2018 LIMITED EDITION ’51 HS TELE RELIC- Anyone seen one?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by gio19, Sep 5, 2018.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I never cared for relic'd guitars in theory.

Then I picked one up in the shop. Like @gio19, I noticed the specs but not the relic.

It is a Custom Shop. Another thing I was predisposed NOT to like.

But it felt like a nice, worn-in guitar without being worn out. Then I noticed the relic'ing.

Now I can see the attraction. For me it's not cosmetic but feel. Though I have no objection of someone likes the worn in look. What's it to me?

KelvinS1965 and gio19 like this.
  2. radchad074

radchad074 TDPRI Member

In the same boat, I actually own a similar guitar that was posted. Fender Custom Shop NAMM Show Limited Edition 52' Relic with a neck Humbucker and a reverse control plate, I love it. Amazing, feels great and plays awesome. I have grown to really like the relic look on my guitar but the feel and play was what sold me.

3. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Really? I mean, REALLY? It’s a finish choice just like color. I’m actually shocked that after this has been talked to death on numerous forums that someone’s so dense they don’t get why someone would want a relic finish.

I can understand someone not liking a relic finish, but to not grasp the concept of why someone else might want such a finish... it’s just, ugh...

golfnut and coldengray like this.
  4. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

There’s no way that one SHOULD relic their guitar. Get the hell over yourself...

coldengray likes this.
  5. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

The guys that say you should relic it the old fashion way are most likely the same guys that don't gig or if they do handle it like a baby, polish it every day and keep it in its case when not in use. An those poly finishes will still look now when there are only cockroaches left on the planet.

BrandonIke likes this.
  6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I was the same too. I generally prefer things to look new and well cared for. However, having found that I've struggled to bond with a couple of guitars I've bought in recent years, I've come to realise that I like the played in feel.

I have a 36 year old Strat (just a JV Squire, but I love it) and the neck is so comfortable and broken in. My Classic 50s Tele can feel a bit sticky and 'new', but the second one I bought to mod (that is in my avatar) I've done a bit of wearing in on the neck with 3M pads. I've dulled down the poly finish and the metalwork a bit too, but not so far as to remove any paint off it, but it still feels more broken in to me. It's nothing that I couldn't polish back up if I really wanted to either.

I also don't feel precious about letting my friends play it and often take it to open mic evenings and let them play it.

I now find myself looking at used guitars in preference to fresh new ones as like an earlier poster I can't see that I will have time to naturally relic/wear another guitar in like my Strat.

7. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

This is what I thought of when I saw “51 HS Tele”

[​IMG]

8. elementfrvr

elementfrvr TDPRI Member

@darren7 Haha close, the price is missing a couple of zeroes though

9. Roli Bora

Roli Bora TDPRI Member

thats a Keith Richards Micawber model look I think,don’t you?

10. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

Anyway, as to the guitar in the OP it is gorgeous :) Another out of my reach financially but I do like seeing them made. Maybe a relative will win the lottery and buy me one!

11. tommyhk

tommyhk TDPRI Member

I just bought this guitar. I was testing different Tele's at a shop I usually go, and from the moment I played the first simple note everything changed. My personal criteria to identify a "special instrument" is, first of all, that I get lost in it... that I just play and play and then suddenly wake up after 20 minutes when a salesmen asks me "do you need any information?". Secondly, usually in these special guitars, everything sounds good: simple notes, any 3 note chord, any progression, everything sounds better and resonates.

I still don't have it with me, but if anyone has any questions any time, and is thinking about buying this guitar, feel free to ask and I'll answer.

The SD neck pickup together with the rest of this guitar is awesome, by the way.

12. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

Want!

tommyhk and tce63 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.