2015 gibsons?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by jipp, Oct 2, 2014.

1. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

I confess I don't understand the price complaints.
    Do people actually pay retail for these things?

2. gpasq

gpasq Friend of Leo's

Price aside, they're excellent guitars. I played a few today. I like the wider neck, and I really like the nut. Out of the box, the three I played were among the best set-up guitars I've -ever- played and they both felt and sounded excellent. The SG, in particular, had a spectacular neck, and if I had the cash, I'd have bought it.

The tuner sucks ass. I just took one off a 2014 SG. Takes 10 minutes. The guy at GC told me the new ones are better than last year's model, but who knows. THe one I had on my 2014 couldn't tune to save my life.

Are they worth the $$$? I guess time will tell. They're better than most PRSs that I've played and PRSs cost the same or more.

3. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Let us not forget that all of this sprouts from the mind of the man who thought the Firebird X was a good idea.

4. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

After lots of pondering... I like the idea of the neck, I'm never going to be able to afford a VOS anyway, I can take or leave the zero fret, the Gforce can be ripped off and replaced but what I can't get over is that dang signature. That and the questionable resale value...

I will have to go and play one, one of these days for the final judgement. I think if I was to go for a 2015 it would be a ES-335 Studio since it does not suffer from the Les Paul Siggy.

5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Like a number of people on this site I like Gibsons-especially their acoustics. They are quality, well-made guitars, but their prices!!! Especially Downunder where an old style J-45 costs $7,000s. Great guitars but I'd have to sell my Fender Princeton, a USA Telecaster and other guitars just to get one!! No wonder people here buy Maton or others. When will Gibson lower prices without sacrificing quality? As for a Les Paul- excuse me- out of most people's range here. I gather we're not the only country/market affected by their prices- as have been reflected in the comments here. JMHO

6. Berndizzle440

Berndizzle440 Tele-Holic

Im sure sometime soon they will be making guitars that not only tune themselves but play themselves.... at least from what ive seen of the fan base it's a smart move ;)

7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Actually, yes, the majority of the sales would seem to be online and big box retailers selling at the Minimum Advertized Price (MAP). Gibson's web site now has the MAP as a price instead of the fictitious list price. Sure there are honest to goodness mom-and-pop local music stores who are willing to negotiate a price and have good service, but that's the exception and not the rule unfortunately.

So the basis for the complaint is what turns out to be a huge jump in price from mid 2's to high 3's. Ouch.

8. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Holic

I cant stop wondering why dont they try to improve mahagony neck near the head of the guitar.. I experienced so much broken necks troughout the years.. would be enough if they do mahogany-mpale mahogany sandwich or little bump under the zero nut as japanese brands do

9. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Bozeman is usually isolated from all the Nashville nonsense and QC issues generally associated with the electrics. I can't imagine them putting those tuners on the acoustics.

10. karpis

karpis Tele-Holic

In the name of Elvis, where are ES series guitars? Glad to see junior come back but with slim neck and g-foce?.. It is New Coke thing again!

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They just haven't been released yet.

12. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Friend of Leo's

I have only seen 2015 Gibsons in photos and I am not too impressed. The worst of the worst to me is what Gibson did with the 2015 Les Paul Supreme. Put F-holes on a Les Paul and it should no longer be called a Les Paul. The damn thing is fugly and I would never purchase such an atrocity. now HERE is what a Supreme SHOULD be. My highly modded 2012 Gibson Les Paul Supreme.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i hear ya, i wondered the same to be honest. Iv heard excuse like.. thats not how they made them in the golden age.. it would save them on warranty fixes too.. and they made the neck bigger, fretboard thicker, added the GForce. t hey should of fixed the problem with a scarf joint. that is one new update to the 2015 line no one would of complained about id imagine. if you were gonna fix the issue now would of been the perfect time since.. they are pissing off the die hard traditionalist, you know the ones who wont buy a rose wood fretboard if you can see the grain and still tune by ear. heh.

the use market shall get interesting if gibson sticks to this GForce on all but a couple of guitars.

yeah, id hope they would not added the GForce to the acoustic line as mandatory. sure added it as a option.. some will like it.

also they are trying to patent the zero fret? not sure how they can do that.

chris.

14. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

nice guitar. so the new ones have F holes. interesting wonder why they changed that. ebony fretboard too?
    chris.

15. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

should not be that long. Epi has some models they are offering with the head stock tuner. so the item will be available in china. im guessing thats where its made anyhow.

but, yeah one extra thing to bring up the price of even a china fake id think. i just cant find out how long the battery will last. hell sweetwater did not even bother to respond back to my email. go figure.. guess ill buy what i was looking for else where.
    chris.

16. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Friend of Leo's

Naw Chris, it is a Richlite fretboard and believe me when I tell you.......it is an excellent fretboard material. I don't even miss the fact that it is not an Ebony fretboard. Try playing on Richlite and you will see that it is smoother than Ebony and stays cleaner. less maintenance.

17. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have Gibson guitars and I like them. I play humbuckers (some of the time) and I like traditional Gibson humbucker guitars.

The 2015 line looks weird to me. It's like they went different just for the sake of being different. It doesn't look like anything that I would value or use or want.

I don't know why they can't stick with the designs that people have wanted for years and offer a few interesting signature guitars that they build after working with famous Gibson users. Lord knows that there are tons of famous Gibson guitar players.

CF Martin focuses on traditional designs and every year they offer a few new signature guitars. I toured the Martin factory in August and every worker is getting paid to work overtime and they all get profit sharing and every guitar that was being built in the factory was sold. They've been running at this success rate for a long time.

Chicago Music Exchange ran a 20% off sale of in stock Gibson models in summer of 2014. I bought an SG Special during the sale. It's black, full gloss, great pickups and no nonsense. I gig it. I also bought an SG Jr while the getting was good. I'm officially done. I have some solid traditional Gibson Guitars and I think the new stuff looks goofy. The black plastic tuner box on the rear of all the new Gibson headstocks looks like a cheap gimmick to me. I don't like how strongly they are marketing the auto tuner. I just don't want one. I'm seeing catalogs where it's hard to find certain models with the tuner gimmick. They're loosing me.

This is a good (way less than $1000) Gibson. I wish they still built these Specials.....

[​IMG]

18. Wanderlust

Wanderlust TDPRI Member

I thought the boost switches last year were too much of a departure. These min-e-tune monstrosities are gross. As others have said they dont have anything that really caters to a traditionalist in any respect anymore. Min-e-tune doesn't look sturdy, it looks like a cheap piece of plastic they are charging 400 bucks for that cost about 20 to build. It also looks like it will pop off or break quicker than the headstock. Gibson left a great impression on me last year with the lower end stuff I tried out, they lost all that and then some with this mess.

19. telejonez

telejonez Tele-Meister

image-1405355983.jpg

Here's my CS LP Special. It's the cousin of my Tele. Now forget these guys at Gibson; they're not your friends. But they're doing you a favor: go out and buy a Telecaster!

20. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Does any of this affect the memphis guitars? (Or CS for that matter).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.