2020 Corvette - What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dkmw, Jul 19, 2019.

1. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

2. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

It's not as hideous as the previous model, but if I had 100 cars none of them would be a Corvette.

3. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just watched the Leno video with the new C8. It looks a lot better in the video. Maybe because the POV isn't from 10 inches off the ground? As expected the performance specs are "stupid fast". Sub 3-second 0-60 MPH in the top form, and fastest base model ever. I think this thing is going to sell like hotcakes in this segment.

DugT and g-Paul like this.
  4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I thought mid engine was to address how powerful cars have become and make traction.

On the whole it just doesn't interest me very much. Performance cars interested me for much of life but not for years now. Maybe that will change when I'm too old to do sports but overall it's kind of whatever. I'm not sure the performance cars are even the advancement of engineering as they once were considering we're soon to have far more electric cars.

5. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

It's certainly cheaper than a Ferrari, Lambo or McClaren if mid life crisis sports cars are your thing.

Personally I'd rather have a full spec Audi A6

6. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

I'm hoping that mid-life crisis happens soon. :)

7. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Yes, my first thought as well.

8. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Personally, I would be happier with one of these...
    [​IMG]

scelestus, kris ford and ataylor like this.
  9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Looks like the aerovette concept from the 60's? 60k for something that may out-maneuver, and out-accelerate the import competition, is a mission statement goal I think.

10. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

That looks like a Hot Wheels with those giant wheels on a tiny body. Soooo dated.

11. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Yes it does but the point was that a mid engine car IS popular.

12. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

$60k, and 0-60 in under three seconds...

They’ll sell.

They are 200 times the car from the 60’s 70’s and 80’s combined.

Two sets of golf clubs between the top-storage section of the trunk, and a GPS enabled leveling system so the car knows to raise up the suspension when it pulls into your driveway with the tall curb...

I sell them, and we’ll sell every single one we can get our hands on.

The car is magnificent. Don’t believe the hate.

Absolutely magnificent.

~syf

Flat6Driver, Stubee and MattyK-USA like this.
  13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I grew up loving that (and earlier) iteration of the Vette but even back then thought those were the most boring, underwhelming wheels ever .

14. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Interesting thread still. I need to ask the admittedly few friends I have who are multiyear Corvette owners. I can get hold of all of them, I think. Two have owned dozens because they’d hunt down good old ‘60s models at great prices, then fix them up, enjoy ‘em a bit then sell. They really knew their game. As one guy told me years ago when I was contemplating a Corvette said, “Corvettes have been very, very good to me”. I could tell.

Another is a close friend and I still remember when he picked me up in his first Corvette, a ‘61 or ‘62 ragtop he bought when he got outta the USAF about 1973. A bit later he bought another ‘61 or ‘62 ragtop (I can’t recall because he lives about 600 miles away) and when his Dad was on his deathbed in the mid ‘70s he said “Whatever you do, don’t sell your Corvette!” and my friend said he wouldn’t and has honored that promise. He went through a near tragic divorce with a beautiful alcoholic wife he deeply loved and remarried a woman we’d known way back in high school. He lost and regained his heart and kept his Corvette. They are very happy 20 years on, but his new wife who is wonderful in all other respects didn’t like long trips in his old Corvette so he finally had it redone with C5 or C6 underpinnings and drivetrain (including AC!) so they could take it to see their grandkids outta state. He kept all the parts, just like he kept the original 327 when his brother helped him drop in a crate engine years back. His older brother has a number of Corvettes, including a ‘67 427 he does burnouts in his garage with when he visits him in Texas, then my friend shows me a video.

I’m just an armchair Corvette lover. I’ll ask those guys what they think because I’m truly curious.

15. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

2020 Corvette - What Do You Think?

Nothing

16. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Here is what I think. I'm amazed the price is only $60k! I think it looks great and has great specs and a great price. I've had a few fast sports cars and they were fun but now that I am 68 I'm not real interested, partly because cars like that aren't practical and there is too much risk of getting a ticket if you take advantage of its performance. I would be more interested if I had a bigger garage. At my age, I have a better appreciation for quiet cars.

Last year I decided to buy an electric car partly because they are so quiet. However, the salesman never called me back to arrange the purchase. About a month later his salesmanger called and said the salesman had an emergency health issue on the night he was supposed to call me back and then he had to quit. That was a message from God saying gorillas shouldn't drive electric cars.

I wonder how the low price of $60k will affect the resale value of somewhat new Corvettes? For example, there are many 2017 Corvettes for sale for about $50k. I think just about everyone would pay a $20k premium for a 2020. I also think a lot of posers with a recent model will be wanting to upgrade. There could be an excess supply of used Corvettes for sale. Would you like a cheap recent model Corvette with low milage? Wait one year.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  17. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

If you're makin' that jack, you can get the crack!

Flat6Driver likes this.
  18. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

19. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

One of my girlfriends in college drove an Audi 100. It had electrical issues roughly equivalent to a British sports car, meaning constant. When that car was down, frequently, she would drive her mom’s canary yellow 73 454 Vette.

That thing was a beast. Needless to say, I drove the h out of it a few times. The huge lump made it understeer like crazy, until you touched the throttle, at which point the back end would break loose and it was game on for steering corrections. Not an easy car to drive fast at all, if corners were involved.

The most amazing thing was that you could dump the clutch at idle and the engine would bog a bit, but the car would launch and roll away without stalling. Enough torque to pull stumps.

kris ford likes this.
  20. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

DugT, you have touched on what will be a major issue here in the next year.

What this $60k rocket ship has officially done, is render the 2019 Z06, ($90-$104k) an albatross in a foamy sea of seething regret...

The person who just laid out the money for sub-3 horsepower and speed, will see their car depreciate to historic levels. What will soon ensue, will be the people who think they’ll trade that Z06 for the new one at even money. Add to the fact that GM will have to incentivize the 19’s to force purchases (aside from availability) of leftover inventory, and you are looking at what will be an epic depreciation between model/calendar year/redesign.

Couple of other tid bits...

Automatic only. That’s right sports car purists, no manual transmission and no clutch. It’s gone. Paddle shift only. Fret not, despite what your dad told you, automatics are faster.

An entirely new frame for the first time in 40 years. Yes, they altered and stretched the original racing design over the years, but this one is brand new.

Kudos to GM for figuring out how to stuff that V8 in the center of the car. They could have made a twin turbo 6 and made life a lot easier, but nostalgia said it had to be an 8 cylinder. It is, and it is ridiculously awesome in there.

See one in real life, listen to it and drive it before jumping on the hate wagon...

Unlike Porsche and Ferrari etc... You can buy the model on the poster as a normal person. There’s a reason that Tom Cruise’s father Porsche in “Risky Business” wasn’t a 914. Yes, it’s a Porsche but it’s not a 944 or a 911 GT2 for that matter.

Look how many folks here in the forum have had Corvettes. Not too many hand raisers on the Bugatti, Lamborghini, and $500,000+ supercar list. You buy a 2020 Vette you can rub elbows with the fastest cars out there, hang with the hoi polloi and build a lake house with the leftovers...

Do yourself a favor and go drive one when they hit the showrooms. Seriously...

If you think you hate it now, wait ‘til you drive it! ;)

~syf

Stubee and DugT like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.