2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees announced...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by micpoc, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

Ugh. Rappers are felons, then?

2. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

I have been one of the biggest rocknroll fan since I was a child. I've been to a ton of noted artists show. I like fusion, some jazz. Heck I went to see Brad Paisley alone cause no rocker I knew would go. STOP!, All said, why is it I have absolutely no desire to see the ROCKNROLL hall of fame? I should support them, but I don't want to. This world is not normal by a long shot. I see nothing inviting enough for me to expose myself to the escapade. It probably just shouldn't be.

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Well, the ones I represented who were not felons, didn't seem to be taken seriously. That's just my personal experience. Nice guys, who lacked credibility.

And you have forgotten just how large a segment of the New Orleans population have been through the system. I haven't.

I think, if you wanna get past the struggles of your life, you go and sing Ave Maria at church services. You embrace the rest of the culture of your community. Instead of trying to exaggerate your connection to Tulane and Broad and the House of D. Rap is about Defiance and Confrontation. Which I guess is fine for people living in posh suburbs but it actually holds you down if you still live on the street you were born on.

Rap is like people eating greasy, triple Cheeseburgers. In the end, it just isn't good for your health. I'm sick of people promoting things that hurt others, for no meaningful gain.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  4. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame is a misnomer.
    How about “The Most Popular Music Hall Of Fame”. There, I fixed it.

Lawdawg likes this.
  5. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

rnrhof yawner

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Lawdawg likes this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

A bit of a stereotype, isn't it? Too strong an assertion IMHO, that a musical genre is married to cultural and societal dysfunctions. I know most of this is outside the scope of what can be discussed here, so that almost troll-like meme is kinda surprising. Blues wasn't so uplifting or morally redeeming either (or real rock n roll for that matter). Most people don't want to live a RnR or real Bluesman lifestyle, that's why it's paid entertainment for the people who want to listen. If I can listen to morally reprehensible Jerry Lee Lewis or Hasil Adkins, I can listen to Melle Mel warning about the dangers of white lines, and Biggie too.

7. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

My usual caveat -- the RnR HOF is a stupid concept stupidly implemented.

That out of the way, I was pleasantly surprised to see Depeche Mode get in. Well deserved.

micpoc and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  8. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lawdawg likes this.
  9. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Same caveat as my above post.

Happy though I am to see Depeche Mode get in, putting them in and Nine Inch Nails, but not Kraftwerk, is a nice example of the stupidity of the exercise.

Manual Slim and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  10. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

agree. NIN owes a lot to Depeche Mode. and Depeche Mode certainly owes something to Kraftwerk, who, i think it is fair to say, are recognized innovators of the electronica genre.

Greggorios, BorderRadio and Lawdawg like this.
  11. robmclark

robmclark TDPRI Member Platinum Supporter

BorderRadio likes this.
  12. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Just as much as the Grammys are too!

13. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Wrong thread, perhaps?

14. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

100% and on top of that Kraftwerk was hugely influential on Detroit Techno/ Chicago House and early Hip Hop.

15. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

eh - i prefer what ministry or nitzer ebb were getting up to around the same time.

BorderRadio likes this.
  16. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Perhaps the Rock and Roll part of the name should change, maybe it's dated. Music For The Masses could work as a name ;)

17. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

The whole thing is a bit of a non-event to me, TBH. I always think this kind of thing appeals to those who like to obsessively make lists.

IMHO Whitney had a great voice, & the Doobie Bros were like an aurally-administered sedative.

However, if the HoF has any notions of musical credibility then the omission (so far) of Kraftwerk has to be addressed.
    Whether you like them or not, their influence on the whole musical landscape (OK, probably not including country...) of the last 50 years is huge.

tamer_of_banthas and Lawdawg like this.
  18. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

You have a narrow idea of what rap is, then. Hell, Kendrick Lamar won a Nobel prize.

Mart the Hat likes this.
  19. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

It's not a full scope of what rap and hip-hop really are. There are and have always been plenty of artists who don't represent that stereotype.

fendertx and BorderRadio like this.
  20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When I first came to New Orleans in 1971, we did have a manufacturing plant that made neckties. For real. And of course there's the plant that manufactured toilets, just off Airline in Kenner. But, for the most part we do "port" activity and we have lots of lots of people trained in various service trades. Cooks, waiters, bellhops, bartenders, choreographers, stage hands, musicians and so on. That's what we do. When young people are trying to determine how to get ahead, they wanna open studios or learn how to protect their intellectual property rights and lawyers with a street presence will get a steady flow of people who are looking for clues as to how to get ahead and stay ahead. New Orleans just seems to be swimming in people with all sorts of talents that pertain to entertaining and looking after people. The average kid doesn't aspire to be a burglar or thug. Some of these people are prepared to just about work themselves to death. It isn't stereotyping.

(The chance for) Upward Mobility is what changed, between the blues/rhythm and blues/rock/funk generation, and the rap generation. A potential rap personality might be holding a college scholarship package, where the blues guy wasn't even allowed in the door. Opportunity is what has changed. I'm not inclined to be judgmental of Aaron Neville or Lee Dorsey if the alternative to playing music was working, loading and unloaded cargo vessels on the waterfront. That was their menu of choices. But I would submit that the New Orleanians younger than me, can break away and attempt any lifestyle at all that appeals to them. Going the gangster route is an affirmative decision - it is only a default choice if you lack character.

Greggorios and MickM like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.