2018 American Original 50s 4-way reversed controls

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by BlackbirdBeatle, Jan 20, 2020.

1. BlackbirdBeatle

BlackbirdBeatle TDPRI Member

Long time Tele owner and new to the forum. There are three Teles that I love; The Baja, The FSR with reversed controls and the new American Original, so I've decided to recreate them in one guitar. I recently modded my 2018 American Original with 4-way switching and reversed controls. Everything works great and I love it but the control plate does not line up properly and is flexing and causing a gap. I do not want to modify the screw hole placement so my question is there a control plate that is specifically sized for reversed controls such as the Baja Tele? Also, I wonder if the control plate of the Baja Tele would be a perfect fit? It's driving me nuts.

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I guess I don't know why you wouldn't/couldn't egg out each screw hole (in the plate) JUST a smidgen to the outside.............would probably get you there.

AFAIK, plates (Fender anyway) would be all the same.

3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Does that second pic show the 'flexing' that is driving you nuts? It doesn't seem like much to me but if it buggs you...you've already modded the guitar, so why not just reset the screw hole just a little bit if that's what's causing the perplexing flexing?

BlackbirdBeatle likes this.
  4. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

>perplexing flexing?<

Say that 10 times with a mouth full of peanut butter :p

2HBStrat likes this.
  5. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Does the plate sit flat with the screw holes aligned with out the pots and switch attached? If so, perhaps there is a clearance problem with either the switch or pots. I seem to recall that some bodies had to have the control cavity routed to accommodate the reversed controls.

Dunedin2019 and NicDo like this.
  6. NicDo

NicDo TDPRI Member

I had the same problem when I tried to reverse my MIM. There isnt quite enough room for the switch/pots to fit that way. On my MIM, the cavity is not the same depth all the way across. Has a little shelf in the middle. Like yours, my plate flexed out, and it's not because of the screw holes. Also makes it easy to short out if everything isnt covered in electrical tape as the pot(s) and/or edge of the switch will now press tight against the bottom. I just went back to normal since I didn't feel like routing it.

7. BlackbirdBeatle

BlackbirdBeatle TDPRI Member

I managed to get it somewhat lay flatter.Fender should route that area just a tad bit more for this reason. For me it is absolutely more intuitive to have the controls reversed as I spend more time on the volume pot than anything. I am curious to know if that FSR MIM Tele has a larger control route cavity or if it's a special control plate that moves the volume control back slightly. I would convert it to an Esquire but I love the Neck and Bridge in series to fatten it up.

[​IMG]

2HBStrat likes this.
  8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

I reversed the control plate on my mid-90's Nashville Tele and it seemed to work just fine...
    Yeah, same here...glad you figured it out. I actually plan to look for a control plate that has the switch in the middle, so it will be volume, switch, then tone, since I use the tone control the least...

BlackbirdBeatle likes this.
  9. NicDo

NicDo TDPRI Member

Totally get why you want it that way, much better placement of each control, for me.

10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The four-way switch is also bulkier than the three way.

11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

It may be a little bulkier, but not much...I have a super switch in my Nashville Tele and it fits just fine...

12. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

That's true - but Fender makes the guitar in a certain way with certain equipment. I sympathize because I've come up against this fitting the four-way to vintage type guitars from Fender and others and had to carefully undercut the channel. If you mod the guitar by flipping the control plate or fitting nonstandard stuff it's not up to Fender to accommodate you.

13. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Just cocktail stick hole in the body farthest away from the pickgaurd, put the plate in position, flat, and reinsert the screw. UNLESS.the bowing is caused by something not seating fully into the routed hole. That dies seem more likely from my experience. Those plates are generally exactly the same spec. across the range so far as I know.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.