2020 Corvette - What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dkmw, Jul 19, 2019.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As comfortable as it may be to drive down the road with the top down and windows up...please...it's especially unsettling to see a beautiful car like an SLK being displayed in this manner. And it's compounded if the driver is a man with about 45% male pattern baldness setting in...:)

CharlieO likes this.
  2. reactor99

reactor99 TDPRI Member

I think it looks terrific, but it's a wee bit out of my price range at the moment. :)

jannodude and dkmw like this.
  3. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A couple thoughts..

- Styling on the Vette keeps getting more and more "fast and furious" and less classy.
    - They're still marketing the storage space with golf clubs, which to me implies they are going after old guys. Not many younger or even middle aged guys playing golf anymore
    - The only Vette I've ever driven was a C5, my FIL had one. The storage space in that car was pretty good for a 2-seater.
    - All these cars seem so impractical for anything but just puttering around driving slowly to show off that you have money, they're all so overpowered and hard to drive on the street, and all the performance is completely inaccessible without risking going to jail
    - Because they keep adding more and more ridiculous levels of performance, they have to throw even more engineering at trying to make the car manageable on the street, which just keeps making everything more complex, heavier, more parts to break, etc..
    - The future is electric cars... all these sports cars are dinosaurs. At least the vette is staying pure as just an ICE car, all the stuff like the Hybrid European super cars that weigh 4000lbs because of the hybrid drivetrain and such and have insanely complex hybrid drivetrains are ridiculous. When you see Teslas getting the equivalent of > 100mpg and they have absolutely obscene performance you know the writing is on the wall... as soon as the electric cars start to drop in weight and someone figures out how to cool the batteries for better endurance on the track it's all over for these cars.

I get the idea of an expensive luxury car, I get the idea of having a track toy you tow to the track that's really fast.. but these cars that are upper level race cars that then get shoehorned into a street car through tons of work appeal to me less and less as I get older. At some point in my 20s I would have said I wanted one, but couldn't afford it. Now I could afford it, but have no interest.

If the only guys who care about Corvettes are again Corvette fans I can see the argument against mid-engine.

dkmw and unixfish like this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, I like it. Probably about 45 years too late, but they finally made it mid-engined. The industrial design is not very innovative, but I have read for half a century that GM marketing did not want to alienate their devoted Corvette buying base (they are a strange lot IMO), so certainly they had to throw in the wedge front hood, but the decision to make it current with the newer Camero rear was pretty smart and the combo looks like the newer exotics as it should. Coming from being a Porsche fanatic and being a big mid engine design fan, it should be the best performance "budget" mid engined sports car out there.

I have a friend with an old Pantera and got to drive a co-worker's Lambo Muira (transverse V-12) along with a fun driving experience in a modern Porsche Boxer. Yup, the mid engined Corvette is way over due.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    dkmw likes this.
  5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

I thought last years ZR1 was pretty
    cool. Saw one in a parking lot.

jannodude and dkmw like this.
  6. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I have not seen a clear interior shot, but...

That car seems to have a huge "wedge" to the right of the driver with a row of about 25 buttons. Any idea what that is? It seems unnecessarily big.

dkmw likes this.
  7. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Unsettling, you say. :p My wife and I are 69. The SLK was actually an anniversary gift to her for our 40th. She has a friend the same age who looks even older. Two old ladies in a sports car with the top down is more than unsettling, but at our age we just don't care who's unsettled. :rolleyes: My winter top down attire is a naturally reliced deer skin bomber jacket that I bought 15 years ago in Paris (not Paris, TX) with my male pattern baldness concealed by a vacation destination (Maui) ball cap and I don't feel the slightest bit unsettled by it. :lol: Even more unsettling to some is the country music blasting from the stereo. I pulled into a Starbucks one morning and a guy getting into a car next to me yelled over the music, "That music belongs in a truck." I'm a firm believer in the benefits of leading an unsettled life. :D

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I always favored German cars over German automobiles...

But - ya gotta pay achtung because a lot of them there German motorcars/locomobiles/horselesscarriages are built by $13 an hour good old boys you-know-where...:rolleyes:

(Waiting, waiting...)

9. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

I’ve almost always liked GM’s Corvette designs, even their 80s models (to a lesser extent, of course). This one probably falls more in line with the 80s Vettes in my eyes. It’s sharp, but it doesn’t really do anything special visually.

dkmw likes this.
  10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Lo00000ng window hatchback ?

dkmw likes this.
  11. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

I think i like it, but i'll say it is very different than any corvette than came before, radical change. I approve of the "jet fighter" components.

MattyK-USA and dkmw like this.
  12. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

I have worked at Chevrolet dealerships for the last 30 years and the mid engine design is popular and I think it will sell big time.
    Chevrolet as a company cater to the Vette owners in ways that most people do not know.

Obsessed, dkmw and Flat6Driver like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

When I look at the new Corvette, I immediately build a daydream about being rich enough to buy my 23 year old girlfriend one of those.

verb boten, matrix, dkmw and 4 others like this.
  14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Those are (the late) Vern Troyer's golf clubs.

upload_2019-7-19_10-16-28.jpeg

verb boten, Deathray, dkmw and 3 others like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

16. boris bubbanov

The main thing that's wrong with this new Corvette, is it means the death of the C7 and it was selling great and I saw a boatload of those on the open roads when I did this 8,000 mile summer West road trip.

I think they embarked on this C8 not knowing whether or if the C7 would get into production or how well it would be received. GM is like a battleship and they couldn't get the C8 project stopped or diverted and now it will run down and destroy the C7 and its cachet.

This is a waste of money by an ossified corporation that's in real trouble. I would've kept the C7 and sold the new vehicle as a Cadillac, at least. Yes, I know the C7 and the Camaro somewhat overlap on one another's target buyer but sometimes you just have to accept that.

And I think that GM should not scrap nearly so many of their Sedan models. Get rid of 1-2, because if you Clean House and are left with almost no selection, you look Desperate. Buyers don't buy anything from those who look desperate and this advice applies to Ford in the same way. They need to keep 2/3rds of their sedans, to demonstrate their strength and solidity EVEN IF they have to offer them below cost to rental car companies or State and US government agencies.

dkmw and Toto'sDad like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Part two of day dream. Here you go sweetie, who's your daddy?!

[​IMG]

IrishTeleDan and dkmw like this.
  18. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

It looks like it's going to turn into a robot and fight other robots.

19. boris bubbanov

I agree, there's nothing profoundly wrong with the styling of this vehicle. IF the interior ergonomics are like many mid-engine cars are, this new car will actually fit me far better than the older ones do. I'm just very concerned this car will end up costing GM far more money to offer to the public than the previous ones did. Unless this new one is a runaway success, GM will lose money. Possibly a LOT of money. This cannot keep happening.

I don't know what Chevy has done, to preserve the means to make C7s. Probably too late. But even now if there was any way to keep the C7 around and re-assign this new car to Cadillac and double the MSRP, that would be the right move to make.

Really well off people; those who can afford a Corvette, are often really tall or really fat - sometimes both. The front motored Corvettes were really well suited to fit a larger portion of these kinds of guys, while also fitting willowy, long legged female customers. That's not what a Mid Engine vehicle can do well. I predict a lot of old tyme Corvette owners will balk at this new cockpit when they get in there. They will feel cramped - and they will walk away.

20. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Yup. The C7 I rode in has an integrated lap timer and camera to record track events! I'm sure in the owners manual the lawyers made them disclaim that somehow, but sure as stink it was in there and worked well.

dkmw and stratofortress like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.