2014 Build Challenge Rules Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TDPRI, Feb 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    I'm assuming you mean the Cabronita Class. Yeah that could be clearer - non-standard as in "not a standard telecaster pickguard." A better way to restate that is: Anything BUT a standard Telecaster pickguard.

2. Kent Wilkinson

Kent Wilkinson Tele-Meister

Thank you

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm assuming that if a store-bought, 2-piece body blank is out, a store-bought, 2 piece maple top is also out. Is that accurate?

In which case, I have to cut this thing in two and glue it back together next month.... :neutral:

4. kissTheApex

kissTheApex Tele-Afflicted

Seems so. one bean asked a similar question and was told he can't pay someone to cut a piece of wood for book matching (post 198) so i'm pretty sure anything doesn't count as raw wood would be out..

5. Jupiter

At least mine's a simple do-over. ;)

6. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    If you guys don't want to make all of your guitars by yourselves you should simply not enter the Challenge. That's what the Challenge is all about.

You can still build your guitars - just not as part of the Challenge.

Think about it - the goal is to see you take a pile of wood and turn it into a completed guitar. Not to see you pay someone to make something you can fashion into a guitar and we'll just skip those steps in the build threads. If that was OK then you might as well just have the shop make the body and neck while they are at it. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

7. Jupiter

Thanks. I agree; just confirming. The only place in Japan I know where to get a maple board has 'em already glued together, is all. I'll get to sawing. :)

8. Onebean

Onebean Tele-Holic

Hopefully this is my last question. I am considering a chambered body with no F hole. I asked on the the forum, if a chambered Tele existed outside of the custom shop, and here's the answer I got.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecast...r-ever-produced-chambered-tele-no-f-hole.html

For the beginners class, can I build a chambered body Tele with no F hole? Thank you for your patience on these questions.

Onebean

9. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Here is the answer to your question - the rules as written:

10. ItZaLLGooD

ItZaLLGooD Tele-Holic

The key word in the rules is "shape".

11. Onebean

Onebean Tele-Holic

Ok, thank you. I should be ok if I go with a chambered body. I just didn't want to get disqualified on a technicality.

Onebean

12. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    The "Keyword" is not "shape".

So, I'm not sure I'd pay any attention to that.

You don't need a ruling from me on this. You can follow the rule and if you do you cannot be DQ'd. However, if you don't follow the rule expect to be DQ'd.

I would add that I think the key phrase is - regular production. FSRs and NAMM shows are not regular production. And, "line" is not meant to be that they were built on the production line - but that they were part of the regular production line of products offered for retail sale.

13. Onebean

Onebean Tele-Holic

I think I'm still ok. By the response in the linked post, chambered Tele's were normal production at least 2 different times. Is that your opinion?

Onebean

14. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Tele-Meister

I had seriously considered entering this year, but with the complexity of the rules and the snippy tone, frankly it doesn't sound like a bit of fun. I'll just watch, and post my next build in a thread of its own.

15. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    If you have a reference of a standard production model Telecaster that is similar to the build you are planing - in the beginner class -- then you are within the rules.

The rules are pretty clear, and I've clarified them in that standard production models do not include Custom Shop, FSRs or NAMM builds.

But I'm not going to make a ruling on your question because the rules answer your question for both you and me.

16. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

What exactly is so "complex?" They are the most open rules ever. If your afraid of the challenge then don't do it. But please don't bash Paul for doing his best to not get pressed into a loophole by stupid "what if I....." questions.

17. Onebean

Onebean Tele-Holic

Sorry if you see my questions as stupid. I'm just trying to keep from getting DQ'd because I patterned my Tele off a model considered by the Administrator as a none production model.

Onebean

18. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

So enter the open class....fixed

19. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    ^ this.

20. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Guys - the difference between the open and beginner classes is pretty significant.

Ya - someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think the rules are clearly talking about the outside of the guitar - what can be seen - chambering is inside the guitar. Except for the VRI class, I think if your talking about making a chambered tele without an f-hole I would think that's totally within the rules for the Beginner Class as it's just going to look like a production shaped tele when your done.

The Open class is not a great option - IMO - if you are not ready to make a neck too. I think making a body first - if you have not made one - would be a good first and logical step as it's the way most of us did it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.