2017 New road bicycle thread...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by robt57, May 24, 2017.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I think a lot of us can say "been there, done that".

I grew up poor, single mom in the 60s, 5 kids... Poor.

When I started making real coin in my 20s I thought I was Rockerfella.

But even then my roots cover my ars. I wanted the deals, and got the deals. My first new cars in my 20s, trucks actually.. A K20 Silverado Suburban and a soup to nuts sport S10 4WD I got for $3-5k each off sticker [$3-S10, $5K Burb], and mid 80s sticker $$ was not nuts like today IMO. That was before folks got hep to Cowboy Cadillac Surburbans. ;)

When you grow up poor, you learn how to be resourceful, least I did. ;)

I gotta see little or no loss potential when I get rid of something or I pass on it. I likes me some steak tastes on burger coin. Always have.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    imwjl likes this.
  2. robt57

Last update 90s Merckx Corsa Molteni inspired refresh. Got the frame from a friend that did up the frame restore in 2013 that just did no love the Geom. I get along with it, he didn't...

I am pretty happy with the finished machine, for actual riding. ;)

Neo/Modern Retro, I am sticking with the modern carbon bars. So my shopping for a quill and 1" bars has ceased. The running gear is also in the Neo/Modern realm being 11 speed carbon Campy.

Settled with this 3T stem. Less bulky that the carbon stem in the orig setup pic I posted, and a little longer as I dialed in my position. The bars for my use checked too many boxes in function to think about back dating for looks. Probably the best bars for my hand comfort I have used to date.

Got 7 nice rides in before the wet season ensued, couple 40 milers.

[​IMG]

3. robt57

I guess I will put this here to bump, and so anyone following might see more of my madness.

So a 2019 NBD occurred last week. A deal popped up I simply could not pass on. I sold my Scott Addict since I got this low use beauty. It came with some tubeless Fulcrum Zero wheels I put on another bike already. ;) With a 6 Titanium cog Super Record 11 speed cassette too.

The 80th Anniversary Super Record Groupset cost more than double my price paid for the bike. I should be ashamed, but I ain't. :D

I love the full compact frame design for function more than looks. Long seat post affords some nice ride/cush. Especially with a Syntace P6 HiFlex post.

Helix_P6_H-Plus-WheelsM85.jpg

TequilaCaster and Shuster like this.
  4. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I like the look of the twisted top and down tubes.

I have been looking at gravel bikes with some interest. However, we don't have a lot of great terrain for gravel bikes around here. If you are off road here the vast majority of
    it is highly technical, rocky, and steep. There's a few fire roads and electrical tower access roads, but they are pretty limited. So it really makes more sense to have
    a proper, full suspension mtn bike (like my Yeti SB5+) and a proper road bike. I could see getting a more road-centric "gravel bike" kitted with nice disc brakes and
    somewhat plusher tires, but there's no rush.

5. robt57

I think 'road' bike deals like I got on this are getting easier and easier to find. This one does fit 28s, but a lot of RR bikse barely fit 25s.

The market is ripe for 'gravel' or 'all road' carbon bikes, and sale bear this out. Folks are finding the swiss army bike make the road race bike get non use.

It make perfect sense to me, you may loose some aero benefit with a bike that fits 45mm tires. But for the amateur cycling enthusiast the extra watts to push a disc 'all road/gravel' is really moot, or tolerable.

The major upside [besides less bikes for non nuts] being that with some road tires on wheels a road club ride totally doable. Low BB for long comfort, toss on 35-45mm gravel tires and go in the woods less technical jauts. Winter, toss fender on with 28s and road ride. Discs in wet better hands down, weight of disc braking system way down from MTB of yester-year. Weights of these carbon all road/gravel being heavier not too bad, and the upsides perhaps make that moot too. Who really need a 15 lb bike other than to say I have a 15 lb bike really? So a 18-19 lb carbon disc all road is the now most popular iteration, RR bike deal more and more available.

Factor in the Smart Phone infiltration while driving of the last 5+ years and danger associated there-to... Well, has a lot of folks rethinking riding out among the blunt skulls not looking where they are going, but rather looking at their phones mostly anymore perhaps....

6. robt57

I did not at first, but now I do. Seems gimmicky, but they claim it reduces the torque/twist from the drive line side twist pushing watts.

I may have to get some paint on it, DIY of course. I know I will get tired of the Ti-mono-chromatic look from previous Ti bike experience/ownership. Check out the Paint Helix OX pic I found, drool...

I can say it is stiff and jumps quite well when you push watts into it. And I am loosing weight but still at 219, so I can tell a bendy BB when I mash on it, and this ain't it.

I have looked at Lynskeys when Ti lusting, but the affordable frames have some pretty small chain stays. As a Clydesdale I know that in not going to work for me, and Lynskey told me that years back when I considered/inquired about a silver series frame.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes the SB terrain is brutal but I think the open off road is more abundant than the nasty technical stuff that everyone is drawn to on those dual suspension rigs. That's just my preference though.

I ride all that back country stuff Chris. It's perfect for a "gravel" or cross bike i'd say, but I look for all those jeep roads & trails. My Toughroad will take a 50c tire if I want some cushion but I put 40's on it for longer rides without all the drag. On/off pavement sort of rides.

I just mapped the Refugio Rd route up to the radio towers. Not as long/far as I'd thought. 5200' of climbing & 55 miles or thereabouts. Pre rode the 101 stretch out to Refugio Beach a week ago to meet some friends riding down the coast. That's the part that concerns me but the shoulder is pretty wide. As soon as it warms up a bit I'll make that run.

8. robt57

Drool....

9. bender66

Here you go. The upper part, West Camino Cielo, is alternating dirt near the radio towers. All the climbing starts where it turns inland. This section was decimated by fire a couple years ago.
    Screenshot_2019-01-30-16-01-00.png

10. Danocoustic

Danocoustic Tele-Meister

Wish I had pics of my criterium bike from the early 80s.

Guerciotti/Campy SR. Downtube shifters, baybee. Toe clips and straps. Sidepulls. Indexing NOTHING.

Shaved legs and a leather hairnet.

I was a chick magnet, I tells ya!

bender66 and robt57 like this.
  11. bender66

...and now look at us!

12. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not new, but it's in mint condition, I found one in Houston, and love this TerraTrike Rambler AT. Just a bit spooked about dogs, and being face to face with a pissed off one that wants to eat the bike,,, lol

robt57 likes this.
  13. chris m.

Bender-- I've actually done that ride, on a regular road racing bike. I've also gone down Refugio into Santa Ynez and then ridden back over Stagecoach/Old San Marcos, on my road bike. I've also done Arroyo Burro, again on a regular road bike. You're right, there is some acceptable
    gravel bike terrain in our area. That said, my mountain bike is really sweet-- I can lock out the suspension, it's plenty light, and it is SO cushy. If I had a gravel bike in the stable I would choose it, but without one I think the mtb would be peachy. What I'm likely to do is
    get rid of the road bike and replace it with a gravel bike. Lower gearing would be welcome, as would disc brakes. I'm just not in a hurry.....before gravel bikes were invented, when I lived in Sonoma County my fellow racers would do all kinds of adventure rides on our traditional, steel framed road bikes. As long as it wasn't muddy then regular rim brakes were fine. A 25c or 28c tire would do the job although pinch flats did occur now and then....though tubulars pretty much eliminated that problem for those that used them. Now that I no longer ride 400 miles a week and race every weekend, lower gearing than my current 39x25 would certainly be appreciated.....

robt57 likes this.
  14. robt57

I literately used a steel 700c Trek 730 Multi track canti bike as my only off road bike for 4 years. It fit and had Panaracer Fire-x 45mm knobs on it, drop bars and 9 speed bar cons with a sugino triple 24/36/46 crankset. Cover a wide range of use with it! Still be viable today I;d bet. I only added a 90s steel stump 26er when some friend started taking me to very tight single track. We used to toss tubby CX tires on in the 70s and take our road bike near anywhere. Got more flats on the road back then with the sew-ups.

Data point: the latest road Shimano rear deralliers are both shadow tech and 38T capacity for the GS cage. I have a 28/42 with a 11-36 on one bike. And while I don't get to the 21 GI low too frequently, I take this bike places I would not take a 34 front / 32 low rear setup.

I just got a 11-40 to see if it will work with the 39T capacity RD. Thinking probably wind up on a 1x11 setup. ;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  15. chris m.

I'm still using an original 9 sp Dura-Ace 7700 STI groupo from sometime around maybe 1997. I don't think it will go much bigger than a 26 in the back although I could
    switch to a compact chainset in the front. Call me vain. I remember when anything less than 42x21 was for babies, although eventually we conceded 39x23 was suitable
    for mountainous terrain.

16. robt57

39/53 with a 12-27 cassette was my climbing setup. But @ 50 years old, after recovering from ski tib/fib/plateau fractures and a slow 3 years back to riding... I put on a 36/48 and pulled one in the middle and a spacer to add a 30T up top. Only then was I able to stay riding. It was on and off for a few seasons with my old climbing gears.

Chris, when I upgraded my 7700 to 7800 the shifter were so much bigger and longer I had to put on a shorter stem. I have big hands, and only then realized just how small the ST-7700 shifter I diddled for 13k mile were....

17. robt57

Probably no surprise in this post to the bike Sluts whom spy this thread. A mint older Custom Spectrum Ti Super that fits like I had it made for me popped up. Yoink!

I could not resist, Sold my CX Canti bike and got the frame fork headset and some more parts adding very little cash to the CX sale. As to not upset the Matriarchy here..

After the requisite citrus cleaning with scoth bright pads. And my handy DIY work with Black Panels and lettering in vinyl, ready for presentation

I had bought a few mint bikes for part with Super Record 11s. So one of those got the groupo moved to this sweet thing.

I present Superlight Spectrum Ti Super with 80th Anniversary Super Record Ti Groupo. It is nice for a 21 year old with a 6 year old groupo, and some of my fav wheels. Fits 28mm tires. Which is a good thing, she it a stout steed!!

[​IMG]

chris m. likes this.
  18. robt57

Well, I plan to sell off a few more, 3 on the sale block. That new Credit Card with a year no interest... No, don't even suggest a Les Paul...

Yup, did it again...

2019 Lynskey Titamium Pro-Cross setup as my Gravel steed. 650b x 47 set up to ride, still waiting on eBay/delivery of a few parts. But a few rides in, I hit a home run again. Starting out with a $3500.00 MSRP Ti Frame and a hand made steel fork for $1300.00 shipped cost to me. Can't resist such sales/bargains. Lynskey does stupid deals when they need to pay their fiscal taxes I guess... The fork was a gift pretty much.

1x11_BarConProCX.jpg

imwjl likes this.
  19. chris m.

Wow, nice. I've been looking for a gravel steed myself, but I'm trying to find a good deal on a used one. Also interested in the Cannondale
    Synapse-- lot of bike for the $$. Local craigslist had a Norco Threshold in a 53cm. It had only about 400 miles on it and was going for
    half of new, so it was a very fair deal. However, I typically need the next size up and indeed it was just a tad small. More importantly it was
    pretty twitchy when I gave it a quick test ride, which makes sense for a 'cross racing bike on tight courses.
    (I used to race 'cross but don't foresee doing that anymore).
    I want a longer wheelbase cruiser that doesn't require as much constant attention to pointing the front end.

20. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Nice!

I'd be curious to know why you chose little wheels - height? What size? Dictated by the eBay bargain?

I recently drooled over someone's Moots all road bike but my budget is lower if only to address 4 enthusiastic riders in the family.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.