2015 gibsons?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by jipp, Oct 2, 2014.

1. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

I can see it now.

"What's the least noticeable change we could make to the guitars and still charge 40% more?"

"Hmmmm... people will notice the tops, the finish, the pickups, even the knobs. How about the neck? No one cares about the neck!"

"I like it - that's how you show people you're a lifestyle brand! You change something that doesn't matter."

*clapping all around the boardroom table*

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I understood the "wider playing surface" to be simply the side effect of changing the binding process. Gibson has traditionally used a very labor intensive process, installing binding AFTER the frets have been installed and dressed. Binding is installed high enough to cover the fret ends, and is then manually notched down to fingerboard level between the frets, leaving the well known binding 'nibs'.

Gibson didn't want to give you a wider playing surface. They wanted to remove a classic feature that was the result of a traditional process.... and they spun it as a new feature.

Don't poop in my ice cream and tell me it's better than chocolate. In fact, just don't poop in my ice cream. Bring back the nibs.

You've never heard a Gibson owner complain of sharp fret ends. Because it was impossible. The ends were covered by binding. Not anymore.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Retaining nibs has always been a challenge during a refret, but definitely possible, and worth it in my opinion. Here's my 335 receiving a set of stainless frets:
    [​IMG]

New frets, old nibs:
    [​IMG]

4. itsGreg

itsGreg Tele-Holic

I bought the tronicaltune for my lp on a whim (mega cheap on ebay), and I have to say I love it. In fact my lp now gets played a he'll of a lot more than it used to!

5. itsGreg

itsGreg Tele-Holic

The aftermarket ones I bought for my les paul were like that when I fitted them, I was raging till I realised that the battery was low. Turns out when it's nearly out of power it's terrible at tuning! A quick charge and everything was fine.
    You can manually tune them but the ratio is crazy high so you'll be there a while..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.