1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2021 Gibson SG Wiring

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Pip1988, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Pip1988

Pip1988 TDPRI Member

Hey guys,

I bought a new SG Standard 61 and I am about to swap out the Pickups for some Seth Lovers. I wanted to check the wiring and if I need to swap the pots to cts 500k too.

so I opened it up and as I did some
    Soldering before on other guitars, I never saw both pick up leads being soldered to the same pot. I am a bit confused. What do you guys think of this wiring?

cheers and thanks
    Pip

Attached Files:

2. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Tele-Meister

Looks fine to me. It's just the braids that are soldered to the back of the same pot, which is ground. The leads go to the outer lug of each volume pot. I circled it in red and green so you can see it easier.

[​IMG]

edit: Just to be a little more clear... Each pickup has a lead wire which is black and then a bare braided wire around the black wire. The braid is the ground/shield for the black signal wire. The shields on your SG are both soldered to the back of the same pot, which really doesn't matter. They can be soldered to any ground location for convenience (unless you're going for a star ground if trying to avoid ground loops). If you swap the pickups out, you can solder the grounds from each pickup to each volume pot, or to the same location as your stock pups are.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    scelestus likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.