2019 Corvette C8

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toronto Tele, Feb 14, 2018.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That could actually work (release it as a Buick), and cover two overlapping markets.

Model name would of course have to be the Opel GT.
    In '68 when the GM show car Mako Shark was interpreted into the updated C-3 Corvette, Buick introduced the Mako Shark based Opel GT, though it was built in Germany.

While I've always loved the look and tech of mid engine race cars back to the Lola and Fords of the 1960s, I also agree that the Corvette is more of a poor unsophisticated meat and potatoes man super car. Unsophisticated as in Telecaster, not a bad thing.
    It wasn't really a supercar until maybe C-5, though the C-4 suspension introduced true race car tech to the handling.

It's probably important to keep it cheap, and GM seems to be saying they will not use carbon fiber to keep cost down, so what the hell.
    If they keep the option of a V8 with double the displacement of the Ford GT 3.5L it will still be sorta American excess.
    Given that going mid engine is reaching for 60yo tech, and the Ford GT hasn't changed in basic design in 50 years, I'm not sure why the fuss.
    OK that's a lie. Some of us like old stuff.

But a new mid engine Opel GT rolling out next to the flaunted excess Corvette, maybe with 8 liters just to keep it 'murican, sounds like fun.

2. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

If GM was going to introduce the mid engine car under something other than the Chevy/Corvette brand, it would be Cadillac.

They are making about their third or fourth big push on Caddy being their performance brand. I just can’t buy it.

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

Yeah and didn't Caddy introduce the 32v Ford Coyote before Ford?
    I love the idea of a quad cam V8, but it seems the Caddy motor is not very hot roddable.
    The dumb and tough as nails LS motor isn't pretty or interesting, it just makes lots of reliable power in a light weight cheap package.
    In block cams and two valves per cylinder, wicked bummer...

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ah.

But GM signed the papers, to sever connections with what we once called "GM Europe".

I hear that a lot of projects that might have been collaborative, have been scratched. Even the current Chevy Cruze is (I am told) decontented of "Opel" DNA.

6. telemnemonics

So they don't own the Opel name any more?

I think GM signed papers with China so they could make their own Cadillacs...
    (at least is was a request, to be allowed to build complete Cadillacs in China for the Chinese market)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  7. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Considering the GT40 hasn't been produced since 1969, I'm not so sure beating it with a 2018 Corvette is all that newsworthy! :D

Ford never trademarked the "GT40" moniker, but someone else did. The modern versions of the car are Ford GTs.

8. boris bubbanov

The price would be hiked up, and the guys at Cadillac would demand the whole package be reworked to make it more like a Cadillac.

I think it is Buick's turn - I'd give it to Oldsmobile if they were still with us.

9. boris bubbanov

They don't own Opel, don't own Vauxhall, and don't have ready access to a lot of the assets over there.

I guess we can't go into heavy detail here, but some Chinese interests are always stakeholders in any manufacturing enterprise over there. And that applies to BMW, VW, Audi, Mercedes, Buick and everyone other foreign brand whose cars are being manufactured over there. The business majors and lawyers at GM realized that they could sell enough additional Cadillacs in China to offset disgruntled American customers who would be offended that folks in other countries would have access to the same cars they could have. I don't imagine GM reliquished control over Cadillac sales and manufacture anymore than any other outside brand has.

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't have any pictures, but I saw a Corvette parked in town that was like a 50th Anniversary model that looked like a '54 made in the 21st Century. It had a limited edition plaque on it, so it was a factory made car. I've never seen pictures or saw another, but it was the coolest modern 'Vette I've ever seen.

As for mid engine, coupe, call it a "Corvair SS." :cool:

william tele likes this.
  11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

It'll will always be a GT40 to me.:D

12. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

sebring legends 10 131.JPG

I've seen this car at a few events here in Florida (this is at Sebring about five years ago). I don't know the exact story, but it appears to be a barely streetable interpretation of a mid engine Vette.

13. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

"Interpretation"...you can say that again!:lol:

14. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I can't tell if you're being serious with this comment. However ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

william tele and Sconnie like this.
  15. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

Wally said,

The last Corvette I would fit in was built in the '70's. ....here ya go....old school cool.

The car in your picture is, I believe, a 1963. split-window Stingray, Wally.

peace, RM

16. strat54

strat54 Tele-Meister

I really like the looks of the front and bumpers on the old Vettes. Here is my last Vette illustration that I did. I guess I need to incorporate the modern Vette look into one of the headless guitar projects that I am currently working on. The mid-engine Vette design will probably be a success.:) ga vette girl wm.jpg

william tele likes this.
  17. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

It was tongue in cheek ;) The Carrera GT is one of my favorite cars ever (as if I've driven one... haha). I kind of stand by my comment when it comes to lambos though, but that's just because I've never been a fan. I can't wait to hear what the Top Gear (grand tour??..) guys have to say about the new Chevy!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.