2017 Baja Tele vs 2018 Fender American Professional (rosewood neck)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by babond, Aug 18, 2019.

1. babond

babond TDPRI Member

Just need some advice (about to pull the trigger, got the ok from the wife). I'm looking at a used Baja Telecaster for $600 (only a gig bag) and a Fender American Professional Telecaster (surf green) with solid rosewood neck for $1249 with hardshell case. Such a difficult decision. Thoughts?

2. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I would get the American Professional, but I dislike the Baja neck.

3. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

If you like the Baja $650 is a nice chunk of change for an amp or pickups and hardware upgrades.

If the Baja neck was too my liking and played well I'd add some Gotoh intonated saddles, staggered Gotoh tuners, and some Onamac A3 43AWG Broadcaster pups and call it a day.

... ...and stil have a few hundred left over.

babond likes this.
  4. Fuggle

Fuggle TDPRI Member

Baja all the way. Best bang for the buck. Plus, rosewood is for heathens!

5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

50’s Baja? Got a special neck if you like it.

Say you want a weekend away with her with the rest. You need to play the long game on gear.

Toadtele and stuffinplays like this.
  6. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Wisdom.…...;)

Toadtele likes this.
  7. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

I guess I am a heathen then, works great for that devil's rock and roll,

stnmtthw and Fuggle like this.
  8. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

If you like the chubby neck, the Baja is excellent. The only mod you might need are the gotoh intonated brass sadles. I shimmed mine (Baja Player) with the smallest stewmac shim to get more clearence and more presure at the sadles, but this is totally optional. The pickups are imo excellent.

Omiewise65 likes this.
  9. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Which feels and plays better ?? Meets your budget ??? There's your answer ...

10. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

I’ve been drooling over the all rosewood neck since I played one. One of the nicest necks I’ve played. If I had the cash, the professional.

11. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

The two instruments are quite different from each other, especially the necks. Only you can decide which floats your boat better for playability, feel, tone, and looks.

Pickups and electronics are easily swapped around whenever you may desire. But the neck is the neck, and the body color/finish is what it will remain!

I would choose by which neck I wanted, first. And body color is something that you cannot easily change!

If you want to know which I would personally select (I have both necks), I'd take the American Pro with the rosewood board, without hesitating. Not because one is MIA and the other is MIM, but simply because I prefer the Pro neck and rosewood board. Pickups, electronics, bridges, tuning machines etc. are quite expendable, whichever guitar you get.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    NewKid likes this.
  12. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I'm no help because I bought one of each. Rosewood neck Am Pro and all... 20190609_084550.jpg

Toadtele, NewKid, tery and 1 other person like this.
  13. babond

babond TDPRI Member

I can’t play the Baja (and they’re discontinued), but I dig the price $600... I’d still need $200 for a case. I did play the surf green rosewood neck about 1.5 years ago at GC and loved it. @stnmtthw if you had to pick between the two for playability..?

14. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

It's tough because I love them both. I will say that I had to do a little more work on the Baja neck because I'm not a fan of the glossy finish, so I had to use a 000 steel wool pad on the back of the neck to get it where I want it. I love the way it feels now. The rosewood neck on the Am Pro is unfinished, and the bare wood feels so good, but the neck is much smaller than the Baja. The frets are mediums on the Baja, and narrow-tall on the Am Pro. Just a little different feel, I don't really have a preference between them.

I like the bridge on the Am Pro better. The saddles are compensated, and that's something that I'm thinking about upgrading on the Baja.

The pickups are different as well. The Baja bridge pickup is much more twangy, with a very traditional Telecaster sound. The Twisted Tele in the neck is really Strat like. The Baja also has a 4 way switch, so it's almost like having a humbucker option in there as well.

The Am Pro has V-Mod pickups, which are very nice. They're hotter and more modern sounding, but able to twang if you need them to. It doesn't have the 4 way option, but I only use that when I don't feel like switching to my Les Paul anyway.

Speaking of Les Paul's, weight is a difference too. I don't weigh my guitars, but the Am Pro is much lighter than the Baja, if that matters to you.

Basically, they're both great guitars and both are keepers. What kind of neck profile and frets do you like? What kind of pickups? Which one would be more suited to the music you play?

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

15. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

I don’t know anything about the Baja but that seems like a pretty average price from what I’ve seen. That price on the AmPro sounds like a good deal especially with that neck. If the neck on the AmPro is thinner than the Baja then that thing must be shaped like a 2x4. :) The maple neck on my AP feels quite fat to me and I love it. Also that AP should have the treble bleed. Just in case that makes any difference to you.

stnmtthw likes this.
  16. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

You've never played the Baja....you played the American Pro and loved it.
    This is a simple decision, don't overthink it.

navier likes this.
  17. babond

babond TDPRI Member

UPDATE: I decided that butterscotch telecasters are timeless and I don't own enough guitars to have a "fun" color (although if I ever own a Jazzmaster... it will be a fun color). After much deliberation, I decided to go ahead and get an American Professional Butterscotch Telecaster. $1480 out the door from Sweetwater. The wife gave me the ok, but I can't help but feel a little bit nauseated (is this a normal feeling) spending that kind of dough. I'm pretty frugal guy... so this was uncharacteristic of me. I appreciate all the feedback.

navier, stnmtthw and Fuggle like this.
  18. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Don't torture yourself. If it's not right for you, you can return it. Otherwise, enjoy!

19. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I vote : Baja :cool:

babond likes this.
  20. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Congrats .. A solid choice .. and hey, you only life once :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.