2019 Corvette C8

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toronto Tele, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Toronto Tele

Toronto Tele Tele-Meister

strat54 likes this.
  2. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I think when Chevy finally makes a mid engine Vette a lot of front engine Corvettes will be for sale.

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oh great...it looks like a Honda...

jimash, Jakedog and Kreepy like this.
  4. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

Im not a Corvette buyer and don't know if I ever will be, but I'm a little disheartened to see a mid engine corvette. I'm glad Chevy is chasing the super car moniker, but I liked how brash and old school the Corvette portrayed itself as. But I'm sure corvette owners and shoppers might have different opinions. I liked my buddies c6 zr1 though.

xafinity and Toronto Tele like this.
  5. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, and no offense to the OP, but I think that SUCKS.

william tele and xafinity like this.
  6. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Yep... Acura NSX.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jimash, Jakedog and william tele like this.
  7. Toronto Tele

I wouldn't worry too much about the test shots. These mules are intentionally misproportioned and camouflaged so as not to give the final look away too soon. Here's a possible look for the final car.
    20180214_222513.jpg

John Backlund likes this.
  8. Toronto Tele

I agree wholeheartedly. It's beyond my means but it is a great car nonetheless. My brother has a '13 Grand Sport which I've driven. Drove it from Irvine to San Diego. Fantastic car. I can only assume this new car will be even better which is amazing. Myself.... I'm a Mustang guy. And I'm proud of that! :)

Slip Kid likes this.
  9. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

For me the appeal of the Corvette was it's refreshing lack of refinement and simplicity vs "supercar" offerings

Big engine up front, manual transmission in the middle, rear wheel drive at the back.

All in a flimsy plastic body.

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

telemnemonics and Jakedog like this.
  11. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

As a past Corvette owner I have to say that I have never seen one I didn't like. Somehow Chevy has always made sure that there is no question what you are looking at-it's a Vette! My only hope is the C8 is so popular that it devalues C5s and C6s so I can get a good deal on my next one!

telemnemonics, Zaxxon and xafinity like this.
  12. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I hate that Chevy is messing with the Vette. If they want to make a super car, that's great, but call it something else.

Maybe they can name their new super car after one of their older cars. Kind of the reverse of this...

90's Chevy Nova
    [​IMG]

Real Chevy Nova
    [​IMG]

Maybe they can do something like this for the new Super Car.

Call it the Citation (get it, that is what anyone that owns one in the US will be getting frequently)
    Original Citation

[​IMG]

New Citation
    [​IMG]

william tele likes this.
  13. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I'm not a fan of the idea either. They're stuck between trying to keep it competitive with more expensive cars that use that mid-engine layout and also trying to keep it affordable and the flagship, and they need to be true to the cars heritage.

The thing is the Corvette has been around longer than almost any other sports car, and it's always been in production. That's huge. And it's always been front engine, rear wheel drive w/V-8 engine. I don't really think they should be tinkering with that. They should be introducing another sports car that is mid-engine, but then they risk making the corvette no longer the flagship. They can't/won't/shouldn't cancel the corvette, but building 2 cars at this level might not be in their business plan.

Tough place to be.

It is too bad all these cars are just so ridiculous. I had a V8 Mustang years ago. I'd love to have a muscle/sports car again and would be heavily biased towards American cars. Even the Mustang has gotten ridiculous. Mine was a 1999, they're almost 2X as expensive now. Realistically I'd be more likely to end up with a Japanese car since they've gotten the message about keeping the cars light and keeping prices in check.

Zaxxon and william tele like this.
  14. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

That was my point. Once you go mid-engine in the supercar category, so many of the cars begin to take on the same lines and stance.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have a radical suggestion:

GM should keep on honing on the C7 and keep it in production for at least 6 more years.

Meanwhile, if this Mid engine vehicle can be made production ready, offer it to the public as a

BUICK.

And let the two products be offered to the public, side by side. See which one the market approves of, which could be both.

GM always does this - they take perfectly good products, once they're just right and then they stop production. This never fails. Never fails. The half baked ones, those soldier on.

I dunno. At least Ford, every time they planned to convert the Mustang into some import chaser, backed down in the end.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  16. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Citation...isn't that what the Cops give you for speeding? Or, was it a personalized invitation to the next Policeman's Ball?

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The current Corvette is the best bang for your buck in its segment by 10's of thousands of dollars.

That segment includes many mid-engines so I'm guessing GM is gonna goose the price up a little/lotta bit too ?

New one looks like an NSX ? Maybe, but I'd take it over any 80's model.

My nostalgic nature doesn't leave me blind and dumb (brain not speech).

william tele likes this.
  18. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I have thought about buying a Corvette more than once. When I get in one I feel claustrophobic. I also think it needs to be smaller than it's current size. that is probably problematic with a 6 litre V8 powering it. Probably not something I will ever pull the trigger on.

I had a 2014 Mustang GT as my daily driver. Turns out my older bones do not enjoy climbing out of a low slung car with a big door every time I go to work or leave the house. I kept it about a year which is the shortest I have ever owned any car.

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Claustrophobic in a Vette?

I feel like a size 8 foot in a size 13 shoe, in one. There's too much space, for me. But this is what many Corvette buyers like when they select a Corvette over the Euro and Japanese alternatives.

I think the main thing that would differentiate this C8 project from the mid engine competition is, the passenger cell will be HUGE for the kind of American or Canadian guy who craves that extra space.

Maybe what you felt is that sensation we get when we go from driving an extended cab pickup, to the "old" style where you're hitting the back of your head on the back window glass. No, I don't like that either - not much headroom behind the Vette drivers seat.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The last Corvette I would fit in was built in the '70's. ....here ya go....old school cool.
    upload_2018-2-15_10-48-2.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.