2019 Thursday morning weight loss club...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Jan 31, 2019.

1. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

I've lost 6.5 kg (from 92.8) since June 22nd by keeping my daily calorific intake below 1000 and exercising between 10 - 22 kilometres on an exercise bike most days. Keeping off the beer too. The diet/book I've been following was written by a UK doctor and it's been pretty effective for me. Once I hit my target weight of 79 kg, I'll try to maintain it at that level.
    Avoiding processed foods is a major ingredient, along with a little self-discipline. The only drawback is that my trousers keep falling down. Time to resurrect what I was wearing ten years ago. :D

DrPepper and Random1643 like this.
  2. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Congratulations, maintaining a caloric deficit is key no matter the diet and takes a lot of will power. Avoiding processed foods is good for your health.... Haha, I hear you on the falling pants, it's a good problem to have...

3. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Any updates? You might be a good candidate for Keto...

4. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Congrats Random, keep up the good work, take it easy on the foot.

Random1643 likes this.
  5. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Congrats Kieth, it's a great feeling to have clothes that keep getting larger... I hear you on the cheats, but, I have cut them out for now, but, when I hit my final goal I will have another...

keithb7 likes this.
  6. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

May 16 I wrote here last.

I’m still off pasta, bread, and high carbs. I have fallen off thr wagon a little here and there. Mainly due to large social gatherings, special occasions. General summer evets and laziness. Its hard to keep up with the meal planning and prep work. That seems to be the biggest my threat to weight loss. My wife and I are busy with life. It’s easy to let off prepping healthy foods. Currently hoovering around 218-219. I am ok with that for now. Due to low/no carbs the health related issues are still absent.

Random1643 and DrPepper like this.
  7. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Well, I was a little discouraged this morning when I weighed, I had gained 2 pounds. And, that was with a low calorie previous day. I'm coming to the conclusion that beans and rice are weight gainers for me. So, I have researched and came across Mary's mini (Mary McDougall, Dr John McDougall's wife) and will try it for 10 days.

8. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Rice is all carbs (bad carbs) and very bad for loosing weight.

Try substituting riced cauliflower for the rice. We love it. Betcha can barely tell the difference.

I now use riced cauliflower in many recipes. In my Egg Quinoa muffins, in place of the quinoa, which reduces carbs there too (even those quinoa is good carbs). I use it in place of fruit/cottage cheese in my Oatmeal Protein muffins. Wife said they were the best muffins yet. Both of these are essential parts of our eating lifestyle, 2 easy breakfast meals when meal prepped ahead of time. We make a batch of 20 each, enough for 2 each per week day. If interested I'll post up the recipe, which can be tweaked any number of ways.

RogerC, Random1643 and DrPepper like this.
  9. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I love the success stories. One funny bit here is our family Apple Watch competition and 495 days of no cheat closing the rings kept weight more stable than ever but now a sexagenarian the whole body's changing shape.

My suggestion is be careful of extreme diets and especially relative to time. I've needed the diversity. Needed the carbs, the protein, the everything to keep at a better lifestyle and to perform. Moving to a well balanced diet solved matters with bloodwork and makes life and travel easier.

Age makes some motion or sports harder but even walking and simple exercise is working. I can't really run more than 2 mi anymore without consequences but it is all manageable. It's always my best wishes to anyone succeeding with better lifestyle. Every time I walk up stairs or do a lot I think of how much harder it would be carrying 20-40 pounds more.

Good luck!

DrPepper and Random1643 like this.
  10. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

I got two packets of cauli rice from my local store (UK) because of its tempting calorie count. I won't name the brand and probably isn't the same product as yours.
    Ate one at work today for lunch and had to force it down - (says he, who was advocating eating mopane worms in another thread). My partner had the other and tells me she threw it away after one mouthful! Maybe more than sauce was needed to make ours palatable, it barely tasted of cauliflower or anything else. :eek:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  11. rcole_sooner

@esseff , It may not be for everyone.

That is pretty much the idea, it becomes invisible in the things like muffins, and has close to the texture of rice in rice like dishes, but really has very little taste.

I've never just eaten a packet of it. For a lunch or dinner it is best in a dish that would have rice or pasta, then just replace the rice or pasta with the riced cauliflower.

The sauce and other ingredients are important, we like Bertolli Alfredo sauce a lot. Maybe try getting a cauliflower bowl from Pei Wei (I know I like these) or some place, to see how one should be done.

This is the egg muffin recipe. The quinoa is great too, but we were out and I tried the riced cauliflower and we liked it even better.

[​IMG]

RogerC likes this.
  12. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

Another weight loss thought. My wife and I are both overweight but despite being married for over 40 years haven't really taken this on together in any organized way. I started my healthy lifestyle regimen on my own in Mid-May this year and then decided in mid-June, even tho I was losing weight, that an app for tracking food and exercise might help. I didn't talk to my wife about any of this at the time - lack of communication provides the foundation for a good marriage, but later in that 3rd week of June we were talking and realized that we had both started using healthy lifestyle apps; she uses NOOM and I use MyFitnessPal. So now we're weight loss buddies sharing info and strategizing on a daily basis which we both find helpful and supportive. It's also been easier lately to agree on what's our next healthy, low-calorie meal.

imwjl and DrPepper like this.
  13. rcole_sooner

These are the Oatmeal Protein muffins. I really like Muscle Milk Vanilla protein powder. I substitute all kinds of stuff for the blueberries, like pumpkin, cottage cheese, and riced cauliflower. I also add chopped walnuts, cinnamon, and baking soda. I sprinkle the tops with non-sugar sweetener, and maybe some cinnamon or sea salt. I don't think I've ever actually added the lemon zest or vanilla extract (plenty of flavor in the vanilla protein powder).

[​IMG]

14. rcole_sooner

For the riced cauliflower risotto, I use some pre-canned alfredo sauce (I like Bertolli best).

I'll simmer up some mushrooms, onions, and sweet peppers in EVOO with lots of garlic and some salt, pepper, oregano, and thyme. Then dump in 1/2 the jar or about 1 1/2 cups of the alfredo sauce. Meanwhile I'll be microwaving the riced cauliflower packet cut open so the steam can escape ... the drier the cauliflower the better. I'll dump it in the pan with other ingredients and stir it all up.

Then dump in a couple of bowls with chicken, shrimp, sausage, or whatever ya like. I like to top mine with red pepper flakes and grated parmesan.

15. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

His and hers Apple Watches have quite a following for what you describe. I have associates with other devices who do the same concept but a few who've tried different sports trackers have agreed how great the Apple Watches are.

I confess my wife and I thought we'd be the last to ever do that but they've been great. Now my watch is even my phone and it's super for my work. Fun and utility aside, the robot giving me the nudge and friendly competitions are good. Exercise has had to be part of my sticking with a better life style. It's made one beer, one or modest treats and don't sit and lots of fun be part of it.

Good luck!

Random1643 likes this.
  16. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

Just an update. Lost a few more lbs for a total of 17 since mid-May so about 1.4 lbs per week. This feels right to me, slow and steady. My wife is likewise staying on track losing a pound per week. I think one thing that's working for us is keeping healthy food in the house. If I get hungry, even snacky my only options are good for me.

DrPepper likes this.
  17. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

The scale is moving again, I'm down to 214...

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  18. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I'm surprised how many people I've discovered have been trying to lose a bit of weight this year. Friends and fellow musicians just getting on with it, not making a big deal of it, then suddenly someone notices and it feels great: I had a sudden surge of people asking me if I'd lost weight and started to wonder if my wife had put them up to it, but since she doesn't know half of them it was unlikely. :)

I just started cutting down on the amount I was eating, adding a bit of extra fruit and veg to help feel full and to help deter me from those late evening snacks that I knew weren't helping. I'm a sucker for cheese and crackers, but I could eat a whole plate and not feel satisfied somehow. I've tried to keep myself busy on an evening too as I know boredom is my enemy when it comes to late night snacking. Doing some long walks at weekends and when on holiday helped too.

I'm only 5' 6" so when I weighed myself over Christmas and found I was at 13st 5lb (187lbs) I was shocked as I've never been that heavy in my life before. I had got up to over 12st (168lbs) when I was in my early 30s, but a divorce and a conscious effort to lose weight saw me get down to around 9st 7lbs (133lbs). No danger of getting that low now I'm in my 50s, but after 6 months of trying to eat more healthy and doing more walking I've dropped to 11st 2lbs (156lbs).

I'd like to drop a little more as technically I'm still at the top end of my BMI for my height, but now I have a problem with my knee, so I'm having to cut down on the walking part of the weight loss program...

The best bit is that I've now been able to compare photos from a gig I played last year, with one I played recently and the difference is very visible. 31lbs might not seem a huge amount by some standards, but I'm not a big guy. It's so good to be able to buy something with a 'slim fit' label on it, so good luck to the OP and the others on this thread that have been trying so hard to lose some weight. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    DrPepper likes this.
  19. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

I weighed in at 213 this morning. Slow but surely is fine with me. Kudos to all that are trying whether your losing any poundage or not, it is an effort.

My BP has not been this low in eons... And, I have cut BP meds by half, soon to do so again.

My O2 is back to 97-98.

It's nice to be able to sleep flat on my back.

I had to buy a new pair of jeans... and they will have to be replaced soon.

Going next Monday to have my cholesterol checked, will report back in when I get the results.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  20. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

I just weighed in at 211 :) Much more to go... I'll get there.

The good thing is that I am learning to eat properly and healthy, so keeping the weight off will not be an issue.

I'll update this post with my cholesterol numbers this evening.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.