2014 Build Challenge Rules Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TDPRI, Feb 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

The point I was making is that if you are afraid what you want to do doesn't fit the rules, either don't do it or enter the open class. There is enough options this year in the 4 classes that "I am afraid of getting dq'd" is really not reasonable.

2. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Sorry to correct you. But the guitars has to be, as described in the rules, based a production line guitar model that Fender has made in the past with no modifications.

3. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Yep - one interesting thing to consider - instead of being DQed - would there be an option to move to a different class if applicable and a project was deemed to be outside of the guidelines for a specific class - but could fit into a different class?

I think it is likely unnecessary and likely venturing into making the challenge difficult to manage - but it's one way to deal with a situation that comes up.

I'm guessing it would be a good thing to try to constrain the event to a manageable size by making the rules something where folks are going to choose to not enter once in a while as it's not their thing. In the end, I think it's awesome that Paul puts up with us :) 'cuz this stuff is as special as it gets in the world of making guitars with an online community - IMO. So whatever makes this easier to pull off for those doing the work to keep it going is something I want to support.

4. Mojotron

Ahhh - Good to know - sorry if I did some swizzling in my head on that one - thanks, that's a good clarification.

5. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Misunderstanding, Whodatpat is referring to Jim Beam.

Why all that tension here? Does this happen every year? I though Build Challenge means have fun.
    I am not referring to Onebean.

6. Cornholio

Cornholio TDPRI Member

I was wondering if a printed image under the pickguard is ok? As long as you make the pickguard?

7. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

Do the rules specifically say you cannot do this?

8. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Every year I put out the rules and every year people try to twist them to their own idea of what they want the rules to say.

Some people do ask unnecessary questions - I wouldn't call them stupid - but unnecessary for sure. And, I get put in this position of being asked to "bless" concepts that are clearly not permitted by the rules. And when my response is to refer people back to the rules that doesn't satisfy them.

It is supposed to be fun - but it's getting less fun for sure.

9. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Tele-Meister

I didn't "bash" anybody. I stated my reasons for not entering. If these rules require 13 pages (and still going) of discussion to sort them out, then they are too complex for stupid ol' me. And there IS a decidedly snippy tone in here. :lol:

10. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    The rules clearly cover this.

You make that choice at the beginning of the Challenge. Period.

11. Mojotron

Yep - thanks.

12. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Well as an observer and not a participant (at least this year) I am surprised how many questions are being asked and what some of you are asking. The rules are crystal clear, Paul keeps reiterating and answering the same thing over and over. It's got to be and look like a production Tele. What's so hard about that? If it isn't go to the open class. But the "can I do this" and "can I do that" questions have made this thread absolutely snooty. I don't get it. The rules are not complex but some of you want to twist them to be interpreted for your own ideas. Go to the open class then and most of all HAVE FUN! Winning isn't everything but building something really cool is...

13. Onebean

Onebean Tele-Holic

Sorry to stir the pot, I had no intention of doing that. I don't currently have the tools or the time to build a neck, or I would jump to the open class. My intention wasn't to ask for a bend in the rules, this would be my first time in the challenge, and I wanted to make sure my plan fit the rules. I have enjoyed reading all the build threads from the past, and after 2 years, my schedule allows me the chance to join this year. I love pushing myself to try new things. I just hope I haven't burned a bridge here, preventing me from joining the beginner challenge.

Onebean

14. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    No bridges burned as far as I'm concerned.

15. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  16. Mojotron

Thanks for bringing it up - I think others may have had the same question - I appreciated the clarification too. There's a lot of variations when people make their own stuff as it's likely a primary reason we make our own stuff. Ya, building a neck is at least as complicated as making a body - but if you want to go down that path there will be a lot of people to show you the way, and many others have done it - if you have some woodworking experience and simplify finishing plans to just using a really simple finish that sets up fast - you will have enough time. I did an experiment once with Deft Lacquer Sanding Sealer and it makes a pretty decent clear finish - just brushing it on - that you can go back and rework later with very little stripping. (Of course, I advise people to stay fully clothed when working on guitars - or at least close the garage door first, before stripping :lol:)

If there's anything I can do to help you out, or any questions you may have about building, let me know :) This year will be a great year to be in it... I don't know why, but I'm sure we will get a lot out of the experience. If you stop by my thread I'm sure there will be some major train-wreak to give me a hard time about :)

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

It's just that tension you have before any competition: you can't DO anything yet, so you fret and stew. I wouldn't read too much into it. It'll dissipate once the sawing and drilling starts. :) Racing greyhounds wear muzzles....

18. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Tele-Holic

Hey Paul, I'm not sure that this has been brought to your attention.
    Last year, I voted off of my iPad,and there seemed to be a glitch. It only let you vote once, but for however many builds you wanted. I wanted to test it out to see if it would actually let me, and I ended up voting for 7 people. It could have been fixed in the new app, just wanted to let you know.

19. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

It may have seemed like it to you, but that doesn't necessarily mean that all the votes counted.

20. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Thanks for letting me know. I'll take a look at it. But, that would have been the perfect thing to contact me about last year. Don't you think?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.