2020 Corvette - What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dkmw, Jul 19, 2019.

1. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

I like it. In fact, I really like it. Whether the car appeals to you or not, I think that you should consider the great accomplishments of the GM engineers. They have built a technologically sophisticated high performance car at an amazingly attractive price, and I think that it is likely to be well-received in the marketplace. I know many Corvette owners who have been waiting for a mid-engine model for several years, and they will buy one. I suspect that some Ferrari and Lamborghini buyers will also become Corvette converts, and I won't be surprised if this car even appeals to sub-50 year old buyers. Remember back in the '60s and '70's when guys in their twenties actually bought Corvettes? I think that GM has a shot at winning a younger audience with this car.

I have studied Corvettes for several years, beginning with the C4 from the mid-1980's. I'd never buy an early C4, but as I learned more about each particular model year I was amazed at the consistent improvements that were made. The same was true for the C5, C6, and C7, and the Corvette has evolved in to a great car. Doubters may be basing their opinions on memories of cars that were built 30 or 40 years ago. Spend some time in a 2014-2019 C7, and I think you will be convinced that Chevy has done a great job recently. As good as the C7 is, I'm betting that this new C8 is a huge leap forward.

I get the idea that fans of the traditional front engine Vette are upset. It's a shame that Chevy can't offer more than one Corvette model, like Porsche does. If they continued the C7, they probably could have priced the C8 $20,000 higher and it still would have sold very well.

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

It's a decent, typical looking "super car" type of styling. I'm not gonna say it looks horrible, but it doesn't really move me, and I certainly don't think "Corvette" when I see it. I've never been into Corvettes, or Ferraris and the like. But that said, I would love me a silver '63 coupe with a red interior:

011316_1.jpg

6642_1547607312_0.jpg

Screenshot-2017-01-23-13.23.33.png

SplitWindCoupe_07.jpg

1963-split-window-coupe-corvette-silver-red-0805-911x683.jpg

Jim622, boris bubbanov and Stubee like this.
  3. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Thoughtful post. I’d heard for some time that the C7 would continue with the C8, but researched after your info and see that ain’t gonna happen. So I too hope the C8 is a huge success for GM. I’d hate to see the Corvette popularity fizzle, even though I’ve never owned one and likely never will. I’ve lusted after them for 56+ years and even though my wife repeatedly said “Go ahead!”
    I never drove a used one that grabbed me enough to buy it, and quit shopping when the C5 came along as I knew I’d likely succumb. The C6-C7 would plant their tendrils in me even more deeply, so I just stare. Hell, I still browse ads for C5-C6 convertibles with a manual. So tempting...

I did start asking my Corvette loving friends. First is John, a marina owner who’s owned a slew of ‘em from 1950s to C5 and perhaps C6, and still has a few. He said “I’m kinda torn. I’m an older guy and really like the front engine platform because that’s what I’ve driven for years, but I’ll bet that new one is a great handling car, and fast.” He’s looking forward to seeing it.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

EsquireOK likes this.
  5. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

I agree totally (and there’s really no debate) that the technology and price are an amazing combo. Performance will be right up there with $$$$$$$ supercars.

I still can’t get behind the gee-whiz styling, though. Too busy for me. Many others will love it, of course - it’s subjective.

In the stylist’s defense, the mid engine platforms are said to place constraints on what can be done. This is why most mid engine two-seaters look somewhat alike. And they probably did a lot of wind tunnel and CFD analysis that “shaped” bodywork as well.

boris bubbanov and CharlieO like this.
  6. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’m a Jeep guy.

7. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I can't disagree. A silver '63 Stingray with a red interior and a 4-speed is as good as it gets in the Corvette universe. I'm having a hard time choosing between the whitewalls and the redlines. Still, I think I would rather drive the 2020.

8. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Here’s a whole new portion of discussion, what do you think of this interior?

In order to avoid copyright issues, this is a low res image.

I’m not fond of the Great Wall of Buttons between driver and passenger. Nor the size of screen. In fairness, I don’t like the screens that size in any vehicle. If I want a computer monitor I’ll just stay home.

FA337080-DF52-45D5-A830-F81371BD12FB.jpeg

9. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Well, looking at that interior there's no doubt it's a 100% American design, anyway.

Stubee and dkmw like this.
  10. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

:lol:

11. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Is it any more attention-seeking than the styling of the C7?

I mean, the current model is anything but subtle...

12. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Good point - but it’s the increased use of the origami approach on the new one that puts me off. Too busy for me, as I’ve said.

13. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I wonder how much radar-evading technology has been built into it...

Wally, dkmw, MattyK-USA and 1 other person like this.
  14. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It has a new radar-evading right pedal :)

dkmw likes this.
  15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

And how the Mighty have fallen.

I don't know. I like way less than half of the vehicle interiors I see on 2019 vehicles.

dkmw and MattyK-USA like this.
  16. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When I was ten to twelve I had a slot car that was the 63 to 67 body style white with red interior. So change the silver to white and I will take one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.