2019 Corvette C8

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toronto Tele, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’ve never owned a Corvette but have loved them since before I could drive. The serious owners I know are near universal in their love of the brand, and their cars, whatever year. Don’t know why I never bought one, but likely because I’m just too cheap.

I subscribe to Car & Driver, have for about forever, and it seems the “new mid-engined Corvette!!” is rumored every single time GM is developing the next gen. I hope they keep it front engine & pushrod V8.

william tele likes this.
  2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Still in the testing phase guys, doesn't mean it will be a production car. Not everyone will sell their front engine Vette if this makes it to production, some will always want a front engine/rear wheel drive sports car.

Saw a story last month about the front engine Vette beating out the Ford GT40 on the track. Imagine what the mid-engine Vette could do.

3. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

When I sell my Indian, I've been thinking about buying an old car, and this popped up in Sioux Falls, and at 15G's, fits my budget for such things...
    1975-Chevrolet-Corvette-American Classics--Car-100858009-c00c226858c2177a36eb639732789074.jpg
    I've always liked the old Stingray body. It's what you describe.... except for the 'big' V-8 part, it has it's original mid-70's, castrated 350 with all of 200hp. Cool looking, but must move like molasses, but even so, it would be a hoot to tool around the Black Hills in it.

I like it anyway though, and would likely buy it if the bike would sell in time, but that's probably not going to happen.

RodeoTex and MickM like this.
  4. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

The should keep the Corvette a traditional Corvette and call this one the Supernova if they are trying to make it look and perform like a super car.

Or perhaps keep the Corvette name and call the new one a Chevette. ;):)

62 horsepower. :rolleyes:

It sounds like Saul Goodman selling a used car.

5. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

We bought a '76 Chevette brand new, I actually liked that little tin can car.

6. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

How is it a mid-engine car when the engine is in the rear? It's the same as saying Ohio is a mid-western state. Damn, there goes another night's sleep.

7. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Engine is ahead of rear wheels, hence mid. Rear is when engine hangs out over or behind rear wheels - think 911 (up to latest iteration) or VW bug.

TheGoodTexan and Stubee like this.
  8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Disappointed. I thought this thread was about a new Gretsch Corvette model :(

9. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

I think you may have found another reason for GM to be pushed into mid engine layout. The Ford GT has stolen the crown as America’s cutting edge supercar.

BTW, I follow the race series where the C7 and Ford GT do battle. Here in the US, that’s IMSA GT Le Mans class.
    IMSA does a lot of performance equalization so it’s no guarantee that a mid engine Vette would be a faster race car.

I was at the 24 Hours of Daytona a few weeks ago. Ford GTs ran away with the class. And I say that with no pleasure, I’m a BMW guy. Other cars in GTLM are BMW M8, Ferrari 488, Porsche 911, and of course the Corvette.

Also got to see both race and street versions of the new Acura NSX. Just like it’s predecessor, it’s a “bargain” when considered against other supercars. I put bargain in quotes because $156,000 is more than I’ll ever spend on a car.

Zepfan likes this.
  10. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

When I was a kid in the '70s, I liked Corvettes and Camaros. By the time I was a teenager and able to drive, I was blissfully unconcerned with sporty cars and performance.

As I've gotten older, I've slowly gotten into cars again. In late 2016, I bought a Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, which looks way more like a '60s Camaro than any Camaro in nearly half a century. The Corvettes and Camaros no longer do it for me, stylistically, and I don't think I could've ever dealt with the low riding cabin in the former.

Lately, I've been obsessively watching car videos on YouTube, mostly about vintage Mopar vehicles I didn't give a damn about when I was a kid.

The newer Corvettes, Camaros and Mustangs look too generic for my taste.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Rowdyman and william tele like this.
  11. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Actually I drive either a Buick LaCrosse or a Chevrolet Avalanche. So yes, a Corvette is small and claustrophobic.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hear you, but I see so many Corvettes, most especially these new C7s, on the road and I just don't see NSXs or Ford GTs. Yeah, I know this is Winter but I still don't see them. I'm not sure today's Corvette buyer wants a mid engine car - just that much harder to climb in and out of. These are often guys who have already had all their bad joints replaced, but still.

What we did see on I-10 Eastbound and again on US 60 Eastbound was about 20-25 Porsches doing an illegal street rally, with a Panamera trying to tag along. Those guys came up on me so fast - I was going 90 mph and I had to hustle to get past someone and out of the way. We saw them again as a policeman had pulled over one of them and the rest were cooling out a couple miles east of and a couple miles west of where the one black and yellow GT3 had been intercepted. Quartzsite and again near Salome (AZ).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  13. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

I hope the Porsche guys were doing that somewhat responsibly - going fast in a capable vehicle is fun but ya gotta pick your spots. They should probably go rent track time....

Gotcha on the numbers game for Vettes vs NSX and Ford GT. But the NSX is brand new, and the GT was never intended to be built in large amounts by Ford. It’s a halo car, and a showcase for their eco-boost engine program.

The Vette has unique spot right now as supercar capable, affordable, and available in quantity. Who knows, a new version could hold that spot and bring mid engine attributes to the masses.

william tele likes this.
  14. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

The General has been playing and teasing mid engine ‘Vetts since the early 70s before the gas crunch. There was a hot rodder that built one useing a Toronado transaxle. He moved the cab forward and did a credible job of it to the point of GM looking at it. When it’s available and on a show room I might get excited. I’m 6’4” with very long legs. My Subie GT is at about my limit. I prefer my Chevy Truck 4x4.

15. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

I almost fell out of my chair laughing after hearing about Chevy making a mid-engine car :lol:

How you say.. "way outta your league"?.. For those complaining about its looks, just remember that all mid-engine cars look the same ;)

16. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

It’s quite funny that the cheap Chevette actually had much less aerodynamic drag than the 70’s Corvettes. The Corvette body design of that era was lots of form, with little function.

17. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Things have changed a lot - I think they have spent the money and done the engineering work to compete on the world stage. Again, I’m a 40 year German-car-only guy, so I don’t say that as a Chevy fanboy.

18. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The original "Stingray" was a dramatic departure from earlier Corvettes which were extremely cool and timeless. It harkens back to my youth when we put together model cars and paint them. Those days are gone.
    The C7 is the best looking Corvette IMO since the glory days of the late 50s and early 60s including the Stingray.
    My neighbor gets the newest design every 5 years or so (whenever they change them). When I met him he had a C5, then a C6 and now a C7.
    All sports cars have lost their appeal to me. I can't get that low to get in them. I tell my neighbor, who is 65, the C8 will be his last and he'll have to EMS on standby to extract him from it at some point.
    I am sure he will get a C8 but I can already tell he is not that much a fan of a mid-engine design.

19. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

I believe it, I'm just messing around. My experience with Chevy has just been riding in friend's cars over the years, late 90s and 2000s suburbans, traliblazers, malibu, and the like. So basically the worst and ugliest cars ever built. Those are far removed from the awesome lineage that is the Corvette but I just couldn't help myself from cracking that dumb joke.

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Traffic wasn't too bad, but yeah, those Porsche boys were pushing pretty hard.

But they were showing really good car control and lane discipline and doing their best not to ruffle the feathers of the Reverse Beverly Hillbillies who had their possessions stacked tall on a ragged old Eastbound truck.

Our Interstate highways, with their grades and limited numbers of lanes, and seriously heavily laden big rigs, already mean adjacent lane speed differentials of well in excess of 60 miles per hour. So, what difference does it really make if the speed differential is not 60 but instead 85 mph? I don't know. I think if the trucks are going to accept more weight, and can't keep pace better, we need at least to add a 3rd lane to a major route when there's grades like that.

At least these Porsches have nice brakes. My girlfriend wondered aloud if we should tag along in the Saab 9-5, with its Z rated tires and so on. I said "Are you crazy, they have such great brakes, and can stop so quickly - no way I have enough stopping power to be tailing those guys!"

I'd rather be near a capable car with a capable driver - and they did have that.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.