2020 Corvette - What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dkmw, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like the front and rear 3/4 views but the straight-on side view is very clumsily Ferrari-like .

That they show a red one is no accident.

Give the Vette one thing though - bang for the buck-wise they have always been top of the heap, but I agree about Ferrari shoppers not really swinging by the Chevy store for a look-see.

I drove a bunch of those during that period. Dad of a girl I was dating was #2 man at Chevy . He’d bring a different one home every night. The fact that that iteration of Corvette was the first I ever drove is very sad .

Interiors were worse than your average mini van. Every panel made noise rubbing against every other panel. Crazy brute power but all the rest ? Horrible.

dkmw likes this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

It should also come with an "old guy" hat.

[​IMG]

Deathray, dkmw and Chunkocaster like this.
  3. sixstringeek

sixstringeek NEW MEMBER!

As an Owner for 10 years of another GM risk 2006 Pontiac Solstice conv, having almost no Trunk space really limited the cars usefullness, it really is like that Abalone encrusted Gold Hardwared super shiny Martin that you never play, but it sure looks nice. Mine has 23k miles...not from me saving it, but because I had to put my fish on the floorboard in the 2 gallon cooler, or 1 backpack with stuff in the trunk. It was made for Touring but you can only bring a blanket and 1 picnic basket. 2 seaters with no trunk space are for people who own a truck or SUV (I have a GMC Terrain for the real world) and don't mind the occassional drive and just cruise for an hour then head back.

Also, take note, Pontiac and that car are both out of business, so I do love that I have something people can't buy new anymore, so there is that...

Save yourself and learn from us knuckleheads...rent one for a weekend. Buy another guitar or amp it will improve your sanity.

Deathray and dkmw like this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'll wait to see what Supercar Blondie has to say about it before forming a solid opinion.

5. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Not impressed. I liked the long-body 'Vettes a lot more.

Then again, I'm more of a Mustang guy - but they've kinda engineered those back to ugliness since going back to their design roots in 2005. My wife's got an '05, and as much as I tell her we can afford to get a new one, she absolutely hates the new Mustangs. They thinks they look like Toyotas.

- D

dkmw likes this.
  6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

My neighbor is on his third 'Vette, a C7. He is a card carrying member of the local Corvette club. He is convinced that older Vette owners will not buy this version.
    However my understanding is that GM is trying to cultivate younger, upscale folks into the market because their fan base is getting much older.
    I thought the C7 was the best looking Corvette in decades.
    Personally I like the new, mid engine model. I think it's sleek and slick. I'm not that crazy about the rear end as it looks a little Camaro-ish to me but overall I think it's a fine looking sports car.
    People don't buy Corvettes for trunk space. Most of the corvette owners I have met have the Vette as a second car that they take out on nice days or the weekend. My neighbor is that way and he says most of the local club is comprised of folks who have another vehicle.
    The current enthusiasts will warm up to this model. It's an obsession. The 63 Stingray was a dramatic departure from the classic Corvette.
    Look at the older Corvettes and they are a stylistic anachronism.
    Me? I'm looking for a vintage Yugo, the "cutting edge of Serbo-Croatian technology" as Joe Friday opined.

7. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Buy a fuel efficient electric car and donate the rest to charity! Folks will be way more impressed with your globally forward thinking purchase and generosity than seeing you drive an antiquated, impractical sports car. And maybe buy personalized license plates that say "couldagotavette".

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  8. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Ooh! A Camaro and an NSX had an illegitimate love child, and it has been taking steroids! You nailed it!

9. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

But where are you gonna stow your gear, Bill? Not a whole lot of storage room in that thing. :)

- D

brookdalebill likes this.
  10. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Both the Corvette & a 4x4 on a giant lift kit is the universal sign of compensating for something else. Nobody looks at a vette owner and says "oh, that guy is cool"...

JL_LI and dkmw like this.
  11. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

I’m firmly meh

dkmw likes this.
  12. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

I prefer this one:

kris ford likes this.
  13. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Porsche Boxster/Cayman is pretty unpopular. Yup.

CharlieO, Driver3, StrangerNY and 2 others like this.
  14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

This is a serious, not a snide reply. My wife and I drive German automobiles and have for years. This iteration of Corvette is unlikely to get us or others we know who've been driving German cars to change. It might be worth a test drive but that's all. The look or aesthetic is a personal matter for everyone. I think this Corvette looks like what Lexus would put out as a Corvette copy.

Some comments on design... We've had a Porsche. The front trunk is sized to exactly fit two airline roll-aboards. That's good design. No one is going to try to carry a half stack in it, but it's perfect for a weekend getaway. And there's enough room behind the seats to toss an acoustic in a case. We now have an SLK. There's plenty of room in the trunk even with the top folded down. The cabin is so well designed that it's top down weather down to 40 degrees F. Roll the windows up and with the heater and neck warmer, you're as comfortable as with the top up. I don't see design for human use in the Corvette. 755HP? The SLK is quick enough. My BMW is scary fast. Does a car that's terrifyingly fast make sense in traffic on Long Island? This Corvette seems aimed at someone who wants to step up from a Camaro. It won't attract many other buyers and that means a lot of money was put into design that can never be earned back. When we had a Porsche, my son said it's a shame that such cars are so expensive that only people too old to appreciate them can afford them. I don't think GM came close to targeting the older folks with money demographic with this one.

15. Flat6Driver

Here's a data point for what you're paying for my opinion. I'm a member of the Porsche club and I drive a lot on track in my particular expense bracket. (low). The C7's started showing up a few years ago and they were "space age" and all angular and different. A few of our members have bought them so we see them regularly and the drive the snot out of the them. I took a ride with a guy in a 2018/9 with 2300 miles on it last weekend. He'd only upgrades the brakes. We did 1:18's around Summit Point. That competes *easily* with a Porsche GT-3 costing $50-100K more. It was an amazing ride, 150 MPH no problem.

If I have more money and more space in my garage, I'd add one to my fleet.

16. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

It’s looking more and more like a Hot Wheels. Chevy is messing with it too much, particularly the body design. It’s beginning to look like other sports cars, and it’s losing its identity.

dkmw likes this.
  17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

^^^^yep flat6driver.

The king of the “bang for the buck” segment .

I think Chevy is looking at who will be the buyer in the next 5-10 yrs. And that driver has no visual reference point that includes a long hood and an engine underneath it.

And I guarantee you they have an electric in the works that absolutely screams...

18. Flat6Driver

In my post above....one guy that bought one still has two (or more?) Porsches and the other has 2 Vettes and a Cayman. People with money will add to their collection. Some people want the newest thing to show off. Some just want those big HP numbers. They'll sell a lot and that's my opinion. Now maybe I could snap up a C7 for a big discount. :)

MattyK-USA and dkmw like this.
  19. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

I wanted to let this percolate for a while before I gave my opinion, but then @MattyK-USA wrote the above; about word for word what I’d say. I’ve never wanted to own a Vette, but I have always respected their racing programs. So I’ve kept up with their engineering. This car has remarkable bits packaged in way over the top whoop-de-doo how-many-scoops-and-slits-can-we-fit-on-here styling.

MattyK-USA likes this.
  20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

In about three years I plan to do just that if they have a decent electric SUV available. It's the smart thing to do.

Marc Muller and Mjark like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.