2017 New road bicycle thread...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by robt57, May 24, 2017.

1. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I think the actual working diameter of 650b, once you put fat tires on it, isn't far off from 700c shod with something like a 23mm tire.

2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

True, but I know we're a few years or more into a lot of drop bar frames accommodating 700 x 45 or 50 and 29 x 2.3 to 3. I've assumed everyone would be after the wagon wheel advantages where possible. I didn't get it at first glance where the bike was an eBay bargain.

:)

P.S. There was a time when I hated bigger wheels and I've swallowed pride and whatever over that. I'm a fan these days.

3. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Well the frame I got new from Lynskey on one of their stupid sales. This geometry for my purpose is not a compromise, rather it drove the build.

But some parts I ebayed cam in the mail today to finish it up. Just test rode it a few minutes ago in my sub-div [in rain] with 22 gears.

To help you understand the 'Little wheels', the 27.5 [650b] wheel with the 48mm tire is equal to a 700x 28 about in outside diameter. But you get the air volume and cush, and float for softer/looser surfaces. The 'gravel' bikes are all the rage.
    My take is a more aggressive geometry, I tried the endurance geom and it was not for me.

That sort the concept better? Happy to answer questions if you still got any...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  4. robt57

42x650b=23[700] 47x650b=28[700] 2.1x650b=32[700]

Of course different brands marked sized vary a bit...

5. robt57

So today I got the carbon bar cons on, the front 8000 Deraileurm cabled it up, trimmed and test rode. Like!

When I get the carbon EC70-AX bars it will getting some color pop on the tape. Acid Green one side, Loud Orange other...

A friend called it a Mongrel. I am going to take the top tube Pro-CX vinyl off and put 'Mongrel' on it...

1st-Iteration-fin-Mongrel.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  6. imwjl

Yes, you can get the axles closer to each other without negative consequences. Enjoy the ride!

7. robt57

So I decided to do some vinyl art on the Lynskey and clear over, a few barbed wire water slide decals too.

Dedicated to my cycling forum friend who called it a real Mongrel when he saw the first plain iteration as above in this thread.

So finished, with the 700c wheels for more civilized trekking, the 650b more aggressive tires in the previous pic for roads less traveled, and no roads at all. ;)

The Mongrel:

Mongrel-Soma-700c-side-M55.jpg
    Mongrel-Soma-700c-fr-M45.jpg

8. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

I like the tape...might do same on my road bike

9. robt57

I get in the mood to tutti fruity bars, in the case of this bike, I tutti fruitied up the whole bike.

Attached Files:

10. robt57

I have to learn how to do the harlequin wrap one day...

My first attempt came out terrible... The pic is how it is supposed to look, mine looked a touch less presentable. Like I tore it off before anyone could see it....

harlequinBarTape001.jpg

11. robt57

I decided to pull all those un-needed gears and cogs off the Molteni Merckx. Been enjoying 30 miles jaunts without all the shifty shifty...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great looking bike...a bit more colourfull than mine.

upload_2019-6-14_0-25-30.png

robt57 likes this.
  13. robt57

Of course, no surprise... Sold a few, including the Lynskey Helix I posted a few pages back. After putting Ultegra on it and taking the Super Record for my Spectrum.

Late 90s Spectrum with 80th Ani Super Record Ti groupo. I have since changed the fork to a threadess, But more even older bike nirvana as far as I am concerned.

Michaels Lettering.jpeg

Also, Something I always wanted fell into my lap, as a frameset. Cheap too.

Look 585, yesteryear nirvana if you like the limo glide and uber lightweight bikes. Frame/fork/headset/seatpost/saddle/stem&bars locally. I did not use the stem or bars as the reach was all wrong for me. So picked from the pile of parts on the table [the ones I pulled off the Merckx/Molteni to make it SS] and 1-1/2 hr. later this sweetie. Owner had it professionally striped to carbon and quit riding before doing anything with it. 6 years in a box waiting for me.

20190730_225432.jpg

And this, one size too big for me unfortunately. Actual Team Issue RadioShack Leopard Domane Classic Roubiax Pro bike. This is one sick beast! Long and low!! It thrives at bombing crap roads/broken pave at high speed, especially in curves at the bottoms of descents, eats that crap up!

20190731_165112.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Bendyha likes this.
  14. robt57

Got rid of a few bikes, so made room for a nutha 'N', Agai'N'....

This frame and fork with one piece bars and seatpost was made available to me for dirt. So caved, not that I need too much encouragement to N+ 1.

Years back when I got the Scott Addict LTD HMX that was under me for 6 years, this Tacmac was on the short list. Always wanted to scoot on an 11R level carbon Spesh.
    No exactly contemporary, but I am as fast as I am going to get as it pertains to hardware making any difference...

This does feel like about the best climber I have pedaled personally, from memory such as it is.

To my eyes, this is a sexy beast too, for a 7? year old?

S-WorksTarmac-SL3-Areos-M45.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  15. robt57

Oops... It's CX season...

[​IMG]

16. imwjl

You're crazy on the bike trading or buying and selling. I expected to see more Crocketts and Checkpoints at our annual movie night fundraiser yesterday but storms made the CX practice people and many others wimp out. Also reminding me to oil the chain this AM because .9 inches of rain fell in that outing.

I enjoyed checking those and Checkpoints but went for a more do it all bike.

17. robt57

Yeah, guilty as charged.

Used to be gear/gits/amps. But more 'athletic' items keep me thinner and healthier. I am that guy that horse trades until all my 'stuff' if better than previous. Be it gear or bikes...

Just got back from a 30 mile ride with some fair hills. The Tarmac responded as well as any bike I recall riding/owning etc. In decades.

Not sure what future the pink frosting Crock has just yet. Color got me, but it fits well and feels pretty good Better than expected on scant 10 mile jaunt yesterday... But 32mm tires @ 55/60 PSI make about anything pretty comfy...

18. robt57

Such as?

19. imwjl

I'm sure I've posted this before. I've had it a year. One friend calls it the road bike you can jump. On the whole I like the 1x, big tires, and more slack but upright than my road bike.

[​IMG]

20. robt57

Your Kona, right. The beast you posted cleaner earlier in the thread. Looks good dirty. ;)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.