT tupperware container of lettuce and chicken breast for lunch every day; that's basically the opposite of my approach. To be fair, he lost a lot of weight doing that--until Christmas break came around... My wife does about the same as my friend: she has a big bowl of steamed cabbage and bean sprouts and tofu for dinner most nights: there is no amount of that in the world that I could eat without feeling deprived lol
    3. Intermittent fasting. Not an extreme version: I just don't eat in the morning until 10:30-11:30. Basically 16 hours between dinner and breakfast. Another friend of mine is doing OMAD (one meal a day) most days of the week; I'm not up for that, man...

14. Jupiter

About biking, I have a recumbent stationary bike. REAL boring, except now I have an iPad, and I even built a laptop stand that fits on it. I just pedal while I surf; pretty painless!

Digital Larry likes this.
  15. Jupiter

78.1 (-1.4kg)

That...seems like a lot! I mean, I’ve been doing intermittent fasting (no food between 7pm and 11am), and riding the stationary bike for 40min (real easy pace) or lifting weights every day, but I’ve still been eating cookies and ginger bread and stuff, and having a fairly normal dinner every night.

I reckon that’s water loss somehow; I expect some correction next week...

getbent likes this.
  16. rewind

rewind Tele-Meister

5'5" @ 110 lbs.+/- 1

I am 64 and enjoy walking approximately 10-20 miles everyday in the early mornings. To exercise my joints, I use a shovel handle as a short staff. Really good for athritic joints I find.

Mojohand40 and Rocky058 like this.
  17. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Best of luck on getting to, and maintaining your goal weight. I put on a few pounds over the holidays and am starting to work them off. I’m 6’ tall and weighed in on 1/1/21 at 187 pounds. This morning I’m down to 184. My goal is 175, but will be happy if I can maintain 180 through 2021.

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My brother in law a man of great wisdom who lives in the mountains, and is uninfluenced by many of the city dwellers distractions related this to me one day. You know, people are just the size they are. In my time I have probably lost 1500 pounds, but always seemed to eventually gravitate back to where I was. I have come to accept, I'm just the size I am.

19. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

My wife and I eat the same meals with roughly equal portions. I'm maybe 10 lbs overweight, and she's 10 pounds underweight.

20. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

Used to be 6'4" and 280lbs, now at 155lbs.

Digital Larry and getbent like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.