2016 Build Challenge - Taking a Break

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TDPRI, Jul 14, 2016.

1. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Many have noticed that we have not made any announcements concerning a 2016 Build Challenge for this year. And a few have asked for us to make a statement about this so they can plan their builds.

After a lot of thought and discussion we've decided to take a break from the Build Challenge for 2016. We still love the idea and the excitement the BC brings we just feel that enthusiasm was dropping over the past couple of years and skipping a year would be a good thing.

We do anticipate that the BC will be back - so don't take a one-year hiatus as the cold dark end of the concept.

Sorry to disappoint the folks that were looking forward to taking part - and hope that many of you are as relieved to have a break from the pressure as we who run the whole thing are.

We expect to be back with a great new Build Challenge in the future - and hopefully with some new ideas to make it fun and interesting, too.

Thanks for understanding.
    Paul Green
    John Kingma

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks for letting us know guys! Now we can move on....:)

3. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Thanks for letting us know Paul. I love the challenges and the preasure it brings so I will for sure be in when you start up again.

4. CLPeterman

CLPeterman TDPRI Member

I am disappointed, as a new member I was looking forward to participating. But I understand why your choosing to take the year off. Theres always next year.

5. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

Aw crap! I'm gonna have to find some other way to not finish my build this year!

6. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Bummer. I was looking forward to it this year since I took last year off already!

Glad to hear it will be back though. I guess this gives me even more time to prep. (yeah, like THAT will happen!)

7. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

oh well. i thought this was going to happen...sniff sniff... I hope next time we can do a tribute to the Brain...

8. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Thank you for the heads up... it's probably a good thing for me, since I wanted to participate, but am not sure i'm really "ready". LOL

9. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

That's OK ....I'm taking a break this year too....

I've hardly touched any tools in the workshop so far.... just done a few restrings at my table here......

10. kingoflimbs

kingoflimbs Tele-Meister

hasn't it been a year since the last one? what are we taking a break from?

11. kingoflimbs

kingoflimbs Tele-Meister

as far as lack of enthusiasm is concerened, the only lack of enthusiasm it seems, is from the two guys who decided they didn't want to do it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    wadeeinkauf likes this.
  12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm OK with this. If the guys who run it get burned out, guess what happens then? A years' hiatus will give new people a chance to come on board, test their tools and skills, build up some confidence, ideas and enthusiasms, and some of us old goats to get some projects off our benches and maybe closer to being ready for a new challenge.

Barncaster, RogerC, JazzHands and 2 others like this.
  13. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Takes the pressure off of me!

Now I don't need to start a build that I know I can't finish on time!

John Nicholas likes this.
  14. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks guys for making what I'm sure was a hard decision on this. I know it will work out best for the forum.

Perhaps we can set a "build start" date this year and everyone can just queue up an interesting build and just start around that date... no sub-forum, no guidelines or end-dates. Just have everyone challenge themselves this year. It's the multi-builds all a once part of the challenges that was most interesting to me.

15. TheZ

TheZ Tele-Meister

That is a great idea!

Mojotron likes this.
  16. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

This site does not owe you anything. Let me tell you from experience that the grief "the two guys" go through on a year to year basis is palpable, and is based largely on the attitudes of people who complain how unfair this rule/this date/this restriction/this prize is. For the punters, its one thing, for the unpaid admins it's another thing entirely.

Set yourself a challenge, if it's so important to you. You don't need a regulated contest to do that.

17. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

You guys (and the other guys who have been in charge of the challenges earlier) have done an amazing job. The challenges are an awesome way for me to push myself to learn something new. For me the challenge is a school for me. Its also a place where I gain inspiration that lasts a very long time :)

So for me, I will "just" use the time to build something else :)

MM73 and Wahoo like this.
  18. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well said.

Thinking back on how difficult it's always been to keep up with all the builds, when, as a punter, it's all good fun, imagine the burden of having to keep up ongoing visits to each build thread for the entire duration of the challenge because you're in charge of it! Talk about too much of a good thing!

And then add the carping, the need to respond maturely to comments that deserve less, all that negative stuff Kwerk mentioned, and i don't begrudge the "couple of guys" a break at all. It may be disappointing now, but stick around, maybe build something that will help prepare you for your Big Idea for the next challenge, and it'll be here before you know it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Daverius, lbridenstine, Wahoo and 2 others like this.
  19. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hear hear! If you do a build and post it here, we can all still appreciate the work and ideas you put into it and you would be without the pressure to take "short cuts" to comply with a time schedule.

DC

20. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks, Paul, for letting us know!

I'm OK with this since I wasn't going to be able to participate this year anyway. Not for lack of enthusiasm, but just because I have so much else going on this year!

Looking forward to the next Build Challenge, whenever it is!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.