Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by raf, Dec 28, 2018.

1. raf

raf Tele-Afflicted

...was an interesting year for me. Divorce, a few health scares, some time just mentally drifting & lost...the crazy thing is I have gotten to know me and grown so much in the last 12 months.

What experiences impacted you in 2018?

fendertx, imwjl, JeffBlue and 4 others like this.
  2. John How

John How Tele-Meister

Most recently, my dog died of canine kidney disease...I found out I have a bone marrow issue that could turn into cancer though it hasn’t yet...my daughter is pregnant with my 7th grandchild...she could be born on my birthday as the due date is the day before my bd...we just got a new dog...I made a new guitar and a new amplifier...started a new band and am learning new tunes...

3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

At 65 years of age, I took my first vacation in Europe. It's crazy how one week in a country where a lot of buildings are older than the country of your birth can alter your perception.

It's a big world, and now I'm hooked. I want to see more of it.

- D

4. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

I spent much of this year and half of last feeling every day at work would be my last, but seemed to have found a stable billet in the final quarter of 2018. Also, our youngest - a 27 yo daughter - finished her MOT degree and ended up moving back in while she begins her career and saves up enough to get out on her own (which around the Bay Area, can be a lot).

It’s been a pretty stressful year!

fendertx, JeffBlue and Toto'sDad like this.
  5. Colors

Colors Tele-Holic

2018 was exhausting. Too personal to share on the internet. Not all bad but all exhausting. Hoping for a little reprieve in 2019.

6. demon

demon Tele-Meister

2018 has been an interesting year for sure. Mass layoffs at my company reduced my team to just me, and perhaps I'll get the boot in the new year. My boyfriend was close to getting thrown out of the country due to a government paperwork screwup. Attempted house purchases fell through after months and thousands spent so back renting again. Physical health problems and mental health is worse; depression has infected my soul again. Boring legal stuff to wade through.

I have had no energy or time to play guitar all year. On the plus side I have gone the entire year without spending a single $ on guitar stuff, not even a string or a plectrum.

Reading that back it sounds a lot more negative than I expected. I guess this means 2019 is going to be a good one! - at least in relative terms.

JeffBlue likes this.
  7. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My retirement is an obvious 2018 centerpiece--I'm still adjusting to it--but I have enough people and pets in the house to remind me that not everything's all about me.

fendertx, JeffBlue, Toto'sDad and 2 others like this.
  8. raf

raf Tele-Afflicted

Here’s to a great 2019! Wishing you all the best - filled with the people, places, experiences, & things (teles of course) you love most!

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Worst thing that happened to me on pretty much any given day was checking the news, so I guess personally it was a pretty good year!

Crashbelt, fendertx, JeffBlue and 3 others like this.
  10. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Everything good was good, and everything bad was good - it's all in how I look at it. Most days it is just putting one foot in front of the other, but I'm grateful for my friends, my family and another day on the proper side of the dirt.

11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

2018 kind of sucked for me

One Summer month of ( all over) joint virus pain, right during a run of my playng guitar for a stage performance.

Followed immediately by a head on car crash ( not my fault, lost a month of Uber driving- still waiting for comp. - lost a great Toyota Camry but it saved my life.)
    My band lost a steady gig, as the joint closed.
    $$ problems I'm not going to get into here...related, I turned 60 and am really worried about future
    Plus, the weight our family feels from all the social/ political malaise and dysfunction in the US and the world.

Its been a year of kind of non-stop anxiety for me.

Still have had bright moments, with friends/family and making good ( mostly acoustic/ bluegrass, this year...) music- so this helps.

Crashbelt and JeffBlue like this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

C'mon, man.....what's too personal to share on the internet? Let's see those colonoscopy pictures and the transcripts from your psychiatrist...... you've got all that posted on Facebook anyway, haven't you?
    Actually, I'm hoping you get that reprieve in 2019.....I hope we ALL get a reprieve in 2019. ;)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  13. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

I noticed more gray hairs. A few more lines.
    Thinking of trying the HGH Supplements that are available.

Did as much work in my home as my finances would allow. Realized that I'm not able to dump money into remodeling. Can barely keep the required up keep going. Not sure what to do.
    I own dogs and while they are still alive I need a house. Guess that the upside of owning a home is that I can play guitar loudly. Oh Well....

Work has been a rollercoaster. New ownership. New management style. Lots of New Age B.S. to deal with. Realized that I can't retire. Unless I want to be one of those live in my car people. Oh Well...

Health has stabilized. Thats a bright spot.

One day at a time.
    Sometimes I figure what the hell...Better to burn out, then to fade away.
    However, I just get up and do it all over again.
    Walk the line. :cool:

Lost my beloved Pennygyrl last April. Still reeling from that one. Had a wonderful dream about her on Christmas Eve. I knew it was a dream, and
    felt she did also. We had some good moments. Woke up and realized that I was crying in my sleep.
    Wish humans could Love unconditionally like animals do. Oh Well...

Been playing everyday. Feel that I am in my prime in regard to allowing the music to flow thru me. Need to figure out what to do with all of my music.

Thinned the herd some more. Sold stuff and continue to build a smaller stash of things I want.

2019 .... "Lets Dance"

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    StrangerNY, JeffBlue, LocoTex and 5 others like this.
  14. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

The PAST (2018) is merely prolog to the FUTURE (2019)...history is cyclic.

15. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've had a few years in my life that weren't too great but 2018 was one of the worst ever.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I really want to say good riddance to 2018. I had another trip to Ukraine planned to visit family, and this time it would be just my son and I, but I had to cancel due to my cancer diagnosis. That set the tone for spring and summer (radiation and chemotherapy ans recovery), which really sucked, but my family and friends helped me get through it. And when I say family, I'm including all of my musician friends that I work with. They really are a great bunch of people. The upside to all my treatments and recovery time is that I play guitar about 2-4 hours a day now, and feel more energized about playing. I have just had my 6 month checkup with my docs, and another CT Scan, and all is good on that front. My recovery is extremely slow, but progress is noticeable, and I'm feeling better even though I developed neuropathy. But I started taking some meds, and that is helping, and I hope I won't need them forever.

So although this year was pretty bad, I'm still here and I can just chalk it up to one more of life's experiences and hope that 2019 will be a year of more music, more recovery, and the start of some plans for future travels.

JeffBlue, stevemc and Nickadermis like this.
  17. Colors

Colors Tele-Holic

I've been free of Facebook for 3 glorious years. And that was when I quit telling strangers about the inside of my bowels.

18. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Holic

There were ups and downs. Just like 2017.
    On the plus side:
    Son gets his driver's license. Free time opens up for me.
    Installed new cabinets in the kitchen. In fact, everything but the walls and appliances is new.
    Bought some tools and built an amp. Buying the speaker today.
    Made and installed new treads and caps under our two railings.
    Got a raise at work.
    There's more, but I can tell you're bored.
    On the negative side:
    Vikings, Wild, Twins, Timberwolves and the bill from the yard clean-up guys. Never again.

JeffBlue and Nickadermis like this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Actually, I welcome all of you "guys and gals" posting your trials and tribulations. I hope it's not schadenfreude, but your problems make me so much more grateful for my own good fortunes. My life's not perfect by any means, but compared to many of the health and financial issues y'all face, not to mention relationship problems,(I went through all that thirty-eight years ago...never again) I realize just how blessed I am. My needs and expectations aren't high, so it doesn't take a lot to make me contented. BEST WISHES to you all for the coming New Year.....and even tomorrow for those who need it.

20. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

It’s been 4 months I think since my last chemo/radiation treatments and the neuropathy is almost gone. I made myself walk and play guitar as much as I could stand and I really think it helped get me through it. I hope yours passes quickly now .

I wish you a wonderful 2019 and congratulations on that clean 6month checkup ! That’s awesome !

And for everyone here who didn’t have a good 2018, I’m wishing you all the best in 2019

FenderGyrl, JeffBlue, Gene O. and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.