2019 Thursday morning weight loss club...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Jan 31, 2019.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Happy New Year. I started my weight loss journey spring of 2017 at 327 pounds, by December 2018 I was down to 237. I am now down to 231.

I am not in a race to get skinny fast, I just don't want to die fat and of result of my own actions. Also, I don't want to be a burden on my pallbearers.

I started by cutting sugar. I have tried a few fad diets (some actually work). I eventually transitioned into a whole food plant based diet. It seems to be best for my body and health.

I am in the later stages of congestive heart failure and have coronary artery disease along with a few other long winded titled conditions.

When I started my weight loss journey I was taking a lot of medication and was using oxygen. I haven't used oxygen since last summer and have cut way back on prescription medications.

My inspiration come from T Collin Campbell, John McDougall, and Caudwell Esselstyn, along with a slew of other doctors and individuals.

My next short term goal is to be below 227 by the end of February...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Good job! Do you mean 227 by end of Feb?

DrPepper likes this.
  3. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

That's awesome! I've lost 12 lbs since 1 Jan, another 17 to meet my initial goal of 175. I'll set another goal at that point but I don't want to set too big of a goal up front and ***** out.

DrPepper likes this.
  4. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Yes, thank you.

5. Danocoustic

Danocoustic Tele-Meister

Hey man, good for you! Great job, I'm truly happy for you. That took some real effort.

I too suffer from CHF, due to a bicuspid aortic valve (birth defect). Last Thursday I found out I have a thoracic aortic aneurysm that's too big to repair. Open heart surgery is being arranged in kind of a hurry-up fashion. Getting the valve and my aorta replaced with grafts. Don't mind telling you I'm pretty scared.

I'm 6'3", 248lbs. They'd like me to lose some weight before the surgery but there really isn't time to deal with that. If this aneurysm lets go...

6. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Congrats and keep up whatever you are doing.

7. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Look into a whole food plant based diet, research The China Study. Take care of yourself.

8. Danocoustic

Danocoustic Tele-Meister

Thanks.

I'm a dedicated omnivore, but my diet is healthy. Mostly organic; I grow almost all of the plant-based food myself.

9. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

are you strictly limited in your liquid intake? My wife has had a few heart problems, and the doctors gave her a pretty strict regime to follow. She is very well disciplined, and has followed this regime very carefully for several years now. But every once in a while she just says "oh I wish I could drink more!"

10. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

That's outstanding! And you're right, slow and steady is the key here. It's all about lifestyle change, not fad diets.

November 1st 2017 I weighed 214 which was the heaviest I've ever been. I'm only 5'10" with not a lot of muscle mass, so I was definitely overweight. I made the decision at that point that I was tired of being the fat 40+ year old dad and wanted to do something about it. I started running, counting calories and doing BJJ. I registered for a 1/2 marathon as well. I dropped down to 187 by the end of March 2018 and felt great.

Once my 1/2 marathon was done, I lost focus, though, and gained back about 6 lbs by the end of 2018. This month I got refocused with some definite goals and have gotten down to 183. I'm racing a friend at a 5k in April and then I have another 1/2 marathon the week after that, so I'm really trying to get faster. My weight goal for this year is to get down to 173, which I should do by the end of April. As before, I'm counting calories using MyFitnessPal. I've got it set to drop 1.5lbs/week, and it works really well for me.

A big key for me is routine, particularly with my diet. I eat the same thing for breakfast, snack and lunch every weekday when I'm at work. The weekends can get dicey, though, so I have to keep myself busy in the shop so I don't boredom or pleasure eat (which is the cause of my weight gain).

Oh, and I'm type 1 diabetic, so that complicates things immensely. I really have to be on guard for low blood sugar episodes with the reduced calories and increased training. Luckily I'm used to is since I've been diabetic for most of my life.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    elihu likes this.
  11. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

I was restricted to 64 ounces a day, since going on a plant based diet, I have been able to increase my liquid intake and reduce the amount of Furosemide I take... note, I have made these changes on my own, but, the staff at the heart failure clinic approve based on my results.

FYI, search "reversing heart failure/disease"on youtube...

12. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Good job... What I like about the plant based diet is there is no calorie counting, I eat when I am hungry and quit eating when I am full.

RogerC likes this.
  13. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

6 weeks into eating whole food plant based, the weight loss has slowed, but, I feel great. I don't miss meat/dairy/oils.

Today's lunch was a toasted hummus sandwich and cooked spinach.

14. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Gained .3 lb, So I can't eat all that I want on a whole food plant based diet (Vegan). So, i'll have to cut out the binge eating.

On another note, I have decided to adopt a Vegan lifestyle...

15. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

227, now 100 pounds lost. Next goal is 199.

elihu and Random1643 like this.
  16. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I've lost 4 lbs 3 times so far this year ... but it is the same 4 over and over.

:lol:

DrPepper likes this.
  17. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I was pretty happy with my results since Jan 1. Then I came here. Wow. Some serious weight loss here.

I was 238 lbs Jan 1. After a Christmas eating blowout. My wife and I agreed it was time to try something again. We saw limited results with exercise and what we thought was “better eating”.

We looked at Keto options and started our program there. We learned what an impact carbs have on our bodies. Over time we modified our food to our liking. Not a Keto diet. Just healthier, focusing around carb intake. Today I look at carb content on every food I buy. I have seen good results and its been easy to maintain since now its become a lifestyle change. I learned a ton about my body, based on what I was eating.

Before Jan 1 I had developed a pretty steady case of acid reflux. I was taking medication for it. For over 30 years I dealt with hypoglycemia. Sugar lows and highs. I was not diabetic but maintaining a steady blood sugar level wasn’t easy. When it got low, look out. I was on a rampage to eat anything. And fast.

Knocking off carbs meant no breads, pasta, rice, beer, potatoes, sugars, etc. The biggest impact seemed to be bread or gluten I guess. Heart burn is now 100% gone. I have not taken medication for it since before Jan 1. Blood sugar levels? Rock steady. No swings. Nice easy bowel movements. No grunting out a burger everyday. Lol. Constant throat clearing after every meal for an hour, was another symptom. Thats 95% gone too.

Today I weighed in at 216.1 lbs. Probably been 20 years since I was 216. My body feels healthy. I feel great overall. I will never go back to the old eating habits. I can’t. The price my body pays is too much.

I still cheat a little once in a while. Like a family cruise in my vintage car followed up with dairy queen Blizzard. Yesterday I had 2 beers with a friend. Its very liberating to finally address a lot of health issues I was dealing with.

Now I just gotta deal with me being so damn cheap. All my clothes are too big. But I refuse to toss ‘em until I wear them all out.

DrPepper likes this.
  18. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Still hanging in the upper 220's. I have started exercising and walking on a treadmill. next goal is to get below 200.

I am eating a whole food plant based diet and doing intermittent fasting.

19. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Checking in, now at 217. Now SOS (sugar, oil, salt) free... Not doing intermittent fasting anymore, still whole food plant based...I still have a long way to go... Using Cronometer to track calories and macros. Started lifting weights and doing yardwork. Cut BP meds by half... Went from a full strength aspirin down to low dose daily. Quit taking Amiodarone, feel stronger. Going to cardiologist later this August will report back with cholesterol numbers.

william tele, RogerC and Random1643 like this.
  20. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

Good job, DrPepper! You're staying with it.

Turning 65 in Nov 2018, retiring in Dec 2018, and hitting 200 lbs combined to eventually push me in mid-May to take charge of my diet and exercise. I likewise have a host of health issues, some chronic but some I've definitely "chosen" by not taking care of myself. My goal is to eventually get to 160 lbs. So far, I've lost 13 lbs since mid-May then using a mix of an anti-inflammatory diet - similar to a lot of "Mediterranean Diets," counting calories using MyFitnessPal, getting in an hour bike ride and 2 brisk walks most days. Over the last coupla weeks am dealing with ankle and foot issues so am a bit concerned about how Staying Off The Foot will affect my weight loss program, but so far I'm sticking with the diet and haven't gained any lbs. Losing even just the 13 lbs I feel so much better - breathing is improved, blood pressure checks are normal, etc.

RogerC and DrPepper like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.