2018 52 AVRI Telecaster input jack

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by tritonwolf, Nov 23, 2019.

1. tritonwolf

tritonwolf TDPRI Member

Hi there, the input jack of my newly bought 52 American Vintage Telecaster came off and as I tried to fix it, I noticed that it differed from the normal vintage style input jack. It lacks the normal retainer clip that clamps into the wood and seems to be held just by the 1/2 inch nut at the end. Still if I fix the nut the whole input jack comes off. The luthier has never seen this kind of input jack on a vintage style Telly. He advised me to claim my warrantry and send it back to the store for a repair.
    It doesn´t seem to work to simply change the input jack for a classic vintage style one as the diameter of channel in the wood is bigger than normal. Shoud I go for an Electro socket or do you have a better advice for me?

2. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The very first Telecasters and early Fender lap steels used a press in cup before they went to the stamped cup with the clip. It sounds like Fender has replicated that for the '52 in an effort for accuracy. Can you simply wrap some Teflon plumbers tape around the cup and press it back in?

I suppose there would never really be a reason to have to remove save for a refinish so you could also glue it in place.

tritonwolf likes this.
  3. milocj

tritonwolf likes this.
  4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a 2016 AV52, and yep, it's a press-in cup, far as I can tell without pulling it all apart. I don't know that it has the twist knurl on it, though, like the Rutters. Might, I just can't tell.

tritonwolf likes this.
  5. milocj

I did some searching and the AV '52 does have a knurled press in jack cup. It doesn't have any twist to the knurl. I guess you would have to glue the cup back in or maybe get it to stay by rotating it to catch a different portion of the wood.

The other approach would be the Electrosocket.

tritonwolf likes this.
  6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I would say there's no reason you couldn't use the older tab that bends. I made a tool out of a bolt, nut and a bit of alloy that works fine. You just need to mark it so it tightens and straightens at the right depth. I last retighrened my MIM reissue about 18 years ago...

IMG_20191124_135209.jpg

Stewmac sells one for $20.

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Too..._and_Pickups/Tele_Jack_Installation_Tool.html

Lots of places have the tabs.

You can go electrosocket or drill a little hole and use a pickguard screw to hold the standard cup in.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/tele-jack-installation-tool.571620/

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    tritonwolf and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  7. tritonwolf

tritonwolf TDPRI Member

Thank you very much for your reply. I´ll try the teflon tape and if that doesn´t work I´ll drill two holes in the cup anf fix it with two woodscews like an Electrosocket.

8. tritonwolf

tritonwolf TDPRI Member

Thank you very much for your reply. The cup on my guitar looks like this but it doesn´t stay it. When I pull the cord the whole damn thing comes out.

9. tritonwolf

tritonwolf TDPRI Member

It has a twist curl on it, but not as pronounced as the Rutters one.

10. tritonwolf

tritonwolf TDPRI Member

I can´t go the standard way. as the drilled whole in the wood is too big. I´ll try teflon tape and if that doesn´t do the trick, I´ll drill two holes in the cup and fix it with two woodscrews.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.