1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2016 build challenge: any scuttlebutt?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Feb 11, 2016.

1. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

What about a class for all those who have still not completed their last challenge build? I know I'm not the only one!

2. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

I like the master class idea - like a Champions League kind of thing.

As for a class for people who havent completed their challange builds? I think that would be a really big group :D

I joined just after the budget builds so personally I would love to try my hands on that. But I am very flexible so I will build something that will fit this years challenge.

3. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

I like the idea of a couple different classes.

Perhaps a pro class where folks duke it out for the prize money.
    Maybe a beginner, recreation, or amateur class to duke it out for bragging rights, or a t-shirt... or some swag listed on that stocking stuffer thread.

Perhaps an honorable mention for best build almost completed?

4. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

Ooooo! Something I can shoot for!

Seriously... I WILL eventually finish a Challenge! Maybe this year!

5. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

Hey Rob,
    I hope you weren't wearing them at the time...
    (somebody's gotta say it...)

6. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

LOL, but she is a butt sniffer.... No, she goes on night time raids of the laundry baskets. Me, I prefer a good red or IPA myself.

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I like this! We could get still a couple more re-fins out of the ol' T-bird, I bet. :D I haven't given up on the red knobs yet, either! :cool:

We'll call it the Albatross Division: finish a project that's been hanging around your neck. There would need to be something more to it though, like everybody in it has to back up to the same spot, some way to level the field. Also, there should be a "penalty for early withdrawal". Like, if you join this division and STILL don't finish on time, you should have to string it up as best you can, and videotape yourself playing and singing "Wild Thing" on the busiest street corner in your town.

Something GOOD like that! :lol:

8. ajr969

ajr969 Tele-Meister

While wearing sandals with socks AND Rob's damaged undies :eek:

9. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Still laughing at the thought of this :D

10. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Tele-Meister

I haven't done the challenge before, but I just got my CNC so I might have a go this time! I have a lovely piece of extremely flamed sycamore to use for a neck... And a nice clean grained bit of horse chestnut (buckeye) for a body.

It depends on the challenge parameters, but I have some cool prototypes to build and it would be nice to document one of those.

11. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Tele-Meister

Nice head! Where's the rest of her? ;)

12. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

I been fishing here for the very information this thread proffered to produce, but am still laughing at the honorable mention for best incomplete guitar! Remember entries must include a pet and a motorcycle.

--------
    Jeff

13. Mbechmann

How about projects that you actually did finish in time but have some flaw that you just havent been able to sort out either due to no time or something like that? In this case a bonus is given if you have more that needs to get sorted out :D

14. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

LOL,
    Here she is! Ellah dig dog! Notice this picture is not so head floaty. You can see a paw.
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1455844352.047475.jpg
    Rob

15. Model T

Model T Tele-Holic

I'm in.

16. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Frick, my last challenge build has one high fret that popped out of it's slot on one end, thats been buzzing like crazy. All it needs is some super glue, yet I somehow always manage to forget whenever I have superglue.

17. Jfellows

Jfellows Tele-Afflicted

Well, I did finally nearly rebuild my 2013 challenge guitar this past year. I resprayed the body about a year and a half ago because the finish had some issues I wasn't happy with. But the neck I made in that challenge was crap because I really had no idea what I was doing, it was like my 2nd neck ever. So I completely rebuilt the neck in between other projects, so that took like another year. Then I had both the neck and the body finished and it was 6 more months to put them back together.

So ultimately, the first guitar that I made in 2 months I then spent 3 years re-doing to actually make it into what I wanted in the first place. ;)

Of course that didn't stop me from doing the last two challenges in the meanwhile. But one of those is hanging on the wall awaiting a refin too, so go figure...

18. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

You can indeed see a paw.

No evidence of it being attached to her, though.

19. Mbechmann

Haha sounds like my story.

The neck on the first challenge build was thick - like almost 1½ inches thick. I was worried that I would sand through to the truss rod :D

Second years challenge - the Cobranita - it was the first time I used Nitro. I totally mistimed the 3 weeks drying time before polishing it up... Well 3 weeks turned into 2 years and counting. I am also not happy about the neck for this one. Dont like the paintjob. I am thinking building a completely new neck for this one. :D Oh I almost forgot. I managed to steal a few parts from it as well :D

Last but not least I still havent changed the pickup on last years challenge that I busted when polishing it up :D Or changed the cap and pots :D

Thats the history of my challenge builds :D

20. Mbechmann

While surfing online I came across some caps made in USSR. That made me think and I had an idea.

How about a class thats country inspired or country themed? Like building an instrument inspired by Spanish flamingo/classical guitars or a Russian balalaika inspired guitar? Should be a very interesting class and should be some very cool instruments.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.