2020 Corvette - What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dkmw, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

The 1974 Corvette and the 1994 one as well, those were my favorites of all time.

I'm not really a fan of the last two generations 'Vettes, but this mid-engine beast is a real head-turner.

Will I ever own one?
    Absolutely not.

But it's nice to look at.
    Sort of like fine art.
    Very expensive, noisy fine art.

:oops:

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  2. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Kind of a long trip in a rental, ain't that?

3. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I loved the look of the C7 when it came out and the one I rode in was Unreal. Someone at the track was talking about them going cheap when the C8 came out. Maybe there's hope for me. OF course the one I was in was 6 speed with the track package. Any idea what that runs? It was on par performance wise with the GT-3. Which is hard to reconcile in the PCA.

Not clear what you're saying, but the RB car was a 928. That was all larded up with all the features and the 911 was supposed to have gone away. 928 was top of the line at the time and cost a good deal more. You can buy them "cheap" these days because they need a lot of expensive TLC and the rich that didn't want to support that, just traded or sold them.

stealyerface and dkmw like this.
  4. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

What I was trying to say with regards to the Porsche, was that you could buy a Porsche relatively cheaply, or you could spend $300,000.

The 914 was a horrid car, a glorified VW, and barely at that. But, you could have “a Porsche”.

With the Corvette, you can spend $60k-$100k and get the same car, only different in performance.

This 2020 car will be a gamechanger for the super/ultra car market.

~syf

5. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

I'm not going to say its not a nice car.......its very nice. But it's not a Corvette IMO. But then again I wish Camaros still had T Tops so........

6. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Want a Corvette?

The 2020 not working for you?

Buy an old one. There are plenty around. They seemingly last forever, and the bodies, at least, never rust

Have I ever told the story how we got to babysit a brand new light blue ‘63 split window coupe while it’s owner wintered over in Florida? That set my mind on what a Corvette should be. To me everything else has been downhill.

Flat6Driver and schmee like this.
  7. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

In my area there is a 2008 Corvette with 87 miles on it for sale for $47,000. Why not wait a year, pay $13,000 more and get a 2020 relatively state of the art Corvette. If you want a used one wait about a year and a half and get one cheap.
    By the way there are a lot of garage queen Corvettes out there for sale.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    bcorig likes this.
  8. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think it looks good. Not good for my back.

9. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I wonder if, in a few years, “garage queens” will be like what vintage guitars are looking like now - diminishing demand. I’m willing to wager that soon such cars might be illegal to operate in California.

DugT likes this.
  10. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I could get into the Corvettomad more...
    [​IMG]

scelestus likes this.
  11. boop

boop Tele-Meister

It's basically nice looking, but I don't know why the trend is to make cars look angry aggressive.

I liked the look of the 2005 Ford GT. I think it will age better style wise.
    [​IMG]

12. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

The 2005 GT is gorgeous. Very true to the feel of the GT40. The latest GT, though, is a lot more aggressively styled than the 2005. I like it a lot more than the new Corvette, but they’re both a lot more derivative of the European supercars.

13. kris ford

kris ford TDPRI Member

THIS:
    [​IMG]
    Is what my ideal Vette looks like!

scelestus, matrix and RetroTeleRod like this.
  14. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Arizona Hwy 101 is the loop around the town on the East side of PHX is only about two miles from the airport. I have driven THAT 101 as well...lol

P Thought likes this.
  15. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I think it’s hot. (Spoken in Paris Hilton’s voice.)

16. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I watched a bunch of videos on the new Corvette on YouTube and, while they made me appreciate its power and speed and how it will program itself via GPS to adjust its ride height for different roads, they didn't inspire any feelings of car lust or envy. It doesn't have a unique visual identity and it's hilariously impractical. (Unlike the commentators, I was not impressed that the trunk could fit two whole golf bags.)

I got obsessed with the Dodge Challenger after seeing the movie "Nightcrawler." It's oversized and retro and built on a platform developed 15 years ago. But t speaks to me. And, as this video shows, it can fit seven Costco toilet paper packages in its trunk.

P Thought likes this.
  17. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

If I didn't know that the car was a Corvette, I would think that someone built a car that was supposed to look a little bit like a Corvette.

18. newminglewoodblue

newminglewoodblue Tele-Meister

I'll let you know after I trade my C7 in for the C8, which will happen in another 100,000 miles (about 4 years for me). Chevy builds a super car for the ordinary dude, how cool is that? (under $60,000).

dkmw likes this.
  19. newminglewoodblue

newminglewoodblue Tele-Meister

Regarding my storage space (C5, and now my C7), I have fit a medium sized PA, including speakers and stage monitors, AND my tele to a gig. My storage compartment is MASSIVE!!!

20. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We’ve learned that the C8 is a world-class bargain, and that almost all eras of Corvettes have fans here. IMHO all the iterations have had their good points, except for maybe some of those mid to late 70s and into the 80s models when Chevy got a little confused. I guess you could say I like ‘em all, but I’m not an owner because there’s always been another vehicle I would prefer.

The race program with the new car should be epic. I can’t wait to watch. The C6 and C7 factory race teams have fielded great, and very successful, efforts. Winning at Le Mans, etc.

But the last time there was this much attention on a Corvette factory racer, it was 1963. Chevy engineers decided to build a Cobra-killer; only to have the factory pull the plug on racing program. They only built five of these Corvette Grand Sports - they remain legendary and compete at historic races like this one at Laguna Seca (a great American road course). Fantastic sounds from a 377 ci smallblock and straight cut gears. The racing starts at ~4:25 and he has an off at ~8:25.

Skully likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.