2020: speaker sims vs IRs?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by braveheart, Jul 7, 2020.

1. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

Do you still use traditional speaker sims (live,studio,headphones etc.) like Palmer,Rock bug,RedBox etc. ?

For me IRs are a must as soon as I put headphones on and/or record/practice.It just feels more "real",dynamic,lively and "3d"...but loud, live or for jamming (rehearsal etc.), they still do a good job...

What about you?

2. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I used IR's with amp sims for some years, but they always sounded inanimate to me. For example, no bounce in the bass end for a speaker IR made from a 412 cab. Speakers sound different according to how hard they are being driven, playing dynamics, and the frequency content that is driving them at an instant in time. And speakers can have desirable distortions (greenbacks, for example). An IR by comparison is a single static curve of a speaker's response that doesn't change dynamically. I have wondered why no one at least captures a handful of IR's of the same speaker setup from softest level to pushed level and uses some math averaging to fill in the curves that fall inbetween. It seems that would at least have some dynamics to it.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.