2020 Epiphone-headstock-SG-goes-full-Gibson NGD

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by BorderRadio, Feb 18, 2020.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Well, I pre-ordered a new 2020 Epiphone SG Pelham Blue Special, the P90 thing that was supposed to kill upon delivery.

The bad news is the pickup routes on mine were bumched and there were at least 3 dead-note frets. Everything else was hella bada$$ for a neck diving guitar. I really liked the almost green tint on the blue too.

Along came the President’s Day sale at GC, and well, I just went Gibson instead. Before this, I tried all the Pelham Blue Gibby SG Specials in my cities, and they all had bad rosewood, you know the kind that looks like a Pau board that Indian Laurel can easily surpass. Yes, I prefer dark rosewood, but it’s rare. That’s just me. I passed on all those on sale, @$1099.

I exchanged the Epi SG for a blowout LP Special DC in cherry, and you know what? This was the way to go @599. No neck dive, no dead notes, all the P90-wraparound tone and the rosewood was dark. Some minor tooling marks, sure, and a slightly skinny neck but it’s got some shoulder and width so I don’t notice. I’m happy—this thing is getting some DeArmond Model 2000 clone/Gabajo pickups....why not? :)

A08A686F-AF8F-497C-BEC8-BF47BC32B85F.jpeg D10A3A62-C22A-4749-ADB8-35D880F27377.jpeg B75B90CA-02E3-4F59-9B7C-35652C78F5F0.jpeg

dalezjc, Fendereedo, John O and 5 others like this.
  2. BorderRadio

Pelham Blue always grabs me but I can’t resist a DC Special/Junior...

67A1936C-4817-4E47-82A7-46563CEF6114.jpeg 8EADDE66-9758-476E-A7C9-96A5127FA80F.jpeg 596F2331-928D-4FCB-9AE5-5DB2DB71F551.jpeg

3. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

The 2020 updates to Epihpoen made me excited, but 3 dead notes is kind of worrying.

The models I was looking out for were the Firebird, and I sure hope that one doesn't have any neck dive.

Deepblankspace and BorderRadio like this.
  4. BorderRadio

Yeah, I’m hoping it’s just a lemon. I was eying the Firebird too, but it’s better to wait until you can test out the actual guitar, as I was able to with the Gibson DC Special tribute. The new Epi’s are ‘Special’ but QC will make or break this line-up—they have the Squier CV standard to live up to, IMHO.

5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

raysachs and BorderRadio like this.
  6. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well, it sure looks good, but we have to take @BorderRadio at his word about what it feels/sounds like (until a clip is posted).

The "new" epi headstock looks good, too.

Peace - Deeve

BorderRadio likes this.
  7. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Pelham Blue is nice, but I’d still always go Special/Junior over SG any day. Very pretty!

BorderRadio and 985plowboy like this.
  8. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Not surprised that the Gibson C trumps the Epi. Much as I love SGs, the DC looks better-made. I think a lot of bargain Epis are false economies, really. I'd rather spend more upfront and get a better guitar that I will enjoy day after day after day.

BorderRadio and 985plowboy like this.
  9. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

You did well!
    I am in a bad LP GAS period so yes, double cuts rule! What a beauty... :cool:

BorderRadio likes this.
  10. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Huge upgrade there, imo.

Congrats!

BorderRadio likes this.
  11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I just grabbed a Pelham blue single cut LP Special with zebra hum buckers and a stopbar tailpiece for $599 brand new at GC. 7.4lbs. Plays like dream. I asked why it was tagged so low and the answer was Gibson changed the line so even though it was new and current year, it is no the latest thing, so they had to clear it out. Works for me. Especially because I had several pedals to trade so my cash out of pocket was under $200.

The stock pickups are really nice but I have had a jones to try the Duncan Saturday Nite Specials. So it's at my local shop getting those installed in exchange for several more pedals I wasn't using. And setup with 11s, a bone nut, a 1m audio taper neck volume pot and 500k audio taper bridge volume pot, and treble bleeds. Even with the value of the upgrades I'll be well under a grand for a US made, set neck, nitro rocker. Everyone wins.

@BorderRadio - I don't always like cherry but that one is really nice. Leaning walnut a little. Nice dark board too. Enjoy!

BorderRadio likes this.
  12. BorderRadio

The Epi feels and sounds great, those P90s are great at what they do, no surprises there. The dead frets however are something I can’t ignore on any brand new guitar at any price so back it went. The neck was nice, not as chunky as the 2019 PB Gibsons I compared against, but close enough. The Gibsons all neck dived, and the Epi was actually not too bad. If I kept the Epi, I’d move the strap button to the ‘devil horn’, something I’d hesitate to do to the Gibson.

Deeve likes this.
  13. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Some of the You Tube reviewers are starting to do vids on them and finding lots of QC problems with the frets and finishes.

bender66 likes this.
  14. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I like that new head so much better, and yes, because Pelham!

BorderRadio likes this.
  15. Deepblankspace

Deepblankspace TDPRI Member

Were the dead notes high frets?

16. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

So Epiphones are becoming more like Gibsons! :D

BorderRadio and bender66 like this.
  17. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Nice Les Paul! Glad it ended so well!

BorderRadio likes this.
  18. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Man that blue is gorgeous. Too bad on those frets. Trogly bought almost the entire line to review. Quite a few issues, frets being one.

I just get can't passed that PG on those DC's & Specials. Too odd a duck looking. They look like Maestros.

BorderRadio likes this.
  19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

A new Gibson for $599? Great deal. It looks quite handsome too. I never met a P90 I didn't like.

BorderRadio likes this.
  20. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm surprised people aren't hating those with a vengeance. Among the 70s Gibson haters' complaints were:
    1. volutes
    2. bolt-on necks
    3. front routing with pickguards

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.