2021 NFL season!

Lonn

Friend of Leo's
The Chiefs did what the Chiefs do. All 3 remaining teams beat us in the regular season this year. Going to be tough to beat us twice. We shall see!

lammie200

Friend of Leo's
Jimmy is the 16th best qb in the NFL. He makes tragic mistakes EVERY game. Not gonna dog him beyond that. He makes what would be an awesome team, a tic better than average.

If it had been most SF fans choice, the team would have stayed with Lance after the Arizona game. By now, he'd be growing into the role, similar to Josh Allen taking over for Tyrod.

So, most SF fans do think we'd be better off with Lance. BUT, we also accept that the coach is invested in his system to the degree that he'd rather have JG who knows the whole system but will always throw high in pressure situations than Lance who cannot run the whole playbook yet.

The kid is super fast, smart, has a cannon and in a year or two, will be a beast (unless he does not progress, right?)

Glad the niners won. On to the frozen tundra!

great to see you E.
Lance will have quite a battle coming up with a win percentage close to Jimmy's for the same number of games. Just sayin'. Say what you want about Garapolo but he comes out on the winning end a lot.

Reactions: BB

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Lance will have quite a battle coming up with a win percentage close to Jimmy's for the same number of games. Just sayin'. Say what you want about Garapolo but he comes out on the winning end a lot.

Jimmy had a 68% QB rating yesterday. It is like having don knotts driving a ferrari.

Jimmy has been hurt way more than he has played with the niners, but, he has a completely loaded team in the games he has played.

The top reasons the 49ers beat the Cowboys. 1. The defense 2. Deebo Samuel 3. 14 Dallas penalties 4. The sun . . . . . 37. Jimmy Garoppolo

Jimmy Garoppolo in 4th quarter of his 4 playoff starts for #49ers: 9 for 20, 93 yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs, 19.4 rating. That's lowest 4th quarter playoff QB rating in last 30 years (2 start min).

lammie200

Friend of Leo's
Jimmy Garoppolo in 4th quarter of his 4 playoff starts for #49ers: 9 for 20, 93 yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs, 19.4 rating. That's lowest 4th quarter playoff QB rating in last 30 years (2 start min).
Maybe partly Garoppolo's fault but let's not forget that Shannahan was the Falcon's OC when they imploded in the SB to Brady and the Pats. I am not saying that Garoppolo's is the world's best QB. I am just saying that he has a pretty high win percentage and he started that from day one with SF. He might go to another team and spiral downward in terms of win percentage. We will see. But if Lance can pull off the same win percentage or better that would be quite a feat IMHO.

BTW, Jim Nance must have hooked up with Drew Brees and gotten the same deal at the Hair Club for Men. These guys are amazing restoration talents!

Last edited:

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Maybe partly Garoppolo's fault but let's not forget that Shannahan was the Falcon's OC when they imploded in the SB to Brady and the Pats. I am not saying that Garoppolo's is the world's best QB. I am just saying that he has a pretty high win percentage and he started that from day one with SF. He might go to another team and spiral downward in terms of win percentage. We will see. But if Lance can pull off the same win percentage or better that would be quite a feat IMHO.

BTW, Jim Nance must have hooked up with Drew Brees and gotten the same deal at the Hair Club for Men. These guys are amazing restoration talents!

I don't think Jimmy G is the worst qb ever... he is the 16th best qb right now. He is very average, better than Trent Dilfer worse than Joe Flacco.

His win percentage has a lot to do with his surroundings. The numbers are the numbers. Barry Zito's Giants had an incredible winning percentage and 3 world titles to show for it... he did contribute mightily to ONE of the three championships, but, overall, he sucked and he was a drag on the franchise.

See how those stats can be misleading. His personal stats were bad. But, team winning percentage and success rate was really good.

Nance is a carmel guy and by all accounts one of the last of the breed of sportscasters like Keith Jackson, Joe Starkey, Pat Summerall game reporters and Romo isn't bad either.

The story about how they got to broadcast the game yesterday was pretty funny and it bummed out Troy Aikman which made it even more droll.

Last, the mistakes Jimmy made yesterday were all very poor throws and very poor judgement (not waiting for Trent to get set) so, I think Shannie gets off the hook on that one.

lammie200

Friend of Leo's
...Romo isn't bad either.
Romo is my favorite and I think that Aikman realized that he needed to step up his game because Romo provides so much good insight.

As far as QB stats go the most important is wins. I don't think Bob Griese had great QB stats. I think that he was a reluctant passer. But he won. I think he is also in the HOF. Garopplo ain't going to make that but his career win percentage is pretty good from what I can tell.

Last edited:

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
Romo is my favorite and I think that Aikman realized that he needed to step up his game because Romo provides so much good insight.
Romo is great, no doubt. But I like Aikman too. He doesn't yap too much. He's not afraid to criticize. And when he does, he doesn't try to be diplomatic. Yesterday, for example, he immediately called BS on two momentum-killing calls that went against Philly (roughing the QB and holding), repeatedly questioned Philly's offensive scheme, Hurts's decision-making, Philly's draft decisions, etc. I recognize that he may just have been extra-cranky because he was stuck calling such a lousy game.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Winning % is not a QB stat, nor are championships. Of course we want QBs who can gut out an ugly win, but no one in their right mind would say Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer are better QBs than Marino or Jim Kelly. Elway was 0 for 3 in Super Bowls when he was at the top of his game... and won back to back when his skills had far diminished. Denver won their last SB in spite of Peyton Manning, not because of him.

QBs don't play defense or special teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: BB

Bluesboy3

Tele-Afflicted
I don't think Jimmy G is the worst qb ever... he is the 16th best qb right now. He is very average, better than Trent Dilfer worse than Joe Flacco.

His win percentage has a lot to do with his surroundings. The numbers are the numbers. Barry Zito's Giants had an incredible winning percentage and 3 world titles to show for it... he did contribute mightily to ONE of the three championships, but, overall, he sucked and he was a drag on the franchise.

See how those stats can be misleading. His personal stats were bad. But, team winning percentage and success rate was really good.

Nance is a carmel guy and by all accounts one of the last of the breed of sportscasters like Keith Jackson, Joe Starkey, Pat Summerall game reporters and Romo isn't bad either.

The story about how they got to broadcast the game yesterday was pretty funny and it bummed out Troy Aikman which made it even more droll.

Last, the mistakes Jimmy made yesterday were all very poor throws and very poor judgement (not waiting for Trent to get set) so, I think Shannie gets off the hook on that one.
I am aware of Aikman's comments but if you know the Reader's Digest version I'd love to hear it....

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I am aware of Aikman's comments but if you know the Reader's Digest version I'd love to hear it....

Fox has kind of ruled the roost re: broadcasting big games. The way it worked out, CBS got the first pick and Jim Nance (being a 9er fan and a californian and the network knowing it would be the game that had the most interest and biggest audience) chose the cowboys v. niners and took away Buck and Aikman's normal spot... much to the chagrin of Fox and Aikman and Buck.

in the background there was much maneuvering to no avail to get the game on Fox instead.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Garrapolo scares me if I'm rooting for SF. As mentioned, he does a major panic effup every game, often at a critical juncture.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Romo is great, no doubt. But I like Aikman too. He doesn't yap too much. He's not afraid to criticize. And when he does, he doesn't try to be diplomatic. Yesterday, for example, he immediately called BS on two momentum-killing calls that went against Philly (roughing the QB and holding), repeatedly questioned Philly's offensive scheme, Hurts's decision-making, Philly's draft decisions, etc. I recognize that he may just have been extra-cranky because he was stuck calling such a lousy game.
I like Romo too .... as an announcer. I didn't at first, something about his personality didn't jive with me.
But funny, I was thinking the same exact thing when he called out the ref's yesterday. Good for him.

These teams play hard for months and one bad call can end momentum or their season. Remember New Orleans when the Rams did that 100% obvious PI, what? ....3 years ago? Ended their playoffs and the last Super Bowl attempt for Drew Brees in a year they were really good.
WTF doesn't the officiating crew have the courage to change their calls? I say put an official upstairs or in NY who can push a red button and overturn a call. Make him their Boss. He can eject an official for "Unnecessary stupidity" 🤣 or maybe "shock collars"?

lammie200

Friend of Leo's

Garrapolo scares me if I'm rooting for SF. As mentioned, he does a major panic effup every game, often at a critical juncture.
Misleading or not. Garoppolo's career win percentage is 0.714. Granted he hasn't started as many games as these guys (63 games) but that puts him 5th on the list that I found and ahead of Montana. Those ahead of him in order: Otto Graham (78 games/0.788,) Brady (343 games/0.767,) Lamonica (97 games/0.753,) Staubach (131 games/0.733.) You can also see that only one more healthy season would put him ahead of Graham in starts.

Last edited:

Bluesboy3

Tele-Afflicted
Misleading or not. Garoppolo's career win percentage is 0.714. Granted he hasn't started as many games as these guys (63 games) but that puts him 5th on the list that I found and ahead of Montana. Those ahead of him in order: Otto Graham (78/.788 games,) Brady (343/.games/0.767,) Lamonica (97 games/0.753,) Staubach (131 games/0.733.) You can also see that only one more healthy season would put him ahead Graham in starts.
Stats can be misleading. There are QB's that have led their team to two Super Bowls and are not in the Hall of Fame. Another example: completion percentage is misleading. QB winning percentage is a bit like pitching win/lose record. The QB is a leader but the team they play for is a huge part of it.

Bluesboy3

Tele-Afflicted
I like Romo too .... as an announcer. I didn't at first, something about his personality didn't jive with me.
But funny, I was thinking the same exact thing when he called out the ref's yesterday. Good for him.

These teams play hard for months and one bad call can end momentum or their season. Remember New Orleans when the Rams did that 100% obvious PI, what? ....3 years ago? Ended their playoffs and the last Super Bowl attempt for Drew Brees in a year they were really good.
WTF doesn't the officiating crew have the courage to change their calls? I say put an official upstairs or in NY who can push a red button and overturn a call. Make him their Boss. He can eject an official for "Unnecessary stupidity" 🤣 or maybe "shock collars"?
The whistle call against the Raiders in the Cincy game is second worst all time call against the Raiders, only eclipsed by the tuck rule.